Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Select first entry and go back a page?

It's what I have to do on the Word processor as the first heading is at the start of the actual text.
Well, in Word, et al, you CAN use a heading style for the TOC, of course, which would put that on the document map or nav pane or whatever it's being called these days. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:39 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, in Word, et al, you CAN use a heading style for the TOC, of course, which would put that on the document map or nav pane or whatever it's being called these days. ;-)

Hitch
Yes, but I deliberately don't make "Contents" be a heading; I have a few paragraph styles for visual headings that are text/body level so things that look like headings are not added to TOC (NCX), or visual Contents page automatically or manually created from Heading Levels. Nor to do I link headings back to the visible Contents entry. I think both are pointless. Some ereaders don't even support links, but do have system TOC (NCX) and jump to beginning.

I've started adding a QR code for external links, which works on paper and any ereader if you have something that can read QR codes and use the Internet.

My first check of an ebook is in Calibre Viewer. I check that the system TOC/NCX matches the headings document map in Word or LO Writer. Then I check that they go to the correct places.
Then I check other internal and external links.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-19-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, but I deliberately don't make "Contents" be a heading; I have a few paragraph styles for visual headings that are text/body level so things that look like headings are not added to TOC (NCX), or visual Contents page automatically or manually created from Heading Levels. Nor to do I link headings back to the visible Contents entry. I think both are pointless. Some ereaders don't even support links, but do have system TOC (NCX) and jump to beginning.

I've started adding a QR code for external links, which works on paper and any ereader if you have something that can read QR codes and use the Internet.

My first check of an ebook is in Calibre Viewer. I check that the system TOC/NCX matches the headings document map in Word or LO Writer. Then I check that they go to the correct places.
Then I check other internal and external links.
Yabbut, my point was, during the "working on the file" period, it's easiness itself to simply use indicated heading styles (e.g. "Heading_temp") so that everything you want to readily find is on the NavMap. Then change them when you're ready to rock with a simple S&R, searching for that style and replacing it with the text/paragraph style of your preference. Two Steps.

Hitch
Old 09-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yabbut, my point was, during the "working on the file" period, it's easiness itself to simply use indicated heading styles etc Two Steps.

One more thing to remember to undo and I'd hardly ever want to jump to the human readible Contents page anyway! I might use a real Heading level for Front matter pages and Contents page on the version edited for paper.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

One more thing to remember to undo and I'd hardly ever want to jump to the human readible Contents page anyway! I might use a real Heading level for Front matter pages and Contents page on the version edited for paper.
Okay, one more "I meant...": I meant, if you are working on a very long, complicated document like I used to, using heading styles and outline mode is pretty much everything. I used them for frontmatter and the like all the time, even if I wasn't going to be using them later on, in the final document/book/whatever. (We did an 1800 page book, at my company, and for a variety of reasons, some amount of cleanup had to be done in Word, first. Trust me, the nav map was the end-all, be-all, along with outline mode.)

I realize we're talking book processing here, but for very long tomes, headings+outline mode +/- the nav map can save your sanity.

That's all. I won't belabor it even more at this point. :-)

Hitch
Old 09-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Okay, one more "I meant...": I meant, if you are working on a very long, complicated document like I used to, using heading styles and outline mode is pretty much everything.
I absolutely agree. Totally. Without reservation!