Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about DRM?
DRM doesn't bother me. As long as I can read a book on a computer I don't care. 18 6.41%
DRM is evil and should be done away with entirely. 200 71.17%
Quit whining about DRM, it's a dead horse. 13 4.63%
If DRM were a dead horse, DRM would be dead. 9 3.20%
DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy. 4 1.42%
Some other option not thought of for this poll 37 13.17%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's interesting that the option that best expresses the big publisher's declared reason for using DRM ("DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy") has received no votes at all.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #47
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's interesting that the option that best expresses the big publisher's declared reason for using DRM ("DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy") has received no votes at all.
Well, when one considers the fact that pretty much all of us know that you can get pretty much any book you want via piracy web sites, it would be hard for any of us to vote for that position with a straight face.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #48
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, when one considers the fact that pretty much all of us know that you can get pretty much any book you want via piracy web sites, it would be hard for any of us to vote for that position with a straight face.
Exactly. So the big publishers are either deluded or lying.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #49
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I think the publishers should be allowed to do what they want and people can then choose whether they want to buy from them or not. That's free market.

Also, I don't think DRM is "evil" but it's annoying. I hope that publishers eventually decide to do away with it and if consumers complain about it and protest it enough maybe they will.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Going by their other actions, especially author royalties, I'd mostly go with the former.
But I wouldn't rule out the latter.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #51
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Agreed. But both apply

Hatchette recently were spruiking the line that DRM is the best way forward.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #52
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I don't really care about it, I can remove it easy enough. So I don't really think it stops piracy at all, if you can use a computer you can remove DRM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #53
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Well, you have heard the publishers speak out here in this forum. DRM is not aimed at pirates (they know it doesn't work to stop those) but against casual sharers. Publishers expect that a lot of casual readers don't know how to remove DRM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #54
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Calibre (with 3rd party plugin) removes DRM so seamlessly that I usually don't even notice if DRM is present. So for me DRM is evil in the way a wet noodle is evil.
Yeah; DRM (once cracked--IIRC it hasn't been cracked for iBooks) is more along the lines of an inconvenience for the tech-savvy right now. However, if it actually could not be cracked, I would be really annoyed because I like the freedom to be able to convert my data and move it among ereaders, which I consider fair use (and my impression is that this is one of those things that the US courts have not conclusively ruled upon). I suppose it works to prevent the non-tech-savvy from sharing files pretty well. As prevention of large-scale piracy it's crap and always has been. I am not in favor of large-scale piracy, for the record--I think those who work on books/music deserve to be paid for their work.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #55
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I agree that some form of DRM may be needed for library ebooks, within limits. Currently the publishers are able to dictate terms to the library: ebooks "wear out" after X reads, pay-per-read, etc. So long as this nonsense is not allowed to continue I would not have a problem with encrypting library ebooks.
Agree this is a case in which DRM is actually a useful tool. But it's not a privacy-prevention tool so much as a lending-enabling tool. There are also other lending-enabling tools (Kindle and nook lending between individuals) using DRM *or something similar* (IIRC at least some of the books lendable under those programs don't have DRM for purchases at the request of the publisher, but that may be an other issue), and I would actually like to see that model *expand*.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #56
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I voted "DRM doesn't bother me." I've always been almost exclusively a reader of library books, and the main impact of DRM on me is to automatically return books at the due date. No more fines!

I also agree with "DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy," although, of course, it reduces piracy rather than preventing it. If you make something less convenient, you just increased the price. Consumption has to go down.

I can't imagine Overdrive's wonderfully extensive selection existing without DRM. Without DRM, I expect their selection would be limited to titles hardly anyone wants, and thus more like Freading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Publishers expect that a lot of casual readers don't know how to remove DRM.
And don't want to know.

Just theoretically, there might be people in this world who would feel like a thief breaking DRM, but might find it hard to resist a Life + 50 mobileread.com download in a Life + 70, or worse, country. I'm not saying I know for a fact that someone so vile exists in this orb of moral imperfection, but, well, there could be
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #57
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I voted "DRM doesn't bother me." I've always been almost exclusively a reader of library books, and the main impact of DRM on me is to automatically return books at the due date. No more fines!
This is my favourite part. I used to accumulate a few fines here and there for dtb loans, and now the book just expires. (I also like that the sony reader puts a time indicator *beside* a loan!)

I also appreciate when a hold comes in, and I start reading it, and the book wasn't all that and a bag of chips after all, and I can return it just like that in case someone else is waiting.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #58
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post

Hatchette recently were spruiking the line that DRM is the best way forward.
That's stupid. The music industry has already proven that drm the worst way forward and seems to have largely abandoned it.

Some companies never learn.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #59
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The physical Library books get a bit gross after awhile (Chocolate smudges? at least I hope that's what that was ), the ebooks are always nice and clean .
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #60
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
EEEEVVVILLLL.

Also useless since it can be overcome quite easily...one screen grab at a time when reading on your cloud reader.

I will not buy ebooks from Amazon until they get this mess with labelling DRM vs. non-DRM straightened out. (I believe authors would be well-advised to put "DRM-free" in their book titles as well.)

Back to Smashwords and Baen.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm