Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
About processors

Can someone tell me which processors use Aura HD, Aura H2O and Glo HD?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Namenlos
Enthusiast
Namenlos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
All are Freescale i.MX, like in almost all ebook readers. I think the H20 and probably also the Glo HD has a i.MX 6 and the Aura HD a Freescale i.MX507/508 like all the previous ones. Google should help and confirm this. But it is not like it would matter imo.
Namenlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
iMX5 on the H2O (unfortunately).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
iMX5 on the H2O (unfortunately).
Seriously? Only one core? Several other ereaders more cheap have two core, like energy sistem for example.
It isn't so important like in a tablet but... is some old chip in my opinion.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:58 AM   #5
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I don't think CPU creates any kind of bottleneck while reading.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
Namenlos
Enthusiast

NiLuJe is right, it is an i.MX5 on the H2O. Interesting some reviews say it is a i.MX6 which is wrong (zee Germans ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Seriously? Only one core? Several other ereaders more cheap have two core, like energy sistem for example.
It isn't so important like in a tablet but... is some old chip in my opinion.
You don't need a fast cpu, if your display is only able to display less than two frames a second. Your mentioned "Energy Sistem" tablets have LCD displays with a much higher refresh rate.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
boriar
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namenlos View Post
NiLuJe is right, it is an i.MX5 on the H2O. Interesting some reviews say it is a i.MX6 which is wrong (zee Germans ...)

You don't need a fast cpu, if your display is only able to display less than two frames a second. Your mentioned "Energy Sistem" tablets have LCD displays with a much higher refresh rate.
Nop, the energy sistem eReader Pro is a REAL eink device. I have used one myself. It has android system 4.2.2 and it's faster than H2O (mine), really. That's why I ask for the processors for kobo devices.

Edit: It has a ARM Cortex A9 dual core and iMX5 is ARM Cortex A8 monocore

Last edited by boriar; 05-05-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Clarify processors
Old 05-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
boriar
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I don't think CPU creates any kind of bottleneck while reading.
Not for reading, but in the treatment of images and pages refresh
Old 05-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The interest with the iMX chips is that they bundle the eInk controller, which is always a plus.

I seriously doubt the interest of a multi-core chip for general purposes eReaders (no multitasking, and nearly nil background work, so parallelization loses its interest), but the jump from A8 to A9 (iMX5 -> iMX6) is certainly a very noticeable bump in quality of life (at least it was on Kindles, we'll se how Kobo handled that with the Glo HD, which apparently uses an iMX6).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-05-2015 at 11:34 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Not for reading, but in the treatment of images and pages refresh
PDF rendering can be a huge CPU hog, if it's complicated vector graphics.

For normal reading, it should not matter. Even if it takes a bit of time to render the next page, that can be done before actually flipping the page, so by the time you're done reading the current page, the next page is all ready in the cache.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
boriar
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
PDF rendering can be a huge CPU hog, if it's complicated vector graphics.

For normal reading, it should not matter. Even if it takes a bit of time to render the next page, that can be done before actually flipping the page, so by the time you're done reading the current page, the next page is all ready in the cache.
That's exactly what I think. Also, if you need pass some pages (if you don't know where is something in the text, for example) quickly, there's no time to render next page in time.

Although, all of that isn't a criticism to H2O. I really love it and think it's the best (for me) at the moment but it's a big surprise that don't has a ARM A9.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
Namenlos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nop, the energy sistem eReader Pro is a REAL eink device.[…]
Interesting device, in a German price comparison I only found their tablets. Apparently Amazon sells it in Germany over a merchant which is Energy Sistem itself.

Somehow the ssh on my device is not working anymore, otherwise I would have tested how much cpu time 10 page turns cost. Would be interesting imo.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Energy Sistem reader looks like a Boyue. I intent to buy one Boyue. Maybe I will buy from them for the guaranty.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote