Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #31
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
Gee whiz Bob, you are one fast poster here. I always get such helpful information from you.

I do have a PC we when travel. My DH always takes his but my software is on my laptop and not his. I guess the software isn't an issue is it, DUH! SO then the answer would be yes, I do have a PC with me.

My cell phone and PDA are different.

Thanks again!!
The Sony does require the driver for the reader to be installed before it will charge from the pc. You may want to plug it in before you leave to make sure it loads the driver ok without the software disc. I just tried it on my wife's laptop running vista and it found and loaded the driver fine, but better safe than sorry.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #32
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
The Sony does require the driver for the reader to be installed before it will charge from the pc. You may want to plug it in before you leave to make sure it loads the driver ok without the software disc. I just tried it on my wife's laptop running vista and it found and loaded the driver fine, but better safe than sorry.
Thanks!

I will give a charge on his. We both are running vista on our laptops so hopefully I will have the same outcome. You are so right....better safe thn sorry
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The Sony does require the driver for the reader to be installed before it will charge from the pc.
That's not true. I have the 500 and have charged it on a machine without the Sony driver installed.

That said, the 505 doesn't even need a driver.

I'm not sure why you feel this is the case.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 05-31-2008 at 07:32 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I tried to use the laptop to charge my 505 and the red light would not go on until after I had installed eBook Library and rebooted. After that it was fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #35
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's not true. I have the 500 and have charged it on a machine with the Sony driver installed.

BOb
Oh yea, you're right. I plugged my reader in the computer to charge before I did a thing.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #36
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
I will probably take along the charger just in case. I use an Ipod for my music but now I have the Sony that may change
I would take the charger as using one rather than USB charging is much faster and allows you to keep reading at the same time! On the other hand, I'd doubt I'd swap from an iPod for music...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #37
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's not true. I have the 500 and have charged it on a machine without the Sony driver installed.

BOb
Are you sure it didn't automatically install the driver when the device was plugged in? The Sony won't charge from a typical usb charger because of the need for the driver.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you talking about USB charging, Bob, or charging from a USB cable with a "PSP" tip? The latter will certainly work with no device drivers, but all reports indicate that neither the 500 nor the 505 will charge from a "dumb" USB charger, or a PC without the Connect software installed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Are you sure it didn't automatically install the driver when the device was plugged in? The Sony won't charge from a typical usb charger because of the need for the driver.
Yes, I'm sure. Next time I need to charge it I will try it once again on a machine that has no driver.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The 505 needs USB mass storage drivers, these are present on all OSes, the 505 charges from all OSes including windows without the connect s/w installed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #41
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
There are AA battery charging options for both the Sony and Kindle discussed in this thread so you really do not need to worry about battery life for either devices. You can get AA batteries almost anywhere in the world so even the most demanding mobile warrior should have easily available power options. Battery life is good on all these devices except iliad it seems.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote