Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Wall/car charger recommendation for Itouch?

I have an Ipod Touch 3rd Gen that I have to charge almost daily and I'm tired of hooking it up to my computer as I sometimes need to charge it when the computer is off. I'd like to get a handy wall and car charger for it. Are there any that are better than others or any that are not good and I should stay away from? I've seen a few at Staples but they all say 2nd gen. Would they work with the 3rd Gen?
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I have one from iGo that has plugs for both the car and the wall. You get different tips for different devices. I have tips for my iPod Touch, and for my Kindle. I have the iPod Touch 3rd generation.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I use iGo and Gomadic. Both work fine for iPod, Touch and iPhone. I'm even using 'em overseas, with a transformer. I've used 'em to charge in the U.S., too. They work with my Kindle and Garmin GPS as well, with the right tips. I have a Touch 4, which uses the same tip as iPhone my 3G and 4, and my aged iPod 5.5 with video.

If you've got an iPad in the family, I highly recommend the Griffin PowerBlock wall and car combo. One set charges all my iStuff, quickly.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
I'd like to get a handy wall and car charger for it. Are there any that are better than others or any that are not good and I should stay away from? I've seen a few at Staples but they all say 2nd gen. Would they work with the 3rd Gen?
I just bought a car charger from Walmart for $5. It included a charger (with a USB port at one end) and a separate cable - standard USB on one end and dual micro & mini USB on the other. I already had a wall charger.

An iPod is an iPod is an iPod. The same charger works with all of them. The Kodak wall charger that came with my PlaySport pocket videocam will also charge my Sansa Clip+ (MP3 player) and your iPod touch. In fact, the wall charger that comes with the Kindle and Nook will also charge your iPod.

There's no reason you need to spend more than $10 on these. Don't buy brand names, because they overcharge. Make sure you buy chargers without cables attached. These have one or two USB ports at one end. This makes the charger universal, since USB cables are already included with the gadget you buy.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a pic of a car charger showing placement of the USB port:

Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
An iPod is an iPod is an iPod. The same charger works with all of them.
My 3rd gen Touch will not charge from the wall wart from a 2nd or 3rd gen iPod. (Message on the screen saying not supported). At least for Apple accessories it is not true that the same charger will work for all of them.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-04-2010 at 10:29 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
An iPod is an iPod is an iPod. The same charger works with all of them. The Kodak wall charger that came with my PlaySport pocket videocam will also charge my Sansa Clip+ (MP3 player) and your iPod touch. In fact, the wall charger that comes with the Kindle and Nook will also charge your iPod.
My iTouch does not work with either my old iPod AC or car chargers. I purchased new ones from Amazon for just a few bucks and they work great plus I got a small "portable mobile charger" that is fabulous. Unfortunately no brand name on it.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
I just bought a car charger from Walmart for $5. It included a charger (with a USB port at one end) and a separate cable - standard USB on one end and dual micro & mini USB on the other. I already had a wall charger.

There's no reason you need to spend more than $10 on these. Don't buy brand names, because they overcharge. Make sure you buy chargers without cables attached. These have one or two USB ports at one end. This makes the charger universal, since USB cables are already included with the gadget you buy.
I prefer to avoid a jumble of cords, especially when traveling. Value is subjective, of course.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
My 3rd gen Touch will not charge from the wall wart from a 2nd or 3rd gen iPod. (Message on the screen saying not supported). At least for Apple accessories it is not true that the same charger will work for all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
My iTouch does not work with either my old iPod AC or car chargers. I purchased new ones from Amazon for just a few bucks and they work great plus I got a small "portable mobile charger" that is fabulous. Unfortunately no brand name on it.

cheers
I stand corrected; thanks.

Sounds like Apple is deliberately engineering these things in order to make extra money off accessories.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I prefer to avoid a jumble of cords, especially when traveling. Value is subjective, of course.
So, how do you charge your devices when traveling?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I found the exact iGo charger I have. It is cleverly designed to have retractable cables, and a little case for the whole thing:
http://www.igo.com/mobile-device-cha...t/ps002650001/

It isn't super cheap, but compact, versatile, and works great. I used mine yesterday in the car to charge up my Touch.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Here's another option; though spendy. Retail is $60, but Costco has it on sale for $35 until 10 Oct 2010.

Chargepod

sold at Costco
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Thanks everyone for the input! I need to get one soon. I use the wifi a lot so I don't like turning it off and on all the time, and this really drains the battery fast. Though I swear it drains even when I turn it off!
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
So, how do you charge your devices when traveling?
See posts No. 2 and 3.

With iGo and Gomadic, you use one cord, with tips to match your devices. I leave a set in my car and travel kit.

The Griffin PowerBlock charges a variety of iDevices, adjusts power as needed. The iPad, for instance, takes more juice than a Touch. If you have only iDevices, you can take a PowerBlock for everything when traveling. The charge is quicker than with the original charger, too.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
See posts No. 2 and 3.

With iGo and Gomadic, you use one cord, with tips to match your devices. I leave a set in my car and travel kit.

The Griffin PowerBlock charges a variety of iDevices, adjusts power as needed. The iPad, for instance, takes more juice than a Touch. If you have only iDevices, you can take a PowerBlock for everything when traveling. The charge is quicker than with the original charger, too.
Got ya. I didn't connect your post.

My charging needs are simple - micro USB and mini USB - and the car charger I just got from Walmart has both on one cable. So it's the only cable I need.