Notices

Old 04-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Abax1969
Abax1969 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab A8
Unhappy Metadata Download Problems

Windows 10
Calibre 3.20 64 bit

Some sources work such as Amazon, others such as Google, Google Images and Goodreads result in "Hung worker".

I have made sure Windows Firewall has proper exceptions for calibre.exe and calibre-parallel.exe.
I have disabled Avast Webshields.

No difference. Help, please?

Starting job: Download metadata for one book
Job: "Download metadata for one book" failed with error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 84, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\bulk_download.py", line 251, in download
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 227, in fork_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 105, in communicate
WorkerError: Worker appears to have hung

Called with args: ([105675L], u'C:\\Users\\Bax\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_pw 3tf5\\wakzsj_metadata_bulk.log', <calibre.db.legacy.LibraryDatabase object at 0x000002408E5D25F8>, True, True, None) {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x00000240E4C85A48>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x00000240E71E3EB8>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x00000240E71E3E80>}
Abax1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something is interfering with the worker process calibre is using to download metadata, most likely your anti-virus. I'm not familiar with avast so I can't say if disabling web shields actually prevents it from interefring with things or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Abax1969
Abax1969 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab A8
I'm still testing, but it appears you nailed it.

I've used Avast for many years without issue and then several weeks ago I started experiencing a much slower PC and several unexplained bugs in various software, including Calibre.

I uninstalled Avast and even without a restart, all the bugs disappeared. Calibre now running flawlessly again.

Now to choose a different AV.

I am open to suggestions. Anyone?

Thank you, Kovid. Not only for your assistance with this but for such a high "caliber" software. Pun intended.
Abax1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
rwmcafee
Connoisseur
rwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it is

Device: none
I use ESET Internet security without any problems. I also use Malwarebytes premium. But, they do cost some money.

For Window 10 though, you can use the Windows Defender (I think it's called) it comes with along with Malwarebytes premium.

But whatever Antivirus program you use, I strongly suggest you use Malwarebytes with it.

Hope this helps.
rwmcafee is offline   Reply With Quote