Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Angry ePub margins expand if zoom!

Please help, I'm not a techie, so be gentle with me.

I've noticed that when I put ePubs on my PRS 505 and set the font to large, I get huge margins and a narrow strip of text in a column down the middle of the reader. I've tried correcting this in Calibre, to no avail. I haven't got ADE, because for some odd reason, it won't work and has just given me more problems.

Is there a way round this, if so, please explain in language I don't have to google or phone a techie, non ereader, friend to translate to BookCat speak.

Thanks
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
This is most likely due to the margins being specified in 'em's. The unit 'em' is based on the current font size - 1em being the current font size; 0.5em being 50% the current font size; 2em being 200% the current font size, etc. So increasing the font size will increase the margins.

Assuming you are using windows, you should be able to fix this manually by renaming the file to .zip (ie. rename "book.epub" to "book.zip"). You should then be able to open the zip file and see it's contents. You will then need to find everywhere margins are specified and change them to something suitable - eg. 5px. If you are lucky they used a single shared CSS file and you only need to change it in that one place. But anyone who specified margins in 'em's is probably no expert so they could be declared anywhere in the epub's xhtml or css files.

Not sure how non-techie you are, so if those instructions give you problems just let us know where you run into problems and we can try to help you out.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Troy; I'll try this with an epub which isn't important, incase I mess things up. Will put it onto the reader and let you know how I get on.

Had to google the definition of CSS! Yep, that's how non-techie I am.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J

I'm having difficulty with the old Harlequinn ePub I chose to try this on: all the margins are specified in percentages. What should I do?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J

Unhappy

After I messed with the file and turned it back into an epub, it wouldn't open at all! Doesn't look like an epub file either. Oh dear! I'm sure I've done something terribly wrong.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The ePUB is just a zip, but it has to have a definite structure, maybe you failed to keep it when recreating the ePUB. It's probably easier to use Sigil to edit the ePUB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, margins