Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Nexus 4 back in Stock in US

The title says it all folks! Just ordered mine. This device has been out of stock since mid-December.

https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Let us know if you think it was worth the wait. I love mine, but it's my first smartphone so I might be easy to please.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
Let us know if you think it was worth the wait. I love mine, but it's my first smartphone so I might be easy to please.
That is a really nice first smartphone. There are so many horrid smartphones out there for first time users *cough*Comet*cough*. The specs on the Nexus are beast! I decided to go with Samsung Galaxy S2 because I wanted expandable storage but I was really close to getting the Nexus. It's a great phone.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
The N4 is the best bang for the buck, it packs a punch and costs half what most smartphones cost. And being a Nexus device, comes unlocked and without any bloatware. Plus, you'll get timely, direct updates from Google.

The only negative thing I have to say about the N4 is that battery life could be better.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The N4 is the best bang for the buck, it packs a punch and costs half what most smartphones cost. And being a Nexus device, comes unlocked and without any bloatware. Plus, you'll get timely, direct updates from Google.

The only negative thing I have to say about the N4 is that battery life could be better.
Battery life could be better on every smart phone. This phone unfortunately is not interesting to me until it is compatible with Verizon - still does not work for Verizon, does it? (I will NOT change providers just because of a phone)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Battery life could be better on every smart phone. This phone unfortunately is not interesting to me until it is compatible with Verizon - still does not work for Verizon, does it? (I will NOT change providers just because of a phone)
I read online that part of the reason why the Nexus 4 isn't being sold by Verizon is because Google felt that Verizon didn't do enough to promote the previous Nexus. I'm not sure how true that is. Still I wonder if any provider besides T-Mobile will sell the Nexus.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was happy to leave Sprint to get my Nexus 4. The more I learn about phone stuff - the more I really wanted a GSM phone, instead of being locked to a CDMA carrier.

I've talked to a lot of people about our carrier switch, and find it a little puzzling how attached people can be to their carriers - even when they complain about them a fair amount of the time. Unless you are in a situation where there really is only one carrier that provides coverage I just don't get it.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was happy to leave Sprint to get my Nexus 4. The more I learn about phone stuff - the more I really wanted a GSM phone, instead of being locked to a CDMA carrier.

I've talked to a lot of people about our carrier switch, and find it a little puzzling how attached people can be to their carriers - even when they complain about them a fair amount of the time. Unless you are in a situation where there really is only one carrier that provides coverage I just don't get it.
I am not attached to my carrier, but I am attached to my phone number. That number is still the same it was a decade ago.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
runtmms
Connoisseur

Quote:
I am not attached to my carrier, but I am attached to my phone number. That number is still the same it was a decade ago.
That I understand. I first ported my home number to my cell phone about 8 years ago. The port this time was much quicker and easier. Keeping your number isn't an obstacle to carrier change in most cases. (at least in the US)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Why would you have to change your number? I switched carriers several years back and my number came with me, the only thing that changed was the phone.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
faithbw
Guru

Quote:

Sometimes it's about the carrier that provides the most bang for the buck and also who one is most comfortable with. I've been with T-Mobile for six years now and just signed another two year contract. I don't see myself switching anytime soon. Verizon has great coverage but is too expensive. Ditto AT&T. Sprint's coverage doesn't seem to be much better than T-Mobile in my area. Straight Talk has a cheap plan but honestly, T-Mobile doesn't cost much more. Plus, hubby and I share a family plan that is cheaper than doing two individual plans with a carrier like Straight Talk. So sticking with our carrier just makes sense for us.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you are but in the US, you can switch your number between carriers. You just have to make sure you don't terminate your contract with your current carrier before making the switch.

Last edited by faithbw; 01-30-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
runtmms
Connoisseur

If you're getting good value and the features you want from your carrier that's all you can ask for. We should all be so lucky.
The point I was trying to make is I think a carrier not being compatible with the phone I want is a reason to switch. And price is even a bigger reason. I have friends who complain about the amount they spend every month on a limited amount of minutes and data, but if I suggest changing to a much less expensive prepaid plan that is unlimited they look at me like I'm crazy.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
That I understand. I first ported my home number to my cell phone about 8 years ago. The port this time was much quicker and easier. Keeping your number isn't an obstacle to carrier change in most cases. (at least in the US)
In most cases. I just seen first hand how "easy" it is on landlines. Especially trying to go from internet based landline to normal landline or back. Keep your old phone number doesn't always work as advertized. I am happy with my plan, my 4G coverage where I live, and with Verizon altogether. I could pay less switching carriers, but then I'd lose connectivity / quality both in data and voice.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm keeping my number, leaving Verizon and going with the $40/mo unlimited, no contract plan from MySimpleMobile (http://www.mysimplemobile.com/) and getting for $40 what would cost me upwards of $75/mo w/ another provider. And, I can always pop out the SIM when I'm in Spain and use the phone with one of the providers there.

EDIT: Actually--correct that. Verizon wants $80/mo for unlimited talk and text, but the web is capped at 2GB, so that's kind of dumb.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
runtmms
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I'm keeping my number, leaving Verizon and going with the $40/mo unlimited, no contract plan from MySimpleMobile (http://www.mysimplemobile.com/) and getting for $40 what would cost me upwards of $75/mo w/ another provider. And, I can always pop out the SIM when I'm in Spain and use the phone with one of the providers there.

EDIT: Actually--correct that. Verizon wants $80/mo for unlimited talk and text, but the web is capped at 2GB, so that's kind of dumb.
I did much the same thing moving from Sprint to Solavei. Unlimited talk/text/data for $49. 4g speeds for the first 4GB.