Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Under the new agency rules I will...
Pay higher prices for most books. 13 32.50%
Pay lower prices for most books. 5 12.50%
Pay higher prices for some books but lower prices for most. 4 10.00%
Pay higher prices for most books but lower prices for some. 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
How will the new agency rules affect you?

I'll try not to affect the poll with my comments, but the conclusion is forgone.

Last edited by Angst; 04-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It changes nothing for me. I won't pay more than the cheapest print version for an e-book. The agency model just means there may be a few more books I skip on. But no biggie as there are a gazillion books priced reasonably (or free) for me to read.

So in the poll I'm not sure I can vote as I think I'll be paying pretty much the same I am now--whatever the paperback price on Amazon is, or $9.99 for stuff in hardcover. As that's all I've paid for Kindle books thus far.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-08-2010 at 03:47 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
It's too early to say as things are still far from settled.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I don't know about you guys, but I smell higher prices coming. That's where the little guy will excel, because if the big guys are making you pay through the nose, the little guy can undercut them and win big. So IMHO, this is a win for smaller authors and publishing houses, and a lose for the big guys. And if they get their feet blown out from under them, they only have themselves to blame.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
mykoffee
Enthusiast
mykoffee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I think you need an option, under the Agency Model I will -

Purchase less ebooks and visit my library and used book store more often.

Linda
mykoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykoffee View Post
I think you need an option, under the Agency Model I will -

Purchase less ebooks and visit my library and used book store more often.

Linda
I can't figure out how to change the poll, or I would!
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I personally won't change my spending limits. I may buy fewer books because fewer are within my range, but there are also plenty of books that are from places that do not follow the agency model.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I can't figure out how to change the poll, or I would!
Find a Mod and ask them to add to it, if you can't do an edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I personally won't change my spending limits. I may buy fewer books because fewer are within my range, but there are also plenty of books that are from places that do not follow the agency model.
My reasoning also. (also, sad to say, but I will possibly buy used pbooks for those that I have to have now.)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Darknetting them is *definitely* 'paying lower prices'.

And with the massive book-jacking (similar to car-jacking but the only victim is my (and then the author's) wallet) that the Big-5s 'Agency' plan has caused, I will certainly be considering the darknet approach far more often. Sorry authors, but you have the Big-5 publishers to thank for this. Please feel free to let them know your displeasure.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Not sure how to vote on this one, as none of the options match what I'm willing to do. Whilst I think prices will overall be higher, I certainly won't be paying them. I'll wait until either the price drops or I find something else to read.

That said, whilst Baen books remains, I'm happy either way
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
None of the above and I'm not fond of your choices.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Since last year my buying pattern has changed.

I still get Webscriptions from Baen.

I now buy Regency Reads and Harlequin direct and not through Fictionwise as I used to.

Not counting from these publishers - my buying has severely dropped.

1st-8th March - 12 ebooks
1st-8th April - 3 ebooks

I'm discovering there are other places and publishers if you look - and the books you find can be just as entertaining.

Also with the right Audible membership you can get some audiobooks cheaper than the ebook version.

If this fiasco keeps up they'll lose my custom permanently because I'll have filled the gap they made with a product from someone else. (Embroidery kits, petrol for trips to countryside etc)
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm not buying any books at the higher prices.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
So far I'm not buying books under the agency model at all because I can't find a way to do so! (Other threads bear witness to the fact that I'm trying...)

What I do going forward will depend on IF/WHEN the publishers deign to roll their books back out to the retailers. As Harper Collins at least hasn't managed to get their own webstore up and running yet, I'm not holding my breath waiting for anyone else to get them back soon.

But my view of what's a sensible price to pay for a book won't change so my massive TBR stack might go down as I buy less. Since getting my reader I've probably been buying faster than I read so that's not neccessarily a bad thing. Or if they straighten out the prices on their backlists I might buy older books rather than the hottest new thing. Even that will probably mean I buy less though -- if I'm not tempted to buy something by a new author when reviews are coming out then chances are I won't remember to keep checking back to see if the price has come down. That means less established authors might lose out.
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I'll be paying lower prices for most books - because I'll be using my local library and used bookstore! Hmph! :P
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote