Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever met someone from MobileRead IRL?
Yes and I want to again. 19 32.20%
Yes and never again. 0 0%
No, but I would like to. 35 59.32%
No and I don't care to meet anyone. 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Have You Ever Met Someone from MobileRead IRL?

I know I have and I plan to do it again at the next Washington, DC Area Meet-up (27 June 2009 in Alexandria, VA.)

So I ask you, "Have you ever met someone from MobileRead IRL?" Would you want to meet someone from MobileRead? Why?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I know I have and I plan to do it again at the next Washington, DC Area Meet-up (27 June 2009 in Alexandria, VA.)

So I ask you, "Have you ever met someone from MobileRead IRL?" Would you want to meet someone from MobileRead? Why?
I haven't, but it's an interesting question. Could it be like when a film made from a book you liked was disappointing - your own imagination is almost always better than any film maker could create.

For example, my imagination has provided the following pen-portraits of some of the people here:

DesertGrandMa - just the archetypal old (but not too old), white haired lady. Constantly baking an apple pie, always prepared to stop and play with the grandkids

Montsnmags - surfer dude, bermuda shorts, blond hair, uses MR between bouts of surfing and barbecuing

Zelda - big noise in Parisian literary circles. Mysteriously attractive. Has a large number of hopelessly devoted male admirers who all play second fiddle to Zelda's MR addiction

Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
More shameless marketing of your meet-up, eh Master Wood? Well, okay. You and Zelda seem bent on blowing past Texas in meet-ups. (Isn't there another Paris meet-up last Tuesday?)

Anyway, yes, I've been to a meet-up and met several MRers and would gladly do it again. A perhaps more curious question is "Have you ever met someone from MobileRead in real life for the first time but not at a meet-up?" If anyone answers yes to that, I would love to hear the story.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I haven't, but it's an interesting question. Could it be like when a film made from a book you liked was disappointing - your own imagination is almost always better than any film maker could create.

For example, my imagination has provided the following pen-portraits of some of the people here:

DesertGrandMa - just the archetypal old (but not too old), white haired lady. Constantly baking an apple pie, always prepared to stop and play with the grandkids

Montsnmags - surfer dude, bermuda shorts, blond hair, uses MR between bouts of surfing and barbecuing

Zelda - big noise in Parisian literary circles. Mysteriously attractive. Has a large number of hopelessly devoted male admirers who all play second fiddle to Zelda's MR addiction

I think of Zelda the same way! Heh.

I haven't get, but since I'm going to the VA meetup I will be soon.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've met Zelda, Alexander, Natch, Hadrien, and a lot of the Parisian forum members, as a result of going to some meet-ups in Paris.
They are all utterly charming and lovely.

At the moment I'm extremely tempted to jump on a plane and go to the Virginia meet-up. Then I'd be able to meet more of the American members and escape from work, which is horrid and stressful at the moment. But I have a load of deadlines to meet, so it's not possible, alas.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I've met Zelda, Alexander, Natch, Hadrien, and a lot of the Parisian forum members, as a result of going to some meet-ups in Paris.

At the moment I'm extremely tempted to jump on a plane and go to the Virginia meet-up. Then I'd be able to meet more of the American members and escape from work, which is horrid and stressful at the moment. But I have a load of deadlines to meet, so it's not possible, alas.
The simple solution would be just to fly here and stay until your deadlines are over
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm sorry, Patricia. I hate the universal truth that the time you most need a vacation is the time when you can least afford to take one. There should be a Law of Thermodynamics or something that guards against things like that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
There are quite a few people here I'd love to meet, and I do hope to make it to one of the Paris meet-ups!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
If Rebarnmom and I can ever get our schedules together, a meetup is in the works. If BadgoodDeb would care to make a trip out to the sticks, we'll be glad to include her as well!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I attended the first 2 Texas meet-ups. Also had dinner with Dixie-Gal and her main squeeze.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I have never met someone from MobileRead in real life but i plan to do it at the first german meet-up (27 June 2009 in Frankfurt/Main). I can hardly wait until then...

(Yes, this is just another shameless marketing of our meet-up. )
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post

I think it would be lovely if you could come!! I am looking very forward to the event. I would love to attend a meet-up in Europe to meet people on the "other side of the pond". I also think it would be great fun to meet some of our Canadian neighbors, like Yvan and Verencat. I suggested an International meet-up in another thread once. To me, that sounds like a great time!

By the way, Patricia, there isn't a link in your signature line. Can anyone sign the petition? I would very much like to support you.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have had the true honor of having dinner with Elsi and her loving husband (see above), and was charmed by Slayda and his daughter, and BookishDreamer at our southeastern meetup last autumn. If there was any way possible to go to NOVA, we would go there also.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I have had the honor of meeting Ricky Maveety..........and hope to do so again sometime.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I think it would be lovely if you could come!! I am looking very forward to the event. I would love to attend a meet-up in Europe to meet people on the "other side of the pond". I also think it would be great fun to meet some of our Canadian neighbors, like Yvan and Verencat. I suggested an International meet-up in another thread once. To me, that sounds like a great time!

By the way, Patricia, there isn't a link in your signature line. Can anyone sign the petition? I would very much like to support you.
We would too!!! I think you know by now how much I'd like to go to the NOVA meetup... *if* I win the lottery by then, I'll be there, and to every other meet up there is, across every pond there is! (it's on my dream list of things to do if I suddenly get rich - not posted though, still in construction)

I answered "no, but I'd like to", because I kinda met my dad loooong before MR... But the real answer is "no, but I'd really, really, really like to".

..........I'll may be able to catch a ride to N-Y this summer with a friend, and then be able to meet Alpha :crossingfingers: Don't say it too loud, I don't want to jinx it!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote