Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #2431
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
Well, does anybody know how does the Kindle check what firmware version do you put on the root of it?

======

I mean, how does it decide to delete the update file?

Once you have installed 5.8.8+ on a kindle with an official update, it creates a file on the kindle names like "/update_version.txt"

That file has in it 'FB03'

Once that file is in place, you can no longer install 'FB02' packages, which is what the downgrade packages are all.

The actual installation process is in the linux kernel, with private extensions that amazon does not give the source to.

If you are already on 5.8.10, then no version of FB02 packages will install. you can now only install official amazon packages, or look into the 'serial' method.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #2432
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Once you have installed 5.8.8+ on a kindle with an official update, it creates a file on the kindle names like "/update_version.txt"

That file has in it 'FB03'

Once that file is in place, you can no longer install 'FB02' packages, which is what the downgrade packages are all.

The actual installation process is in the linux kernel, with private extensions that amazon does not give the source to.

If you are already on 5.8.10, then no version of FB02 packages will install. you can now only install official amazon packages, or look into the 'serial' method.
Thank you very much for the info!!! Your info may actually help me a lot to finish my jailbreak trick!
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #2433
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Thank you very much for the info!!! Your info may actually help me a lot to finish my jailbreak trick!
If it works, PM coplate immediately.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #2434
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
So, I'm trying to put the rootfs from the initial factory version to the 5.8.10 update package, just to get that ";installHtml" command.

Is everything clear now?

Sent from my pa_osprey using Tapatalk
Are you also making the *.sig files to match?

There is one of me, I answer more than one person's questions at a time, I am also trying to do my own work.
So making things clear helps.

Would you please disable the tapatalk advertisement when you post here?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #2435
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Are you also making the *.sig files to match?

There is one of me, I answer more than one person's questions at a time, I am also trying to do my own work.
So making things clear helps.

Would you please disable the tapatalk advertisement when you post here?
I don't know am I doing something wrong or KindleTool has some problems but I'm trying to sign the recovery2 package of a stock 5.8.10 with the pubprodkey02.pem (just to check would it install if it ever was unpacked) and when it's done, it says "unknown bundle". If I sign it with developer key or pubprodkey01.pem it works but the Kindle doesn't like that one (the certificate used from Amazon is pubprodkey02.pem) and it gives me Update Error 4.

When I give KindleTool argument "-k" and link it to the psig certificate I extracted from the original firmware, KindleTool just overrides my key with the default one.

Could someone tell me if they had that problem with KindleTool before?
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #2436
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know am I doing something wrong or KindleTool has some problems but I'm trying to sign the recovery2 package of a stock 5.8.10 with the pubprodkey02.pem (just to check would it install if it ever was unpacked) and when it's done, it says "unknown bundle". If I sign it with developer key or pubprodkey01.pem it works but the Kindle doesn't like that one (the certificate used from Amazon is pubprodkey02.pem) and it gives me Update Error 4.

When I give KindleTool argument "-k" and link it to the psig certificate I extracted from the original firmware, KindleTool just overrides my key with the default one.

Could someone tell me if they had that problem with KindleTool before?

You cannot sign the packages with the pubprodkey01.pem - that is the public production key part of a public-private keypair. Amazon holds the private key and does not give it out... that is the whole point.

The signatures are generated with amazons private key when they make then. then the updates are checked by using the public key with some mathematics I do not understand.

KindleTool probably has an error using the public key as a private key, and fails, defaulting to the developer private key that the folks on this forum have put together.

If we could sign things with amazons production key, we wouldn't need to jailbreak
Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #2437
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
You cannot sign the packages with the pubprodkey01.pem - that is the public production key part of a public-private keypair. Amazon holds the private key and does not give it out... that is the whole point.

The signatures are generated with amazons private key when they make then. then the updates are checked by using the public key with some mathematics I do not understand.

KindleTool probably has an error using the public key as a private key, and fails, defaulting to the developer private key that the folks on this forum have put together.

If we could sign things with amazons production key, we wouldn't need to jailbreak
Yup, that's what I just thought. So, is it a dead end?!

Surely there should be a way of making an update package, containing:

-uboot from 5.8.10
-uImage from 5.8.10
-rootfs from 5.6.0 (factory).

I don't know...
Old 08-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #2438
cstout
cstout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If it already has the jailbreak, it survives. You just need to reinstall Mrpi and any other hacks.
Well, my Kindle Voyage was jailbroken and I was enjoying all the benefits of having it that way and I left it in my backpack over the last month. In that time, not being used, it auto updated itself to the latest firmware 5.8.10. I only noticed this because my custom wallpaper was gone and it was back on the default.

My jailbreak did not survive this update. KUAL now opens with "Application Error - The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

I'm not sure what happened, why, or how, but I'm no longer jailbroken. :-(
cstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #2439
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstout View Post
Well, my Kindle Voyage was jailbroken and I was enjoying all the benefits of having it that way and I left it in my backpack over the last month. In that time, not being used, it auto updated itself to the latest firmware 5.8.10. I only noticed this because my custom wallpaper was gone and it was back on the default.

My jailbreak did not survive this update. KUAL now opens with "Application Error - The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

Install Mrpi then KUAL.
Reinstall any hacks you had before the update.

The jailbreak survived but not what you installed afterwards.

Jailbreak survives the update. The hacks must always be reinstalled.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #2440
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Quote:
Install Mrpi then KUAL.

And if that does not fix it, then you need to install the 'hotfix'.

We now have a special one, that you put in the top level of the visible USB storage area, eject (safely remove) the Kindle from your PC, then use the UYK (Update Your Kindle) function in the 'Settings' menu.

Here is the current, UYK-HotFix package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5

I just used it myself, it does work as advertised.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #2441
cstout

Quote:
Install Mrpi then KUAL.

You're my hero. Thank you so much.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #2442
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
You're my hero. Thank you so much.
I'm just the answering service. Others did all the hard work.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #2443
cstout

I once again greatly appreciate everybody's kind assistance on this forum. I absolutely blanked on the note that's posted everywhere...that you must reinstall hacks after an update. Thank you for not making me feel stupid. I'm back in business on the latest update. :-)
Old 08-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #2444
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I once again greatly appreciate everybody's kind assistance on this forum. I absolutely blanked on the note that's posted everywhere...that you must reinstall hacks after an update. Thank you for not making me feel stupid. I'm back in business on the latest update. :-)
No worries. Glad you are back up and running. Now since it has updated and you reinstalled, it might be a good idea to restart and charge it.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #2445
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Yup, that's what I just thought. So, is it a dead end?!

Surely there should be a way of making an update package, containing:

-uboot from 5.8.10
-uImage from 5.8.10
-rootfs from 5.6.0 (factory).

I don't know...

Like I said before, you can use those to make an FB02 package, but not FB03.

But this cannot be installed on kindles that have the downgrade protection.

The only way to make an FB03 package is to work for amazon/Lab126.

If you do want to keep looking at FB02 though, as I said in the other thread, the uImage for 5.8.10 has half of the downgrade protection, so do not mix it with 5.6.0.

Use 5.8.7 instead. of 5.8.10