Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #391
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
if I don't want anything Kobo, and want to avoid the Kobo experience altogether, do I need to log into my Kobo account? I would just prefer to stay in airplane mode and fly solo, also side loading patches, books, etc.

thanks all.
Yes you can fake a registration. But IMHO, I see no reason for doing so. I registered my H2O and I've never done a sync in the 5 years I've owned it. The WiFi has never been on except for registering. So just turn on the WiFi, register and then keep WiFi off. That's the easiest solution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #392
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
@JSWolf

thanks. sounds like a plan. or maybe fake a registration. I've never been "off the grid" with my ereaders, but I like the idea.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 12:26 AM   #393
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
@JSWolf

thanks. sounds like a plan. or maybe fake a registration. I've never been "off the grid" with my ereaders, but I like the idea.
Kobo does not check the email address when you register your device so that's the easiest way to not give any personal information. Just remember imapseudonym@erewhon.net and annonymous@nehwon.org are already used.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:38 AM   #394
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kobo does not check the email address when you register your device so that's the easiest way to not give any personal information. Just remember imapseudonym@erewhon.net and annonymous@nehwon.org are already used.
10/4

thanks. great tip!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #395
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

is it normal for Kobo to display italics as bold text on the Clara (or all Kobos)? is this something I can adjust in Calibre or elsewhere? thanks. (epub)
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #396
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
is it normal for Kobo to display italics as bold text on the Clara (or all Kobos)? is this something I can adjust in Calibre or elsewhere? thanks. (epub)
It may be an issue with the font you are using. There have been issues where the font names do not reflect the internal font names or the 4 font variant files are not named correctly. A rather old thread has some details on this. Check Simple Fix for the Stupid Italic/Bold Bug for more information,
Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #397
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@JSWolf

There's no reason. When you download from Overdrive or buy eBooks, you have to give your information. It's no different doing a proper registration.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #398
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
It may be an issue with the font you are using. There have been issues where the font names do not reflect the internal font names or the 4 font variant files are not named correctly. A rather old thread has some details on this. Check Simple Fix for the Stupid Italic/Bold Bug for more information,
thank you. they are Kobo fonts.

Avenir Next (one I like the best and closest I could find to what I'm used to)
Amasis (just okay)
Old 12-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #399
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no reason. When you download from Overdrive or buy eBooks, you have to give your information. It's no different doing a proper registration.
no info given
Old 12-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #400
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
thank you. they are Kobo fonts.

Avenir Next (one I like the best and closest I could find to what I'm used to)
Amasis (just okay)
In that case, we move on to issues with the ebook styles. Does this problem show on all your ebooks? Can you try running a problem ebook through the calibre ScrambleEbook plugin so it can be attached to a message here or PM a link to the ebook.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #401
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
In that case, we move on to issues with the ebook styles. Does this problem show on all your ebooks? Can you try running a problem ebook through the calibre ScrambleEbook plugin so it can be attached to a message here or PM a link to the ebook.
thank you. I tried another Kobo font that works great for me too and it doesn't have that issue so case closed. I appreciate your time and input.

I am hopeful that the issue has been completely resolved because I only have one book on so far. I need to covert the rest and side load. it was my test case and came across beautifully after converting from original format. should there be further issues I may reach out to you again.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #402
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
no info given
You need to be logged into the library's Overdrive. That means you've given your details when you got your library card. So yes, info given.

When you buy an eBook, you have to give info.

So yes, info given. There is no way to borrow or buy eBooks without giving info.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #403
zelo86
zelo86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2o
How to store bookmarks

Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new to the forum and I'd like to ask a question here, I think it's a simple one that has already been answered but I can't find the info I need.
I own 2 ereaders, using one or another as I feel like.
I use Calibre and Kobo desktop for loading ebooks. In Calibre I use Kobo Utilities to store/restore the reading position, but I haven't find a way to store/restore the bookmarks (I'm talking about the dog-ear) I have on the ebooks.
Is it an Annotation plugin feature? If is that so I guess there's no way to transfer this info from one ereader to another, right?

Thanks to anyone who could help me in advance.

Nicola
zelo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #404
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelo86 View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new to the forum and I'd like to ask a question here, I think it's a simple one that has already been answered but I can't find the info I need.
I own 2 ereaders, using one or another as I feel like.
I use Calibre and Kobo desktop for loading ebooks.
If you have firmware 4.20 or later, don't use Kobo Desktop to load eBooks. The problem comes from the new series feature released with 4.20. With Kobo Desktop, you cannot use the series feature correctly if you side load using Kobo Desktop. You need to use Calibre to do all your side loading with the series column information set correctly.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #405
zelo86
zelo86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2o
Thanks for the information, I'm on 4.20.14622 fw.
I don't use series feature often, but it's nice to know.
zelo86 is offline   Reply With Quote