Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Just a reminder....

Yesterday, my six-month old Paperwhite was put on charge. Long after it should have been charged the light was orange. I unplugged the charger, waited a bit, plugged it in and got an orange light. So, I did a reset and as soon as it was done I plugged in the charger and the light was green as it should have been. The reset does correct a number of glitches.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yesterday, my six-month old Paperwhite was put on charge. Long after it should have been charged the light was orange. I unplugged the charger, waited a bit, plugged it in and got an orange light. So, I did a reset and as soon as it was done I plugged in the charger and the light was green as it should have been. The reset does correct a number of glitches.
Orange is normal.
The most you needed to do was re-start the Kindle, not reset it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A reset is rather a drastic step to take. I would take me days to reload all my books if I had to do one (which thankfully, in the 2 years I've had my Voyage, has never happened). Did you not try simply rebooting it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I used the wrong word. I did not reset it to original. And, orange is not normal for either of my Paperwhites. The light turns green when it finishes charging.

Since I have the option of view downloaded books and all books I rarely have many books actually downloaded so it's not a big deal for me to reset to factory.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Me too. I set mine to factory defaults at least once a year, and often twice. Usually I do this to avoid problems, not because I have a problem. I just keep 20 or 30 books on board as a rule but sometimes I get sloppy and have more. Still it's no problem. I reset it and just download my current book and a few other books I might read next.

That's with my Kindle. With my Kobo I keep more books on board but since everything is sideloaded I keep a backup so if I reset it I can have it back like it was in just a couple of steps.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I was curious and looked in the Kindle Paperwhite User's Guide, which states:

"When your Kindle is charging, a lightning bolt appears on the battery icon at the top of the Home screen. The indicator light on the bottom edge will turn amber while the battery is charging and green when it is fully charged. Charging should take less than four hours using a Kindle AC adapter. Charging using 3rd party adapters or via USB should take less than four hours, but may take longer depending on the capability of the hardware."

The User's Guide does distinguish between restarting and resetting a Paperwhite. On the latter, the User Guide states:

"Resets your Kindle to its original settings and restarts it. You should select this action only if instructed to do so by Kindle Customer Service. Before you reset your Kindle to its defaults, you must back up any personal documents that you'd like to keep. Once your Kindle restarts, you will need to register and download your items from the Cloud. If you want to passcode-protect your Kindle, you must also set up a passcode again."

I have restarted my PW3 on a few occasions, when it did not work properly, but have never reset the PW3.

Last edited by kaibob; 04-11-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added remarks about a device reset
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Isamilis
Connoisseur
Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2015, Oasis, Paperwhite 2016
I reboot my Kindle every 2-3 weeks, whenever I finished reading 1-2 books. Maybe it's just me.
Isamilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

My Voyage glows orange when charging and green when charged. That is what it is supposed to do, so I'm not sure what the "orange is normal" statement was all about. Perhaps that poster was confused or merely used a poor choice of words in conveying his/her thoughts. Restarting a Kindle every now and then is good, but resetting not so much. I never do a total reset of any device unless I selling/gifting it or something major goes wrong. And if something major goes wrong, a reset is the last thing I will try.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My Voyage glows orange when charging and green when charged. That is what it is supposed to do, so I'm not sure what the "orange is normal" statement was all about. Perhaps that poster was confused or merely used a poor choice of words in conveying his/her thoughts. Restarting a Kindle every now and then is good, but resetting not so much. I never do a total reset of any device unless I selling/gifting it or something major goes wrong. And if something major goes wrong, a reset is the last thing I will try.
Read the second sentence of the first quoted portion of the user's guide contained in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81&postcount=6
Once more, then the fog will lift.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Read the second sentence of the first quoted portion of the user's guide contained in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81&postcount=6
Once more, then the fog will lift.
Yes...that second sentence says exactly what jswinden said. Orange while charging, green when fully charged. It is absolutely NOT normal for it to be perpetually orange while plugged in. It should only be orange until it is fully charged.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yes...that second sentence says exactly what jswinden said. Orange while charging, green when fully charged. It is absolutely NOT normal for it to be perpetually orange while plugged in. It should only be orange until it is fully charged.

Shari
The question was: "it was orange when I first plugged it in ..."
The answer was: "perfectly normal"

= = = =

I certainly could have provided a bit more context in my original reply.

But I don't think I am the first poster in these forums to not include relevant context.

Last edited by knc1; 04-23-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The question was: "it was orange when I first plugged it in ..."
The answer was: "perfectly normal"

= = = =

I certainly could have provided a bit more context in my original reply.

But I don't think I am the first poster in these forums to not include relevant context.
And you won't be the last. Love ya.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Hmmm... I never look at the light ever. Your kindle is still working fine with orange light, right? Why bother?
Mine I just charge it every week.

Last edited by 344a; 04-23-2017 at 08:16 PM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote