Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Question New iphone SE with old Marvin 2.9.1

My new iphone SE installation involved bringing all apps from cloud backup of my iphone 4. Once done, many of my old apps automatically performed upgrades on the new iphone.

1. The images on the Marvin website look like a different application than the one I ported from my old iphone. I paid for my version of Marvin, so do I automatically get to upgrade to the new version of Marvin?

2. How do I modify my exisiting Calibre installation so that it pays attention to the new iphone?

3. My android talks to Calibre over wifi (via Calibre Companion). Does Marvin have this ability also?

Thanks.
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Marvin 3 is a separate app from the original Marvin.

Not sure about the current status of Marvin when it comes to Calibre, but there is now a version of Calibre Companion for iOS that may be of interest.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
I'd just bought the old version which said it worked with Calibre and it no longer did. A few weeks later, Marvin 3 came out. He had a discount for a day or two and I missed it. But, having to pay for the new version didn't bankrupt me.

It seems the problem is iPhone's security that makes sideloading annoying at best. I have Calibre Companion for the Android and stopped using it. I just use Calibre there and that's what works best for me. Others may find CC quite useful for Apple stuff.

Marvin associates Dropbox downloads and I find that an easy way to sideload. I am a KISS kinda guy.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
RottenRonnie
RottenRonnie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: FBReader on droid, Hyphen on iOS
Instructions here are for Marvin v2, not sure if they apply to v3

Start your Calibre Content Server, then open Marvin and:

Home > Library > Get books > OPDS > Search local network > calibre server

That should get your server contents listed, then downloading to the device is pretty easy. I should add that I used to use FBReader and have only been on iOS for the past week.
RottenRonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, upgrade