Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #16
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
For China nonfiction
Mao - The Unknown Story by Jung Chang
Restless Empire - China and the World Since 1750 by Odd Arne Westad
The Scramble for China by Robert Bickers

Russia and Siberia
In the Land of White Death - An Epic Story of Survival in Siberian Arctic by Valerian Albanov
The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant
Russian Magic Tales - From Pushkin to Platonov by Robert Chandler
Envy by Yuri Olesha
Petersburg - A Novel in Eight Chapters by Andrei Bely

Vietnam
Dispatches by Michael Herr
The Quiet American by Graham Greene
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you are travelling on the Trans-Siberian Express, you should of course read "Murder on the Trans-Siberian Express", by Stuart M. Kaminsky (very much a homage to Agatha Christie).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For France, I highly recommend The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay

Quote:
Paris, France: 1860's. Hundreds of houses are being razed, whole neighborhoods reduced to ashes. By order of Emperor Napoleon III, Baron Haussman has set into motion a series of large-scale renovations that will permanently alter the face of old Paris, moulding it into a "modern city." The reforms will erase generations of history—but in the midst of the tumult, one woman will take a stand.

Rose Bazelet is determined to fight against the destruction of her family home until the very end; as others flee, she stakes her claim in the basement of the old house on rue Childebert, ignoring the sounds of change that come closer and closer each day. Attempting to overcome the loneliness of her daily life, she begins to write letters to Armand, her beloved late husband. And as she delves into the ritual of remembering, Rose is forced to come to terms with a secret that has been buried deep in her heart for thirty years. Tatiana de Rosnay's The House I Loved is both a poignant story of one woman's indelible strength, and an ode to Paris, where houses harbor the joys and sorrows of their inhabitants, and secrets endure in the very walls...
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #19
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux
Also his Riding The Iron Rooster and Ghost Train to the Eastern Star.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #20
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
For Russia, you could try something by Svetlana Alexievich.
I recently read Secondhand Time about the breakup of the USSR - (available in German as Secondhand-Zeit. Leben auf den Trümmern des Sozialismus.) I thought it was wonderful. Probably only available in dead tree form yet, unfortunately.

Her Voices from Chernobyl is available as an ebook.
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #21
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Words of Mercury: Tales from a Lifetime of Travel by Patrick Leigh Fermor.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J75IQQO...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Quote:
The adventures of Patrick “Paddy” Leigh Fermor, Britain’s most beloved traveler, began in 1933, when he embarked on a walk from Holland to Constantinople—the entire length of Europe—at the tender age of eighteen. Sleeping in barns, monasteries, and, on occasion, aristocratic country houses, the young adventurer made way his through the Old World just as everything was about to change.

Words of Mercury collects pieces from every stage of Leigh Fermor’s life, from his journey through Eastern Europe just before the outbreak of the Second World War—described in gorgeous, meditative detail—to his encounter with voodoo in Haiti, to a monastic retreat to Normandy to try to write a book. Also included is the story of one of his most well-known exploits from the war—his planned and executed kidnap of a German general under British orders. Ever the student, “Paddy” also wrote extensively on his encounters with polymaths, linguists, and artists all over the world.

Over the course of his illustrious lifetime, Leigh Fermor wrote several acclaimed travel books, countless essays, translations, and book reviews, many of which are compiled in this anthology. His unique experiences out in the world fed his insatiable curiosity and voracious appetite for scholarship. His tales, written in a singular, elegant style, have inspired generations of writers and continue to shape the language of travel.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I recently read Secondhand Time about the breakup of the USSR - (available in German as Secondhand-Zeit. Leben auf den Trümmern des Sozialismus.) I thought it was wonderful. Probably only available in dead tree form yet, unfortunately.
I know it's available in the US, as I'm on the waiting list at one of my OverDrive libraries.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Well, thank you all. I'm looking at samples now, for the ones i wasn't aware of. Should keep me reading all into Asia. Anything for Thailand?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
For Thailand, S. P. Somtow (Wikipedia) is the premier sfnal author, and he's very good and a winner of multiple awards, though much of his work seems to be out of print.

