Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
kindle dx autoflip - is it a curse or blessing?

I have a kindle 1.0 and have put it to heavy use. I have been looking at the kindle DX and it's new autoflip feature and trying to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing, also wondering if it can be disabled.

The best use was shown in crunchgear's hands on video. It lets you rotate the unit so it is upside down. This puts the next/prev buttons on the left so you can use your left hand. I switch hands when I am putting in a long reading session so that helped me feel much more comfortable about there being no left side buttons.

I was going to suggest that doing a landscape view would zoom in on the text a bit making it easier to read, but it won't change the font size so it will just display more text horizontally in that mode. Sure it is good for pictures and charts but that is a minimal concern for me.

The iphone uses this model for web browsing. I both love and hate it there as well. The detection hardware doesn't always trigger when I tilt the unit, causing me to right it, then re-tilt till it finally takes. Very frustrating when it happens. They are modeling this feature after the iphone from the look of it and I wonder how sensitive it will be? I would get annoyed with it changing in the middle of reading a page because I tilted just a bit too far. Especially with the noticeable refresh times and the brief page flash, just enough to break your eye line and cause you to loose your place briefly. All the hands on videos I have seen were careful to make the switch on purpose, I didn't get a feel for how sensitive it is.

What do you guys think? I think I would be stuck using it to enable left hand use, but I am not sure I would like it otherwise...I would have preferred left side buttons. lol.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Lol, I missed the last couple of seconds of the video where they clearly demo'ed the ability to lock in a particular view. That makes it a bit easier to swallow. http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/06...zon-kindle-dx/
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I was just about to point that out. :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapar View Post
I was going to suggest that doing a landscape view would zoom in on the text a bit making it easier to read, but it won't change the font size so it will just display more text horizontally in that mode.
It will zoom the text for PDFs, and in fact for PDFs there are only two available font "sizes": a) portrait mode and b) landscape mode.

For MOBIs, landscape mode would allow a larger practical font size (because this is limited by how many letters will fit on a single line), but Amazon is apparently limiting the KDX to the same font sizes as the K2. See Font Sizes on DX.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote