Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Shame there is no retail presence. If I play with a demo model long enough I might be tempted to switch sooner.
Should be available at BestBuy.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #32
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
It's also supposed to be at some T-Mobile stores. I hear it's quite a bit more expensive there than at the Play store, though (assuming you want it unsubsidized, etc.).

I've had mine for just over a month now, and so far I'm thrilled with it. I was initially skeptical of the lack of SD card slot, but so far it's not a problem for me like it would be on a tablet. I don't put video files on it, and I use my nooks for most of my ereading, so I only have a few books on it at any given point. I have all of the apps I'm likely to need, unless I delve more into mobile gaming, and I've got 10 GB free still, so I'm more than content.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #33
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll have to look again. I was at my local BestBuy two weeks ago and they had no N4 to look at.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
It's also supposed to be at some T-Mobile stores. I hear it's quite a bit more expensive there than at the Play store, though (assuming you want it unsubsidized, etc.).

I've had mine for just over a month now, and so far I'm thrilled with it. I was initially skeptical of the lack of SD card slot, but so far it's not a problem for me like it would be on a tablet. I don't put video files on it, and I use my nooks for most of my ereading, so I only have a few books on it at any given point. I have all of the apps I'm likely to need, unless I delve more into mobile gaming, and I've got 10 GB free still, so I'm more than content.
Overall, T-Mobile customers will pay more than buying directly from Google. However, when I went to my local T-Mobile store a couple of weeks ago, it was $99.00 down and then $20.00 a month for twenty months. So, the T-Mobile phone is less out of pocket, at least initially. Plus, the T-Mobile version runs on their 4G network while I think the unlocked version only runs on the 3G network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'll have to look again. I was at my local BestBuy two weeks ago and they had no N4 to look at.
Best Buy won't have it. Best Buy doesn't sell unlocked phones in their stores and they only have a couple of low end, prepaid T-Mobile devices. I know because when I went to Best Buy to buy an unlocked phone (I was planning to travel out the country at that point), the salesman told me that they weren't allowed to sell unlocked phones. I think the only place you'll actually be able to look at an N4 is at a T-Mobile store.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Overall, T-Mobile customers will pay more than buying directly from Google. However, when I went to my local T-Mobile store a couple of weeks ago, it was $99.00 down and then $20.00 a month for twenty months. So, the T-Mobile phone is less out of pocket, at least initially. Plus, the T-Mobile version runs on their 4G network while I think the unlocked version only runs on the 3G network.
I'm using my unlocked Nexus 4 purchased directly from Google on the T-Mobile network through Solavei. I get 4g. Unless you need to finance, there's no need to overpay for a Nexus 4.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BestBuy has the TMobile one (which is the same one everybody has).

This phone only has 3G, even on TMobile. 4G is a marketing ploy, only LTE should be called 4G, which the N4 does not support (with the exception of a hack that works for a limited set of frequencies used in Canada and parts of the US).
Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #37
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

This phone only has 3G, even on TMobile. 4G is a marketing ploy, only LTE should be called 4G, which the N4 does not support (with the exception of a hack that works for a limited set of frequencies used in Canada and parts of the US).
Naming semantics aside, I get HSPA+ 42 which is what T-Mobile calls 4g. It is not limited to T-Mobile's "3g" because it wasn't purchased there.

As to LTE and the Nexus 4 - the "hack" is going into a settings menu and selecting LTE from a drop down menu. The frequency band is the one T-Mobile is rolling out this year (if they stay on schedule.)
Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
I'm using my unlocked Nexus 4 purchased directly from Google on the T-Mobile network through Solavei. I get 4g. Unless you need to finance, there's no need to overpay for a Nexus 4.
I guess I was mistaken. Although every review of the unlocked version I've read always complains about the lack of 4G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
BestBuy has the TMobile one (which is the same one everybody has).
Maybe it's different in different cities. However, the Best Buys in my city have a pitiful T-Mobile selection. They have the flagship phones for the other big three carriers.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #39
runtmms
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I guess I was mistaken. Although every review of the unlocked version I've read always complains about the lack of 4G.
I'm guessing that's the semantic argument. If 4g is only LTE then Nexus 4 doesn't officially have it - and nearly every review mentions a lack of 4G LTE. If you include hspa+ 42 in your 4g definition (like T-Mobile does) then the Nexus 4 has it.

I have never seen any review claim that the hardware coming from Google is different than T-Mobile. Do you have a link?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #40
pillacd
pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+, Nook STR
Quote:
I'm guessing that's the semantic argument. If 4g is only LTE then Nexus 4 doesn't officially have it - and nearly every review mentions a lack of 4G LTE. If you include hspa+ 42 in your 4g definition (like T-Mobile does) then the Nexus 4 has it.
Supposedly LTE can be enabled on AT&T in select markets:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2021173
pillacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
runtmms
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillacd View Post
Supposedly LTE can be enabled on AT&T in select markets:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2021173
That's why I tried to qualify my comment with the word "officially." Once the T-Mobile upgrades are done there are going to be a lot more compatible markets in the US.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #42
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
I have never seen any review claim that the hardware coming from Google is different than T-Mobile. Do you have a link?
It's not. There is only 1 variant of Nexus 4, everybody gets the same.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #43
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
If you include hspa+ 42 in your 4g definition (like T-Mobile does) then the Nexus 4 has it.
It's a marketing ploy, nothing more. Telcos started calling their HSDPA+ networks 4G so they could have a reason to push new phones to customers. 4G should be restricted to LTE, but now the waters are muddled and anything that's not strictly 3G is called 4G. And strictly speaking, even the networks we have nowadays (including LTE ones) are not 4G as this requires a minimum of 100Mb/s.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #44
faithbw
Guru

Quote:
All thew reviews I've read mention the unlocked version. None have said that its different from the handset sold by T-Mobile. Sorry for giving the wrong impression.

I looked over some reviews again and like others, including yourself, have mentioned, reviewers were lamenting the lack of LTE, which doesn't affect T-Mobile customers since it doesn't offer LTE. As for whether or not HSPA+ is or isn't 4G, I'll let you and afv011 discuss that.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #45
afv011
Captain Penguin

Google retail locator for those after an N4.

Source