There are some reprints via Smashwords (couponable @ Kobo), fortunately for some of the books I would personally recommend.
  • Jasmine Nights is a non-sfnal (outside of magical realism elements) coming of age novel featuring a friendship between a Thai boy from the privileged classes and an expat American, loosely based on Somtow's own experience growing up as an Eton and Cambridge educated distant relative of the royal family. I really liked this and it's one of my favourites of his, which I happen to own as a hardcover.
  • Dragon's Fin Soup is a collection of several of his sf/fantasy stories mostly set in Asia and showcases his style fairly well. I also have this in paper and it's a good selection, though perhaps not among his best. So you might be better off trying his Opus 50 which I haven't read, but is a retrospective anniversary collection with selected essays, poetry, and short stories which are supposed to have been selected from among his best.
There are also some really good Thai modern culture/ancient folklore-based short stories of his which appear in early volumes of those Gardner Dozois and Ellen Datlow/Terri Windling-edited Year's Best Science Fiction/Fantasy & Horror anthologies, some of which you may or may not already have as e-books if you've been getting the reprints.

Also, the reprint company which handles his Smashwords stuff offers a freebie sampler which contains a few full short stories, including one from Somtow himself: The Bangkok Writers: Tales from the other City of Angels

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-27-2017 at 04:45 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #25
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Well, thank you all. I'm looking at samples now, for the ones i wasn't aware of. Should keep me reading all into Asia. Anything for Thailand?
The Bridge Over The River Kwai by Pierre Boulle
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the_River_Kwai

Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/212246.Sightseeing
Old 03-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #26
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I suspect i have a decent selection now. I've eliminated everything i have already read unless i have it as ebook. I've also eliminated everything i can't get as ebook. I have one rucksack and no intention of going over 10kg. I've added a couple of my own thoughts, and once i have read the samples i will produce a list. I'll put it up here in case anyone is interested.
My other half will get them on his Kindle as well, although i think he will probably not wait until i leave to start reading. This is a problem for me, too. Will try to not read these books yet! Try. Hard.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Okay, I suspect i have a decent selection now.
Which books did you choose?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 AM   #28
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Hi, JSWolf. I'm still choosing, as there are quite a lot of samples, but I'll post the list in a couple of days.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #29
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

This is what is on the kindle, or will be as soon as I buy the remaining two or three. I'll be getting something for Cambodia at some point as well, haven't found anything yet. Something more modern for Myanmar would be good, and also a history of the death railway that I can actually buy on kindle while living in France. Or other format, thank you Calibre. Thank you all for your suggestions. I've read all the samples available.
And of course a large amount of my TBR list
  • France The House I Loved Tatiana de Rosnay
    Down and Out in Paris and London George Orwell Re-Read

Germany Round the World in Eighty days Jules Verne Re-Read

Poland A Country in the Moon Michael Moran

Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy Public Domain
    Russia Doctor Zhivago Boris Pasternak Re-Read
    In the Land of White Death Valerian Albanov
    Second Hand Time Svetlana Alexeivitch
    Master and Margarita Mikhail Bulgakov
    Tent Life in Siberia Public Domain
    Murder on the Trans-Siberian Express Stuart M. Kaminsky
    The Golden Horde Peter Morwood Free

China Riding the Iron Rooster Paul Theroux
    The Twoflower Discworld Novels Interesting Times, The Light Fantastic, and the Colour of Magic Terry Pratchett Re-Read
    Restless Empire - China and the World Since 1750 Odd Arne Westad

Vietnam Dispatches Michael Herr

Cambodia

Thailand The Bangkok Writers Danny Speight (Ed)
    Dragon's Fin Soup S.P.Somtow
    Jasmine Nights S.P.Somtow
    Sightseeing Rattawut Lapcharoensap
    The English Governess at the Siamese Court Anna Leonowens Public Domain

Myanmar Burmese Days George Orwell Re-Read
    Shooting an Elephant Re-Read

Everywhere How to Shit around the World Jane Wilson-Howarth
    Delphi Complete Works of Rudyard Kipling Rudyard Kipling Read some
    The World of Poo Terry Pratchett Re-Read
    Words of Mercury Patrick Leigh Fermor

Guide books Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand
    Lonely Planet Myanmar
Old 04-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #30
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
For death railway you could get The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan, it also got a Man Booker prize. Inspired by experience of his father who worked on the railroad.
https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-...h-world-war-ii
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote