Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #2446
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Hi, the process I was talking about was specifically about trying to build an FB02 package that would work for PW3-32 Manga mode.

The FB03 packages must be signed with amazons official signatures.

The FB02 package is not signed itself, but still the individual parts need to be signed properly.

the FB03 packages of 5.8.8 and higher are what apply the "downgrade protection', thats why we need to keep using the FB02 packages.

So my goal was to extract the 5.7.4 'rootfs' with the 5.8.7 uBoot and uImage.

I tested with 5.8.10 uImage, but that is a bad idea, and I had to recover with serial port. Because only half of the new protections were available. ( I could have upgraded to 5.8.9 or higher instead of recovering with serial, but then I would not be able to downgrade again without serial - it wasn't bricked, I just could not re-install the same update. )

5.8.7 appears to fully support manga model, so I went with that one.

This still only works if people have the OS that is allowed to downgrade, 5.x 5.8.7, and 5.8.9.0.1 ( and other fresh out of the box images ).

If you are willing to try this 'frankenstein-update' I have it available here.

Code:
http://downloads.ficfeed.com/Kindle/update_PW3_5.7.4_5.8.10_scratch.bin
Reminder - this is a frankenupdate. I don't think it will brick a PW3-Manga, but there is always a small chance.

The name still says 5.8.10, but it should be better named "5.7.4_5.8.7".

@anhyeuviolet

What version is running on your manga model now?

Would you be willing to test this?
My PPW-Manga now is I am willing to test any software version but not sure if it can work with FW 5.8.10
But it worth a try. Please PM me.
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #2447
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
My PPW-Manga now is I am willing to test any software version but not sure if it can work with FW 5.8.10
But it worth a try. Please PM me.
oh yeah, still only works with 5.8.9.0.1

serial is still the only know way to do 5.8.10
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 AM   #2448
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
Once you have installed 5.8.8+ on a kindle with an official update, it creates a file on the kindle names like "/update_version.txt"

That file has in it 'FB03'

Once that file is in place, you can no longer install 'FB02' packages, which is what the downgrade packages are all.

The actual installation process is in the linux kernel, with private extensions that amazon does not give the source to.

If you are already on 5.8.10, then no version of FB02 packages will install. you can now only install official amazon packages, or look into the 'serial' method.
Well, if the "update_version.txt" says "FB03", then why can't I downgrade to something like 5.8.9.2, which also is a "FB03" package?

================

OK, actually I saw the file "version.txt" in the etc folder of the rootfs but I don't think that the Kindle checks it during update. I think that the Kindle only checks for "target OTA" number of the update file. I changed that number of the older 5.8.9.2 and the Kindle actually liked it. It started upgrading, even with a progress bar on the screen but after a few moments, I get Error 04. And that is because of the signature.

I don't really understand why NiLuJe's KindleTool even has the option to sign with pubprodkey02.pem when obviously it doesn't work, and isn't it possible to change the Target OTA revision and the Magic 1, Magic 2 and Minor numbers without resigning the package. Aren't those just some sort of meta data applied to the file, outside of the signature envelope?

Last edited by nicolasmart; 08-12-2017 at 02:59 AM.
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #2449
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And if that does not fix it, then you need to install the 'hotfix'.

We now have a special one, that you put in the top level of the visible USB storage area, eject (safely remove) the Kindle from your PC, then use the UYK (Update Your Kindle) function in the 'Settings' menu.

Here is the current, UYK-HotFix package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5

I just used it myself, it does work as advertised.
Should we change Step 6 of the first post accordingly?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #2450
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Should we change Step 6 of the first post accordingly?
The author, coplate, says: "Not yet".

The contents are exactly the same as NiLuJe's 'hotfix' package but he had to modify KindleTool to create the packaging.
It is "model locked" and signed (with our key) but it is "model locked" to every possible model.

Its original purpose was an easy way to rescue people who press: "Reset".

I am including it in the new "Serial port jail breaking" directions because if there is trouble with it, the user already has a serial port hooked up.

The "Serial port jail breaking" directions for the newer Diags menu **should** be completed sometime today.
Then if we can get some people to try them out and report back on them ...

Last edited by knc1; 08-12-2017 at 07:26 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #2451
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
ok, clear, thanks
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #2452
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
I don't really understand why NiLuJe's KindleTool even has the option to sign with pubprodkey02.pem when obviously it doesn't work
Kindletool does not have an option to "sign with pubprodkey02.pem".

It has an option to sign with any private key that you want.

It is there in case you don't trust the security of using a private key that everyone else on this forum uses. There are security risks associated with this, that are minr, but real.

Using the private key of anyone else lets a friend who borrowed your kindle install a package, that potentially lets them email a list of every book you read in the future ( maybe you don't want them to know you read 50 shades of gray ).

What kindletool allows is for you to pick your own public-private keypar ( you have to know how to make this ), and sign your packages with the private key. Then you put your public key onto the kindle as the file pubdevkey00.pem

Here it is direct from he help output of kindletool.
Code:
    Options:
      All the following options are optional and advanced.
      -k, --key <file>            PEM file containing RSA private key to sign update. Default is popular jailbreak key.

Last edited by coplate; 08-12-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #2453
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
Well, if the "update_version.txt" says "FB03", then why can't I downgrade to something like 5.8.9.2, which also is a "FB03" package?
<snip snip >
, and isn't it possible to change the Target OTA revision and the Magic 1, Magic 2 and Minor numbers without resigning the package. Aren't those just some sort of meta data applied to the file, outside of the signature envelope?
It does make sense that you should be able to change the target OTA of an FB03 package.

