Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-06-2015, 02:11 AM   #1
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Wink Looking for good demons versus evil angels novels

There are often good demons versus evil angels in mangas which I like. I wonder if there are western novels with the same thing: good demons versus evil angels. I don't mind the type or setting, or if it has romance.

Thanks!!!
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:45 AM   #2
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
Quote:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.
I liked the first book, but never got around to the sequel. I see the third book in the triology is here soon, so maybe I should pick it up again.

And then there's Brust's To Reign in Hell. Not quite what you asked for -- both Yahweh and Satan are mostly well intentioned, trying to do what's best in a difficult situation that escalates beyond control, into a disaster nobody wanted.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Aliette de Bodard just brought out The House of Shattered Wings. It's not quite demons vs. angels and definitely not a western, but there are clear angel/demon elements. The book is set in a post-apocalyptic Paris with fallen angels as part of the political structure.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
The Third Heaven: The Birth of God by Donovan Neal

Quote:
Heaven stands decimated by war. Lucifer’s exile places mankind at the center of the mad angel’s plot to overthrow God. Meanwhile, Michael must now take on a mantle of leadership that he did not seek and is tested to see if he is worthy of the title of Chief Prince. Will Michael succumb to a darker path or once again plunge Heaven into civil war? Find out in this gripping book of angels at war!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Third-Heav.../dp/B00S3SANBM
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Thank you for your suggestions!!!

I'm sorry if I wrote not clearly in my OP. What I meant that in the East, like Japan, their mangas, light novels and animes often have good demons, bad angels, bad fallen angels, and there are often conflicts between them, and I like to read that type of mangas and watch those animes. So in the West the tv show Supernatural that has bad angels is a good example. But for a novel I'd rather see both good demons and bad angels in the same book.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Sandra Hill writes an oddball romance series that features Viking vampire angels (!) fighting against a variety of demons as a backdrop to the romance story. Doesn't quite fit your bad angels/good demons categories--the vampire angels were sinful in life but now are redeeming themselves--but there's at least one good demon.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #7
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not quite what you are looking for but Simon R Green's Nightside series has both angels and demons in some of the later books and the angels are not "good."
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #8
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Also on a list of kind-of-related-but-not-exactly-what-you-asked-for: "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
There's a demon *) and an angel **) who have lived on Earth since the Fall. They are supposed to be enemies but have ended up best friends, and both of them have serious problems with the management above/below. Hilarious and serious, one of the best books I've ever read.

*) An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards.

**) 25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying 'Where is the flaming sword that was given unto thee?'
26 And the Angel said, 'I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.'
27 And the Lord did not ask him again.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Probably a little cliche but the YA series The Mortal Instruments has all kinds of supernatural entities (vampires, demons, demons, werewolves, other things I can't remember) pretty sure the main characters are part angel and full angels make an odd appearance.

It has been quite a while since I read it but I remember quite liking the books, the movie should be avoided though at least until after.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Not sure if it's exactly what you want, but I read and enjoyed:
Susan Ee Angelfall and World After
Danielle Trussoni Angelology and Angelopolis
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Richard Kadrey's "Sandman Slim" series might be what you're looking for.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:22 AM   #12
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2

God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #13
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
There are often good demons versus evil angels in mangas which I like. I wonder if there are western novels with the same thing: good demons versus evil angels. I don't mind the type or setting, or if it has romance.

Thanks!!!
An interesting question!

Some of your respondents' answers have piqued my curiosity as well as my imagination.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I bleeping love this book.

My own recommendation would be pretty much anything by David Dalglish. Not exactly what you're looking for but it features a lot of bombastic anime style action i.e. over the top swordplay and magic, and the later books of the Half-Orcs series features necromancy vs fascistic, overbearing angel warriors.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
To expand on this:

- Zelazny's Amber Chronicles can be seen as this, esp. the second part due to Merlin's nature
- Moorcock's _The War Hound and the World's Pain_ also has something of this aspect.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote