Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #121
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Rellwood - The system default style issue was solved ==>> post# 107

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #122
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hasn't worked so far, unfortunately. Either it deletes all the empty lines between paragraphs, leaving none, or does nothing at all. I haven't managed to figure out how to remove only the excessive empty lines, not every one of them. Isn't there a template somewhere for the comments field, that could be edited?
I had a similar problem with using S&R on Comments - could get it do do what I wanted. I put it down to my incompetence, and hacked out a one-off version of the Cleaning Comments plugin.

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #123
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

When the search bar is displayed it hides top right corner of text.

When using a dark background the next/previous page vertical bars flash white when the mouse is moved over them. I would never click on those bars, perhaps they could be optionally hidden.

Not having the controls visible means for things like increase and decrease font I can't get a reminder of the kb short cuts by hovering the mouse over the button. To get a reminder I have to get into preferences, then into keyboard shortcuts, find and open the the one I've forgotten and click X my way back to the text - by which time I've forgotten what it was

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #124
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When the search bar is displayed it hides top right corner of text.
Make the top margin larger if it bothers you.

Quote:
When using a dark background the next/previous page vertical bars flash white when the mouse is moved over them. I would never click on those bars, perhaps they could be optionally hidden.
No but I think I will change them to use the color scheme, so they will be less obtrusive. They are not very important anyway, given that on first run the viewer shows help explaining how to turn pages.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 AM   #125
jhack-jos
jhack-jos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle / Calibre
Japanese text skipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@jhack-jos You probably have the viewer in flow mode, put it in paged mode and you should be fine.
Thank you for the suggestion! I put it in page mode, but it did not solve the problem, in fact things got worse as now the text is also cut in the bottom. It still skips from chapter I to chapter VI in the example ebook I attached.

One note: the ebook I attached is totally free, it is not copyrighted and it is released by Aozora Bunko, a Japanese Digital Library based on voluntary work that specifically releases non-copyrighted ebooks. The author (Natsume Soseki) died on 1916, and 103 years have passed since his death. Let me know if I am missing something, eventually I can create an example ebook with random text myself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aozora_Bunko
Attached Files
File Type: epub Botchan - Natsume Souseki.epub (232.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #126
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
In macOS it will happen automatically if you start calibre after switching to dark theme. On windows make sure you have set the interface style to system default and it should follow whatever the system colors are. On linux what you get will vary depending on various things.
Thanks for your response, but I have been trying to use the dark color and it just keeps with the white color and only the top bar in black. Here are some screenshots:

Just to remember yes I did restart Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	173416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	173417  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #127
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Make the top margin larger if it bothers you.

No but I think I will change them to use the color scheme, so they will be less obtrusive. They are not very important anyway, given that on first run the viewer shows help explaining how to turn pages.
Good-oh.

Ctrl+f for search doesn't always work, same with '\' works - sometimes neither work, sometimes both, sometimes one or t'other - can't work out why or when - I would prefer an option to have it showing all the time.

I can't find Recent books or Bookmarks - I have bookmarks in some of my frequently used references texts. They are not in the books, they are/were in the config I think -- or maybe they're in the library.

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 05:51 AM   #128
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Thanks for your response, but I have been trying to use the dark color and it just keeps with the white color and only the top bar in black. Here are some screenshots:

Just to remember yes I did restart Calibre.
I believe that Windows setting only effects new-fangled Windows apps such as Cortana, Calculator, Timer and Alarms, and Settings itself, not legacy Windows apps like calibre, notepad etc - not even Word, Excel etc.

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #129
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit Metadata's "Comments Editor" comments_editor.py

Kovid,

The Edit Metadata's "Comments Editor" comments_editor.py is used with very minor changes in my Entities Manager plugin for creating Notes about a particular Entity. Since Calibre 3's current "Comments Editor" uses "from PyQt5.QtWebKitWidgets import QWebView, QWebPage", then obviously I need to change EM to use whatever the Calibre 4 "Comments Editor" will be using.

Might you make the .zip source code for the current Calibre 4 Beta available for download too?

Thanks.

DaltonST
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #130
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Dalton_ST: The calibre source code is uploaded with the rest of the beta files (it is the .tar.xz file). Or you can get it from github (the engine branch is used for calibre 4)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #131
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
I believe that Windows setting only effects new-fangled Windows apps such as Cortana, Calculator, Timer and Alarms, and Settings itself, not legacy Windows apps like calibre, notepad etc - not even Word, Excel etc.

BR
Yes indeed, on windows that setting only affects metro apps, you have to change the traditional system theme colors those will affect traditional apps such as calibre.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #132
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I had a similar problem with using S&R on Comments - could get it do do what I wanted. I put it down to my incompetence, and hacked out a one-off version of the Cleaning Comments plugin.

BR
Modifying plugins goes quite a bit above my head, I'm afraid.

I experimented with using the Cleaning Comments plugin as-is, but the results were pretty much the same. Couldn't get the paragraph spacing right.

Is there no way at all to bulk insert html code into the already existing comments without deleting them? I know you can bulk insert whatever you want in the comments field (use it on the newly added books all the time), but it will delete the existing comments.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #133
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Still more about the new comments field. I found that in the stable release (3.47.1) I can insert paragraph margins both manually and by bulk S&R. But in the beta, I can't. Not either way. When I put them manually in, they won't stick (after closing the metadata editor, they're just gone). When I insert them by S&R, they won't be there either. So it's actually impossible to adjust spaces between paragraphs in the beta. I wonder why and if it might be possible to change this behavior?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #134
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Moderator Notice
With jackie-w's approval, I have moved the posts regarding the problems she's having in getting her ScrambleBook plugin working under V4 into a separate thread ==>> ScrambleBook and Calibre 4

Thanks Jackie.

BR
Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #135
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@sirtel: How are you inserting paragraph margins? As in what code are you using and what procedure to insert it?
Closed Thread