Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Amazon recruiting engineers to improve Kindle browser

From http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/03/ama...er-for-kindle/

Quote:
A job posting for a browser engineer at Lab126, the division of Amazon that develops the Kindle, indicates the company is looking for somebody to develop “an innovative embedded web browser” for a consumer product.

The role at Lab126 includes designing new features for a new browser while supporting the existing code. Job requirements include familiarity with current web standards and web rendering engines, as well as experience with Java and embedded Linux, both of which the Kindle runs.
Link to job posting: https://sub-amazon.icims.com/jobs/11...ob?in_iframe=1
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Not only could this be to improve the current Kindle, but perhaps for a new Kindle.... Interesting and good....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
mmm I hope they don't do something stupid and attempt to create their own proprietary browser.

They have plenty of options for web browsers which we know already support standards, they should be using webkit (the basis for safari and many other browsers), which is frequently updated, and has an open source and corporate community behind it. Since the Kindle has that linux base, webkit should be the ultimate fit. Going off and doing their own thing means more issues with standards compliance and security hacks without a doubt.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Though I don't need a black/white browser, it would be a nice feature.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Maybe these engineers could also try hard to come up with a folder/collections system for the Kindle instead of displaying all of the books in one big list. Since they still haven't gotten around to that basic feature, it must be REALLY tough.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I just use my kindle to read on... I'm not interested in web browsing - I've got my computer and netbook for that.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have my doubts the browser is for the existing Kindle. Perhaps Amazon is thinking about a newer, color device, or a dual-screen device much like the Nook, that can properly utilize a color browser screen.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
How many appliances do you need that connect to the internet?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
How many appliances do you need that connect to the internet?
This is an odd question to me.

I prefer which or what appliances do you need that can connect to the internet?

A carry-everywhere digital device for content consumption? You bet I want to access the internet on it from time to time. If I just want to read a novel, I can close the browser and load up the ebook.

Frankly, I'd much rather have internet access on a tablet or reader than on a cell phone. I would find a camera much more useful on a phone though than on a tablet.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm thinking this is a play for future products and most likely ties in to the SDK they plan to release. It seems everybody who is building an embedded devices is following Apples App store strategy of releasing a browser with a webkit.

For the first time in months I finally used the browser on the kindle yesterday to read a blog thebuffalotrader.com. It was quite nice. The browser was too slow to surf but good enough to read blogs.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
Lets just go back to the Lynx browser
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote