Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I think that what lexico meant was that there are open source alternatives for most (non-boring) souftware Kinda like having two versions of Harry Potter, one open and one not...hmm I wonder how that will work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I think that what lexico meant was that there are open source alternatives for most (non-boring) souftware Kinda like having two versions of Harry Potter, one open and one not...hmm I wonder how that will work.
It works just fine. That is what FanFiction is all about.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah but fan fiction doesn't reproduce the story lines (which is loosely equivalent to open source software reproducing the functionality).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #34
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you - I didn't know that! I might just investigate that; I think that £95 a year would be worth it for me.
Well, I'm quite pleased too -- on looking up the information, I discovered that most UK libraries now subscribe to these and (my favourite) the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, as well as the complete OED, and I can access them from home just using my library card number! I'm in my last year of doing a BA as a mature student, and was not looking forward to losing these resources, so this is very cheering
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've just reminded me that I'm an OU student - I must check to see if they're available through the OU library. I know that the entire "Cambridge Companion to ...." series is available that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #36
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I got my first degree from the OU, though that was before the days of email and the internet. I even did some tutoring for them in the early 90s.

Carandol, if you find that your public library doesn't have all the electronic resources that you need, then it could be worth asking your university librarians how much they charge for ex-student access. And I know of a couple of people who signed up for extra-mural courses largely because they wanted to continue using the university library and computer resources.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #37
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Patricia is correct. It is worth checking with your local university library. Several years ago, I got a non-student borrowers card at my local university library. It didn't cost anything, as they are a state funded institution. I can use all of their resources, which has proven very useful at times. When I think about our city public library, the word "podunk" comes to mind.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I got my first degree from the OU, though that was before the days of email and the internet. I even did some tutoring for them in the early 90s.
I seem to have been an OU student forever - I just do it for fun; certainly don't need any more qualifications . For the last few years I've been doing classics courses; currently doing their "Advanced Latin" course, which is great, reading all sorts of different Latin authors.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #39
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Then you've read The Professor and the Madman, I hope?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Then you've read The Professor and the Madman, I hope?
It doesn't ring a bell. Who wrote it?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #41
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simon Winchester.

The Professor and the Madman
A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the
Oxford English Dictionary

Sorry, I maybe mixed threads, but I saw you talking about the OED elsewhere.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, yes, thanks; I've heard of it, but not read it. It's definitely on my reading list.

It wasn't the OED I was talking about, but the "Oxford Classical Dictionary", which is a wonderful "encyclopedia" of the ancient world.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ah but fan fiction doesn't reproduce the story lines (which is loosely equivalent to open source software reproducing the functionality).
Actually they often do but not a duplicate of course. For example long before book 6 was written fan fiction had already written a book 6 from the published book 5. This filled a void in that it took a long time for book 6 to appear. Similarly for book 7 there were already versions of book 7 written. Similarly you cannot duplicate a piece of software exactly since that much duplication would be copyrighted.

I didn't jump to HP as an equivalent but since you did I was carrying the analogy over.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #44
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
about the OED again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Simon Winchester.

The Professor and the Madman
A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the
Oxford English Dictionary

Sorry, I maybe mixed threads, but I saw you talking about the OED elsewhere.
@ Taylor : that sounds fascinating ! too bad i didn't see this post before the end of the fictionwise sale, but i *do* have enough micro credit (or whatever it's called) to get it, thanks to the sale...

have you read "The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary" by the same man ? it looks good too, but it might be sort of the same thing as the other one... plus, for the moment it's only available in mobi format...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #45
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

The Professor and the Madman, back cover:

"The Professor and the Madman, masterfully researched and eloquently written, is an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary -- and literary history. The compilation of the OED, begun in 1857, was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane."

I read everything from Simon Winchester.

Tags
e-books, guardian, piracy, times online