Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
missing files in 0.6.29 precompiled bz2 package

I decided to upgrade from 0.6.19 (which was installed via the oneliner late in October) to 0.6.29 on my Slackware 12.2 laptop.

I used /usr/local/bin/calibre-uninstall to remove x.19, and made sure /opt/calibre was empty.

I installed python 2.6.4 from source, but I am not upgrading glibc until Slackware releases 13.2; therefore I started with the x.29 source. ./setup.py choked on a missing plister (or something like that) module, further research indicates that's for OSX so I didn't try and find a way to build either the module or calibre. Unfortunately, python is not my strongest language. Hopefully, by caliber v1.0 the environment testing won't be so strict.

I downloaded the precompiled x.29 binaries from sourceforge and extracted it to /opt/calibre. I confirmed that calibre works by invoking it from the command line. It found the database, and I spot checked a couple of encodings and all seems well so far.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate any setup scripts, desktop menu files for KDE or udev rules. The core application works, and I was able to manually add calibre to the KDE menu. I downloaded the src for x.31, but 'find' was unable to locate "*rules*" or "*desktop*". I did find some icons, but IIRC .ico is a windows format. The .png files I found seem to populate the application itself.

On a related note, there were no scripts to 'ln -s' the executables into /usr/local/bin, but that was a trivial task.

When I connect my Sony PRS-600, I see the udev system mount both the system and SD RAM as /dev/sd*; however, the device or SDcard are not detected by calibre. IIRC, I saw the calibre-uninstall script remove some udev rules.

Would it be possible to make the aforementioned missing files available? Thanks!
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have to run the calibre binary installer for the desktop files and the mount helper (they are dynamically generated)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Thank you for your prompt reply. I took another look at the exploded package, and I tried /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall.

That script did the trick. It may be worthwhile to document this at http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux to save the next poor schmuck some time.

Thanks!
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop menu, linux, udev, upgrade