Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
CC library disappears until I clear cache

I've noticed a minor issue on my Nook HD+. After I download a few books using the content server, then disconnect, then go back to the library view, the entire library is gone. There are zero books showing. I will toggle the various views/filters/tags to try to get books to show, but none do. It is easily remedied, however, by clearing the cache using a cache cleaner. But this has happened 2 or 3 times now, and only since the last update. I've never seen this before.

Also, this only happens on my Nook HD+ running stock based on ICS. It has never happened so far with my Nook HD running CM11 KitKat, and I download more books to that device than my HD+.

Any ideas what is causing it?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@Pat: Clearing what cache? What tool are you using?

I don't know what is happening, but I suspect an out of memory issue that running the other app clears by forcing Android to terminate CC. Could you send me a debug log next time it does (Settings, Send debug log to MultiPie)? There will be two To: addresses on the email. You can erase the multipie.co.uk one.

EDIT: you could send me the current log. The error could easily still be in it.

Thanks.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello Charles,

I just emailed you the current debug log from my device. The anomaly occurred within the last 24 hours. It was likely the last time I connected to my PC, which was by content server. But there is a small chance it was the time before that (also by content server).

I did use an app killer before cleaning the cache to stop CC. Here is the cache cleaner app I used:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...infolife.cache

The CC app was in the list of apps when I hit the button to clean my device.

Hope this helps.

--Pat
Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I know what is going on, but I haven't completely traced the effects. It has to do with delays between downloads using the content server. More than 30 seconds *might* trigger the problem. That "might" comes from Android's highly complex application life cycle.

The problem seems to be related to being looking at first letters of a category when you start the content server. If I am right then hitting the back button might clear the situation and redisplay the library. It also might cause CC to exit, and the next restart might show the library.

I am making a few changes that will prevent the situation I found from happening. We will see once I make the next release, probably in the next week.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@PatNY: I note from the debug log that you are running the "prerelease" production version, not the latest. It won't have any effect on this problem, but you might want to go to google play and check for upgrades just so you are at the latest.
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
PatNY
Zennist

Thanks, Charles. I just updated to the latest CC on the device that had the issue. I also just twice tested downloading books to that device using the content server, and the issue didn’t arise again. Perhaps it was just something with the prerelease version I had installed?

I was hesitant to even report this since only 1 of my devices had the issue. Hence I figured it may just be something unique to the way that particular tablet was set up. It was also a relatively minor issue with an easy fix. But I decided to go ahead in case you had other reports of it. But if you don’t, maybe you might want to hold off on making any changes unless and until you do.

--Pat
Old 03-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Thanks, Charles. I just updated to the latest CC on the device that had the issue. I also just twice tested downloading books to that device using the content server, and the issue didn’t arise again. Perhaps it was just something with the prerelease version I had installed?

I was hesitant to even report this since only 1 of my devices had the issue. Hence I figured it may just be something unique to the way that particular tablet was set up. It was also a relatively minor issue with an easy fix. But I decided to go ahead in case you had other reports of it. But if you don’t, maybe you might want to hold off on making any changes unless and until you do.

--Pat
Reporting the problem was certainly the right thing to do. It is certain that something inexplicable happened. If I don't hear about these things then there is no possibility of finding the underlying problem.

On that note, your debug log helped me find some internal CC behavior that is wrong. I cannot say that it causes your problem, but in any event CC shouldn't do what it does and I have fixed it. I also added some more logging that will help find a problem, should one remain. I am going to make a CC release tomorrow (Saturday) that fixes the wireless device connection problem that people have reported. It also contains the changes triggered by your report.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

CC V3.3.2, released today, contains some changes that might fix this problem. In addition it contains more logging that will help find the problem should it not be fixed.