Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The Professor and the Madman, back cover:

"The Professor and the Madman, masterfully researched and eloquently written, is an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary -- and literary history. The compilation of the OED, begun in 1857, was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane."

I read everything from Simon Winchester.
yes, i saw that, it is on the fictionwise site (or books on board ? somewhere...) as part of the synopsis. i was just wondering about the difference with "The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary", since they seem to be about the same thing, at least in part... but anyway these books look quite good, so i will start with the professor and the madman and see if the other one will come out in LIT format soon (and hopefully a bit less expensive as well). recommendations for similar authors are welcome, although perhaps we should really start our own thread for this...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #47
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Carandol, if you find that your public library doesn't have all the electronic resources that you need, then it could be worth asking your university librarians how much they charge for ex-student access.
I've just been looking that up, funnily enough. It's apparently £30 a year, which seems pretty good, especially since that would give me access to things like Early English Books Online and all the back issues of the Times back to day one. As a citizen of Lancaster, I can use the books in the library, but not take them out, for free.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #48
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The Professor and the Madman, back cover:
It's now on my Fictionwise wants list. Thanks for the recommendation!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #49
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
It's now on my Fictionwise wants list. Thanks for the recommendation!
i bought it. now i'm having conversion woes. curse you taylor, and your fascinating recommendations !!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #50
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I like Matt Stone and Trey Parker's line of thinking. Here's part of an interview they did with Reason Magazine at the end of '06.
Quote:
Stone: We’re always in favor of people downloading. Always.

Reason: Why?

Stone: It’s how a lot of people see the show. And it’s never hurt us. We’ve done nothing but been successful with the show. How could you ever get mad about somebody who wants to see your stuff?

Parker: We worked really hard making that show, and the reason you do it is because you want people to see it.
I wish more artists thought this way. I think it's the only proper way to look at the internet right now. If you don't embrace the open sharing of information, you're just going to be frustrated and flounder in an evolving market. In the latest South Park episode, Trey Parker had Kyle sum up the current state of business on the internet fairly well.
Quote:
"You know, I learned something today. We thought we could make money on the internet. But while the internet is new and exciting for creative people, it hasn't matured as a distribution mechanism to the extent that one should trade real and immediate opportunities for income for the promise of future online revenue. It will be a few years before digital distribution of media on the internet can be monetized to an extent that necessitates content producers to forego their fair value in more traditional media."
I certainly don't think publishers and authors will have much to worry about for a while. And even as online distribution of books grows, paper books will still be popular.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I like Matt Stone and Trey Parker's line of thinking.
Who are they?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #52
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I like Matt Stone and Trey Parker's line of thinking. Here's part of an interview they did with Reason Magazine at the end of '06.

I wish more artists thought this way. I think it's the only proper way to look at the internet right now. If you don't embrace the open sharing of information, you're just going to be frustrated and flounder in an evolving market. In the latest South Park episode, Trey Parker had Kyle sum up the current state of business on the internet fairly well.

I certainly don't think publishers and authors will have much to worry about for a while. And even as online distribution of books grows, paper books will still be popular.
i agree, i wish more artists thought that way too. hopefully with time the mindset will evolve towards that.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
I like Matt Stone and Trey Parker's line of thinking.
Who are they?
They are best known for SouthPark, an animated series on Comedy Central.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Stone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Parker
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - not something I've come across.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #55
wetterau
wetterau has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none yet
free books

Hi, I've written a number of books (novels, short stories, non-fiction, and collections of poems) that are free at www.memoware.com and .99 each at the Kindle store. Eleanor (Eleanor Lincoln Morse) and I started our own press to produce books which we sometimes sell and sometimes give away. It is my view that artists are responsible for delivering their work. If publishers decide that they cannot profit from your work, then you need to complete the loop yourself. So far, my books have been downloaded over 65,000 times, all over the English speaking world. This has been much more satisfying than accumulating rejection slips. Those who can make a living doing what they love are lucky. More power to them. Thankfully, the internet gives many of us an alternative way to be read. John Moncure Wetterau.
wetterau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #56
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
thanks for the link, checking out the selections now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetterau View Post
Hi, I've written a number of books (novels, short stories, non-fiction, and collections of poems) that are free at www.memoware.com and .99 each at the Kindle store. Eleanor (Eleanor Lincoln Morse) and I started our own press to produce books which we sometimes sell and sometimes give away. It is my view that artists are responsible for delivering their work. If publishers decide that they cannot profit from your work, then you need to complete the loop yourself. So far, my books have been downloaded over 65,000 times, all over the English speaking world. This has been much more satisfying than accumulating rejection slips. Those who can make a living doing what they love are lucky. More power to them. Thankfully, the internet gives many of us an alternative way to be read. John Moncure Wetterau.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #57
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Software is not "mostly" free. There is software that you can "use" for free, but it is paid for by advertising $, do the developers are getting paid. Examples might be google, flicker, digg, gmail, yahoo mail, etc.

This is why you don't see alot of "line of business" (boring) software out there for free. I write LOB software, and get paid to do it with the sales/support revenue from that software.

BOb
There is plenty of software that is "free," and not paid for by advertising of any kind. The BSD's, for example- best operating systems that exist. BSD also serves as a base for Mac OSX. How about Apache? You could class all of these as "business" software. Apache, the "free" webserver, is used by many more websites than IIS. In fact, you might say Apache runs the web.

In the field of software, I don't think anyone can make the claim that sales price is related to quality. Take UNIX, for example. One cannot call BSD "UNIX," but it is. And the BSDs are better than any commercial UNIX that ever existed, even though the commercial UNIX source licenses were $65K and up. In fact, BSD contributed something like 95% of the actual code base for the old AT&T "commercial" SVR....
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
There is plenty of software that is "free," and not paid for by advertising of any kind.
I didn't say that there isn't "plenty" of software that is free. I said "most" software is NOT free.

It is also true that most free/open source is general and or developer driven. Also, may developers that work on BSD, Apache, Linux etc are paid!

Quote:
The BSD's, for example- best operating systems that exist. BSD also serves as a base for Mac OSX.
Case in point, Apple developers are PAID to work on BSD even though the software is available for free. Novell developers are paid to work on Linux. I believe JBoss has many devs on staff who's code goes into the Apache code base.

Quote:
How about Apache? You could class all of these as "business" software. Apache, the "free" webserver, is used by many more websites than IIS. In fact, you might say Apache runs the web.
First, Apache "used by many more web sites" is not necessarily true. http://www.search-this.com/2007/06/2...o-serves-more/ It depends on how you count.

Also, no Apache and BSD are NOT Line-of-business software... they are OS/Platform apps. Yes, they are used in business. When I said "line-of-busines" I mean, Payroll, Accounting, HR, CRM, Warehousing, Dispatching, Logistics, Fixed Assests, Bank Software, Insurance software, Mortgage Company software, etc.

Quote:
In the field of software, I don't think anyone can make the claim that sales price is related to quality.
Did I make that claim? I don't think so.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Why can't you call BSD "Unix"? Is "Unix" a trademark?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #60
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why can't you call BSD "Unix"? Is "Unix" a trademark?
Unix is officially trademarked as UNIX®, sometimes also written as Unix or Unix® with small caps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-books, guardian, piracy, times online