Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
DennisB
DennisB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905B
Davidfor
I also have a Touch N905B with this problem. I appreciate the instructions you have given, and would be eternally grateful for a link to the image.
Thank you!
Dennis
David need your model so he can send you the image in PM. The model number is on the end of the device with the USB port.
after that you write the image on the sd card see here.[/QUOTE]
DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #18
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
Hello.
I wanted to give my kobo touch to someone, so I thought I would do a factory reset. Unfortunately, the reader no longer works. Factory resetting is always on screen. Key combination reset does not work - only the blue LED is flashing. Unfortunately, my version is N905 - i.e. without an internal sd card. Is there a chance to save this device somehow? Can it be started from an external card? Thank you for your help.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:37 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.t.h View Post
Hello.
I wanted to give my kobo touch to someone, so I thought I would do a factory reset. Unfortunately, the reader no longer works. Factory resetting is always on screen. Key combination reset does not work - only the blue LED is flashing. Unfortunately, my version is N905 - i.e. without an internal sd card. Is there a chance to save this device somehow? Can it be started from an external card? Thank you for your help.
You have charged it? The blue LED flashing a bit and turning off will happen when there isn't a charge. And the N905 Touch is old enough that the battery probably doesn't hold a charge. See what happens if you have it plugged in.

Otherwise, there is probably nothing you can do. It might be possible to book from the card, but, I don't remember hearing of anyone doing it for the Touch. It has been mentioned for the original Aura, but, I don't have details of how that is done.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #20
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You have charged it? The blue LED flashing a bit and turning off will happen when there isn't a charge. And the N905 Touch is old enough that the battery probably doesn't hold a charge. See what happens if you have it plugged in.
My first Mini did this too when performing a factory reset (the battery was in good condition), and required a SD image restore. I don't recall what the exact issue I noticed was, though.

I haven't heard of this happening with the newer readers, so something must be different about the reset process in older devices.

Last edited by geek1011; 12-24-2019 at 01:53 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #21
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You have charged it? The blue LED flashing a bit and turning off will happen when there isn't a charge. ...
Yes, the battery is fully charged (~ 4V), and I haven't had any problems with it so far. It is a pity because it is a really cool device even nowadays. The worst thing is that until I did a factory reset everything worked perfectly :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
My first Mini did this too when performing a factory reset (the battery was in good condition), and required a SD image restore. I don't recall what the exact issue I noticed was, though...
Mini has an internal sd card and it's easy to fix. My reader unfortunately does not have such a card.

Last edited by eddie.t.h; 12-24-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #22
eddie.t.h
Groupie

Update...

As I don't give up easily, I desoldered the memory chip from the reader motherboard and soldered it to a Chinese emmc USB adapter. I now have access to all reader memory, normally I can see my books. The KoboSetup program thinks that I have a reader connected to the computer :-). It looks exactly like the contents of the internal sd card of newer models. I tried to upload the update file but it didn't help. I need to have a image of the whole system.

Davidfor could you provide me with a system card image for 905b - it's probably the same hardware as the 905a. I have nothing to lose, and maybe it will work.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

And I don't know whether to be impressed, or disturbed by how far you are willing to go But, I'll be very interested to know if you get it going.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #24
eddie.t.h
Groupie

Unfortunately, as you would expect, the 905b system does not run on 905a. A dump flash 905a is not achievable. Well, I have to hunt for a broken reader and move the motherboard out of it.
Thank you for your help and happy new year!
Old 01-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Unfortunately, as you would expect, the 905b system does not run on 905a. A dump flash 905a is not achievable. Well, I have to hunt for a broken reader and move the motherboard out of it.
Thank you for your help and happy new year!
Are you sure spending the money to fix this is worth it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As @JSWolf said, it is probably not worth it. Just about any ereader made since then will be better for reading. Of course, if this is a project to see what you can do, that's entirely different. In that case, have fun And it shouldn't be hard to find one with a broken screen.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:42 AM   #27
eddie.t.h
Groupie

Of course I treat this repair as a hobby. By the way, there will always be one less electric waste on our planet

Tags
dead kobo is dead?, factory reset, kobo touch