The problem is that FB03 packages don't come by themselves. Look at the file "update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.9.2.bin" in a hex editor, and you see that it starts with 'SP01". This is the "signing envelope" .

The entire FB03 package ( including the OTA target and magic numbers ) are signed, and that result is stored inside this signing envelope. That is why you cannot change the target ota of the FB03 package in a real update file.

The FB02 packages do not come packed inside signing envelopes, that is the reason we were able to use them to downgrade.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #2454
c33v33
c33v33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcxx View Post
Hi,

I have the same issue. ;installHtml is not working on my kindle.

Details:
Bought it beginning of the month.
PW3 (G090 G1) version 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011)
I did a reset before starting the steps (might be the issue..).
After having copied the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz on the kindle, i search for ;installHtml.
But it has no effect at all. (I tried resetting again, with and without registering..)

";dm" works, though.

Let me know if you want additional info.
Thanks!
I'm having the same issue. Same Kindle PW3, same serial, same firmware.
c33v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #2455
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No worry.
PW3 (G090 G1) version 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011)

But my colleague wanted to "help" me and confirmed when prompted for update.
So I'm now with a wonderful 5.8.10 (3202090019) PW3.
Which i guess will take even longer to have a solution to JB..

I still think I probably was not the only one with a 5.8.9.0.1 not able to run ;installHtml and this might help other people. So, thanks for your support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c33v33 View Post
I'm having the same issue. Same Kindle PW3, same serial, same firmware.
These reports are not making any sense.

Both of you, do the following on the very file used* and post the results:
Code:
knc1:~> gunzip -lv main-htmlviewer.tar.gz

method  crc     date  time           compressed        uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name
defla 1e25d898 Aug 12 11:15                 592               10240  94.4% main-htmlviewer.tar
If you don't have gzip/gunzp for your Windows installation, google can find you a binary.

* The most exact test would be on the copy that is setting in the top of visible USB storage, while it sits right there, untouched by any other command or software (I.E: don't use some funky Windows command or utility on it that might be "making it safe for the common person" or removing the .gz or adding some other extension).

Not even a cut and paste operation.
Make (???:\Kindle the current directory and test it where it sits).

Last edited by knc1; 08-12-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #2456
Dcxx
Dcxx began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.8.10 (3202090019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
These reports are not making any sense.

Both of you, do the following on the very file used* and post the results:
Code:
knc1:~> gunzip -lv main-htmlviewer.tar.gz

method  crc     date  time           compressed        uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name
defla 1e25d898 Aug 12 11:15                 592               10240  94.4% main-htmlviewer.tar
If you don't have gzip/gunzp for your Windows installation, google can find you a binary.

* The most exact test would be on the copy that is setting in the top of visible USB storage, while it sits right there, untouched by any other command or software (I.E: don't use some funky Windows command or utility on it that might be "making it safe for the common person" or removing the .gz or adding some other extension).

Not even a cut and paste operation.
Make (???:\Kindle the current directory and test it where it sits).
Used 7zip as I couldn't install anything on my computer:

Spoiler:
C:\Program Files\7-Zip>7z l "F:\main-htmlviewer.tar.gz"

7-Zip [64] 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18

Listing archive: F:\main-htmlviewer.tar.gz

--
Path = F:\main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
Type = gzip

Date Time Attr Size Compressed Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------ ------------------------
2016-07-15 02:20:00 ..... 10240 592 main-htmlviewer.tar
10240 592 1 files, 0 folders

C:\Program Files\7-Zip>7z l -slt "F:\main-htmlviewer.tar.gz"

--
Type = gzip

----------
Path = main-htmlviewer.tar
Size = 10240
Packed Size = 592
Modified = 2016-07-15 02:20:00
Host OS = Unix
CRC = 1E25D898
Dcxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #2457
coplate
Guru

After these reports of ';installHtml' not working on some 5.8.9.0.1 right out of the box, I wonder if the different hardware builds might have different setup scripts that affect this?

Is anyone willing to go through all this and figure out what model kidles people have had where it did work, and where it didn't work?
Old 08-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #2458
Dcxx
Dcxx began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.8.10 (3202090019)
Quote:
After these reports of ';installHtml' not working on some 5.8.9.0.1 right out of the box, I wonder if the different hardware builds might have different setup scripts that affect this?

Is anyone willing to go through all this and figure out what model kidles people have had where it did work, and where it didn't work?
Mine (not working) is a PW3 with serial starting with G090 G1(05...)
Dcxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #2459
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Used 7zip as I couldn't install anything on my computer:

Spoiler:
C:\Program Files\7-Zip>7z l "F:\main-htmlviewer.tar.gz"

--
Type = gzip

Date Time Attr Size Compressed Name
2016-07-15 02:20:00 ..... 10240 592 main-htmlviewer.tar
10240 592 1 files, 0 folders

C:\Program Files\7-Zip>7z l -slt "F:\main-htmlviewer.tar.gz"

--
Type = gzip

----------
Path = main-htmlviewer.tar
Size = 10240
Packed Size = 592
Modified = 2016-07-15 02:20:00
Host OS = Unix
CRC = 1E25D898
Is drive F: the Kindle's USB storage?
The entire point is to test the file as it is, on the Kindle's USB storage in the exact place the Kindle will be looking for it.

The one that failed should still be on your Kindle, since the command failing does not remove it.
THAT is the one to test, exactly where it sits, immediately before unplugging the Kindle from your computer and then using the main searchbar command.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #2460
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

If the (Build ID) following the firmware version in the "Device Info" panel is the same, it is the same build, regardless of where or on what found.