Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2015, 01:52 AM   #1
Coudifter87
Coudifter87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Kindle Paperwhite vs Kindle Voyage - What is the best for you?

I have bought an older version of the Paperwhite from simpleshoppinglink.com last year, with only 2 gigs of storage. Speaking as someone who loves the cheap "complete works of" compilations, and often has to delete books from my Kindle to download new stuff, the new 4 gigs of storage is almost worth the upgrade all by itself.
Coudifter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Questions about the Kindle belong in the Kindle forum, to where I'm moving this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I don't see how your post has anything to do with the title. The 7th gen basic, 2014 PW, 2015 PW and the Voyage all have 4 gigs of storage.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The extra features of the Voyage are:
  • Reinforced glass screen which gives better contrast than the plastic screen of the PW.
  • Metal, rather than plastic, body.
  • Flush screen rather than recessed.
  • Considerably smaller size than the PW.
  • Haptic page turn sensors.
  • Light sensor to automatally adjust the light level.

Only you can decide whether or not these features justify the extra cost of the Voyage. I think they do, but you may reach a different conclusion.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
  • Reinforced glass screen which gives better contrast than the plastic screen of the PW.

Only you can decide whether or not these features justify the extra cost of the Voyage. I think they do, but you may reach a different conclusion.
I certainly respect HarryT and readily acknowledge he knows more about Kindles and ereaders than do I. I do know much more about what I like. Me? I like the Paperwhite. I like the Voyage, too, but if I'd known both I would have skipped the Voyage.

1. I'll give the Voyage an edge on contrast.
2. Plastic or metal body doesn't interest me. I've never broken the body on a Kindle and I've only had one where the screen broke and that was totally my fault.
3. Flush screen is nice so the Voyage is ahead on that.
4. Considerably smaller size. True, and that's a definite negative for me. I'm much more comfortable holding the Paperwhite when I read.
5. Haptic page turn sensors are lovely but I have them turned off. I like tapping and swiping.
6. Automatic light adjustment. Someone sold Kindle a bill of goods. Me? My eye doctor broke the news to me that my eyes are getting old. I kind of figured they were about the same age as my toes. In any case, I keep both the Paperwhite and the Voyage on bright and rather enjoy not having to mess with it. I need light to read in the dark but "fine-tuning" is silly, for me.

The Voyage is nice and the Paperwhite was an amazing step. For the price difference, make your choice. I live in Mexico so most of my choices are made based on what I read since I don't get to see the devices.

One last point on the Voyage vs. Paperwhite. I like the Kindle case for the Paperwhite. It's almost the perfect case for me. I detest the floppy Voyage case. Cute and possibly popular in California but to hold the Kindle while I read it sucks. I wonder what made Kindle think people do most of their reading with the Kindle sitting on a table or desk?

What I will give Amazon Kindle a solid 10 for its customer service and you get that with either the Voyage or the Paperwhite. I bought a Paperwhite 2 three weeks before they announced the Paperwhite 3. I had it shipped from the states. When the PW3 was announced I muttered a bit and then I thought, wait, I can send the PW2 back. I checked the date I ordered the PW3 and the date I received it. I called Amazon. My call was bumped to a supervisor and after perhaps 90 seconds on hold the supervisor returned and said, "Yes, you can return the PW2 and get a PW3 but you have to get it on the way today. I've already sent you shipping labels. Good luck."

I made it. Now I have the PW3 and the Voyage. A bit on the downside. Amazon opened a branch in Mexico. I can no longer get my Kindles shipped from the U.S. That means I have to pay the 17% IVA tax. Actually, I don't mind. It's a lot less than I pay the U.S. in income tax.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-17-2015 at 07:52 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
One last point on the Voyage vs. Paperwhite. I like the Kindle case for the Paperwhite. It's almost the perfect case for me. I detest the floppy Voyage case. Cute and possibly popular in California but to hold the Kindle while I read it sucks. I wonder what made Kindle think people do most of their reading with the Kindle sitting on a table or desk?
I like the Origami case for the Voyage a lot (I have the leather version), but there's a wide range of 3rd party Voyage cases available for those who don't. I never use the "stand" feature of the case.

The important thing, though, is to get something that's good for you. Everyone's going to have different opinions on these things - there's no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to personal choices.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like the Origami case for the Voyage a lot (I have the leather version), but there's a wide range of 3rd party Voyage cases available for those who don't. I never use the "stand" feature of the case.

The important thing, though, is to get something that's good for you. Everyone's going to have different opinions on these things - there's no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to personal choices.
And you like the floppy case. I'm amazed. As for third-party, no there is not a wide range. I keep looking at Amazon's accessories page and there seems to be three vendors. They no longer ship to Mexico and on the Amazon site for Mexico it's the Origami case or nothing. I did get a Moki case back when they shipped to Mexico. Other than having to do surgery on the case so I could see the green/amber light, the case seemed adequate. Until I tried to take it out of the case. I ended up scratching the back of my Voyage trying to pry the damned thing out of the case.

I'm glad you like the Origami. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I long for a Paperwhite case for the Voyage. Since I do value your opinion highly I got two spoons and managed to get my Voyage out of the Moko case with some additional cosmetic damage to the back of the Voyage. The Moko is now in the trash. I'm using the Origami for a third time so see if it's gotten any better. Right now, it's the Origami or nothing.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-17-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Patrick, I really like this case and will recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGO3FAK

It feels nice, it looks nice, and adds thickness that makes it easier to hold the Voyage.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I am another vote for the origami case. I love mine. It is easy to take my Voyage out if I don't want to read it in the case. I don't have a problem with the front flopping. I do use the stand feature quite a bit.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:36 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have the origami case, but prefer a book style case. I have multiple ones and the best are by Fintie and Swees. The Swees case seems very cheap on eBay.com, could you get one from there? I have two of them for the Voyage, the Gold and the Pink so I know they are good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Slim-B...item35ebd9e203

Fintie are more expensive. I found this listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Kindle-V...item25982bb61a

Both Swees and Fintie leave the top and bottom sides open, making them very easy to get the Voyage in and out of. I have the Omoton as well, which is similar to the Moko style (I.e the top is covered) and I hate it, I'd never touch one of those style cases again.

Last edited by Josieb1; 07-18-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
As for third-party, no there is not a wide range. I keep looking at Amazon's accessories page and there seems to be three vendors.
Maybe a few more than three when I search from Voyage Case, but maybe not as many options as some earlier models had. As Josie mentions eBay is another option as is Esty and of course if one wants to spend the $$$ there is Oberon Designs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:

I tried both the new paperwhite and voyage yesterday at best buy. I was able to play with the settings and look at them side by side. The voyage was night and day better to my eyes than the paper white. I was a little surprised there was that much difference based on what I've read here at mobileread.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I got an ACcase from Amazon and I love it. Easy to get the Voyage in and out of. And it's green!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I got an ACcase from Amazon and I love it. Easy to get the Voyage in and out of. And it's green!
I have that one too, in Aqua. it's in the loft for when I hand over my Voyage to hubby. It's a nice case.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
patrickt
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Patrick, I really like this case and will recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RGO3FAK

It feels nice, it looks nice, and adds thickness that makes it easier to hold the Voyage.
Thanks, Haydnfan. I'll keep that in mind for when my sister visits Mexico in January. Amazon won't send that case to Mexico. Actually, they don't seem to be sending anything connected to Kindles to Mexico since they open Amazon.com.mx.

Am I correct that you can see the green/amber light on the Voyage when it's in that case?

I did write Amazon and tell them my dream case for the Voyage would be the Paperwhite case with the magnetic back that on the floppy Origami case.

Tags
best ebooks, kindle, paperwhite, upgrade, version