Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #31
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
I just downloaded this program and looked through it as well as the comments. Personally I know a half dozen or so programing languages, though Python isn't one of them. Looking through the DB and the VBscript connecting the DB I'm actually hit with the idea of developing in a different direction. I don't know about connecting to the python scripts, I haven't had a reason to do it in the past, but using the DSN I could create a cross platform PHP interface that was dynamic rather then static files as generated by the vbscript. The VBScript will be a helpful starting place in that endeavor if I go that way.

What do you think?
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddion View Post
I just downloaded this program and looked through it as well as the comments. Personally I know a half dozen or so programing languages, though Python isn't one of them. Looking through the DB and the VBscript connecting the DB I'm actually hit with the idea of developing in a different direction. I don't know about connecting to the python scripts, I haven't had a reason to do it in the past, but using the DSN I could create a cross platform PHP interface that was dynamic rather then static files as generated by the vbscript. The VBScript will be a helpful starting place in that endeavor if I go that way.

What do you think?
Is there are reason you can just run the calibre content server?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
giddion
Connoisseur

I found that I couldn't run Calibre's content server on one computer and edit the library on another. Similar to the NAS server issue I have the Calibre library on my home file server/web server and I want to be able to edit the library from a different PC. But by the same token I don't want to leave calibre up on that PC all the time.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I found that I couldn't run Calibre's content server on one computer and edit the library on another. Similar to the NAS server issue I have the Calibre library on my home file server/web server and I want to be able to edit the library from a different PC. But by the same token I don't want to leave calibre up on that PC all the time.
I see... BTW... you don't have to leave calibre "up" all the time. You can just run the content server from the command line... just leaving the content server running.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #35
giddion
Connoisseur

By "up" I was just meaning the systray/content server. The point is I electricity wise I only want to have the one system/server on 24/7.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #36
giddion
Connoisseur

Was also thinking that having an interface in php/asp/cfml whatever would encourage others to tweak their own custom UI for their collection.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #37
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I nearly have the functionality ready for release in python producing both static and dynamic pages, and supporting search capabilities.

One of my desires was to be able to run on my NAS box running under the Apache web server that is running there. I have limited the number of dependencies on other packages that are required. They are a lot less than the full Calibre system.

Tweaking the python version should be easy enough for those who want to do it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #38
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
cross platform PHP interface that was dynamic rather then static files as generated by the vbscript. The VBScript will be a helpful starting place in that endeavor if I go that way.
What do you think?
I'm not exactly a fan of implementations for proprietary platforms like Windows. Independently of the Python solution that's in the making and which I'm certainly going to try, a PHP-based application for this would be the most versatile one, I think, and the most natural nowadays for web solutions.

Thus, I'd be very interested in such a project.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I do plan on adding support for adding books/editing metadata and perhaps even running conversions to the web interface eventually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
a PHP-based application for this would be the most versatile one, I think, and the most natural nowadays for web solutions.
A PHP-based implementation would be very nice indeed.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #41
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Here is Calibre2Web updated to with a "Recent Additions" section added. Let me know what you think?

It currently lists up to 50 recent books - paginated every 10 entries. The number to list and the pagination interval are controlled by constants at the top of the script if you want to try varying the values to see if other values suit you better.
I like what I am seeing but just a small suggestion. Nothing about the app but rather it is always far more helpful if you edit the original post to reflect new version releases rather than bury the links inside the thread where people have a hard time finding them.

Just a suggestion.

If I get the gumption I might just see about converting your script to vb.net/SQL Server just for kicks (should be an easy shift) and see how/where it goes...though I have python, php and mySQL installed on all of our web servers as well. The real problem is I am too old and lazy to learn yet another language like Python or PHP, the first 10-12 were enough. I am now to the point if I can't do it on soemthing I already know, I don't code it, I just run it ...hehehehe...but being old, lazy and completely unmotivated I doubt I will do more than peek at your code a bit more.

Nice complement to an already wonderful app!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #42
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At the time there was no suggestion that anyone other than a small number of people were even trying the app! Also it was primarily a proto-typing exercise to see how things might work.

In terms of converting it to something else - SQL Server is not really practical as the calibre database is an SQLite one. In terms of conversion to VB, that should be trivial. I deliberately did not do it the first time as there is no need for a UI, and it would tie the app even more firmly to a PC environment - something that is not in the spirit of calibre. I actually want the final version to run on my NAS box which is not capable of running the main calibre application directly.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #43
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I would have assumed one with your obvious superior understanding would have done as suggested as a matter of course. Have fun with yourself.

FYI, SQL Server integration is trivial and was mentioned as something fun I might enjoy...sorry you found issue with the comment.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #44
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
[Coming in late...]

Hmm, means one can also share one's library with buds - right? Niiiice...

On whether this is useful: yes, for 2 reasons:
1) remote hosting on a server where I don't want to install calibre
2) structuring so I can work thro iPhone transfer methodically and apply 'categories' to each batch of transfers

I see in your code you have a section of "books by category". How are you doing that? I can't find 'category' in calibre, and I've been creating them manually in stanza. Perhaps this is actually a split based on tags - which is awesome...?

PS: Your iPhone crashing with large lists is probably related to memory. Use free memtool (only on jailbreak cydia I'm afraid) to clear up 20Mb of memory. It's a common issue in app dev; works for you, crashes for everyone else. Especially Jailbroken phones as these invariably have background apps added (sbs settings, intelliscreen, dialers, quicksms, WINTERBOARD!, etc)
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #45
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZA View Post
[Coming in late...]

Hmm, means one can also share one's library with buds - right? Niiiice...

On whether this is useful: yes, for 2 reasons:
1) remote hosting on a server where I don't want to install calibre
You should make sure that there is some security in place if sharing on the internet. You do not want books available to all-and-sundry or you might find the copyright owners having a go at you.
Quote:
2) structuring so I can work thro iPhone transfer methodically and apply 'categories' to each batch of transfers

I see in your code you have a section of "books by category". How are you doing that? I can't find 'category' in calibre, and I've been creating them manually in stanza. Perhaps this is actually a split based on tags - which is awesome...?
yes - the "categories" are being created from the tags. If you read the release notes you will see that a few categories (PAPER, OMNIBUS, WISHLIST) are being given some special treatment (because it suited me). I had wondered about saying categories starting with specific characters ("e.g. asterisk) should be given special treatment but could not make up my mind so nothing is done there (yet anyway).

I have also wondered whether Series at the Calibre level should also be turned into Categories at the Stanza metadata level so that they get listed by Stanza (which currently does not have the concept of series). That is one I have definitely been thinking about doing. If I did that I would also change the title to display as Seriesindex: Book name (as under the current series breakdwon) so that they get sorted correctly.

There are also items like the fact that under an Author I display the series that author has contrubted to - and if you follow the link to the series I list all the books in the series - not just the ones the author contributed to. This seemed a good idea at the time - I do not know what others think.

This is the sort of area I was hoping I would get feedback on to see what other peoples requirements were any ideas on "nice to have" features as they are probably different to mine.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-14-2009 at 07:30 AM.