Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
KOBO Wifi vs. the charger ...

ok ... having a strange issue with the wife's Kobo - and i will state up front that i am a Desktop Engineer by trade, the company's main "hardware" guy ... so a pretty high technical understanding. i read most of the "kobo battery / charging" threads ... none quite cover this.

Anyway,

if her Kobo is in sleep mode and the battery drains enough to trigger the "charge your Kobo" screen, it goes kind of weird after charging. I always pick "keep reading" when charging to keep it from mounting the drives. i see the "I'm Reading" screen, with only "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" showing. I assume that is because sorted by alpha, that is the first book on device memory.
If i let it mount, Calibre sees the 101 books on device memory, and the 140-some that are loaded to the SD card.
The place is lost on the current book she is reading, and shows 1% read ...
After unplugging, the device processes new content, and still shows only the first book in I'm reading. Turning off and powering back up sometimes restores the reading list.

is this normal, acceptable behavior? we have had this for about a month now, and the device has been through 5 or 6 full discharge / recharge cycles. Firmware was updated to 1.7.4 via kobo app (windows) and the device has had 1 factory reset after the db went crazy - i think my wife charged while i was at work and did not unmount the drives when unplugging.

do i need to tell her to make sure that she powers it off when finished reading for the day? she tends to just set it down and let sleep mode kick in.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If she actually opens the book that appears as only being 1% read, does it open to the correct place--is the bookmark really still there? That seems pretty much the common experience. If you do a turn off-turn back on, or a cycle with manage rather than read, does the behaviour persist?

For battery issues, it seems that to get the best our of the battery, people are finding that rather than letting it fully discharge, do a few cycles recharging when less than fully discharged--some folks say 40%, thought I don't know that there is a magic number.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

last time, she lost her bookmark. When i went downstairs this morning, it was displaying the screen again, and i set it to charging.
I will have to check it out when i go home for lunch.

cycling with manage (letting drives mount) does not seem to do this - but i have NOT mounted the drives after a full battery drain.
I am thinking that the bookmark lives in volatile memory until the device is powered down. it seems that sleep mode is equal to suspend, and full power down is equal to hibernate. hence, when the device discharges, lost bookmark.

Last edited by mikegetz; 01-20-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I don't know if this is because of the same issue, but it may have to do with the sideloaded books/power off/sleep issue. I know that sometimes when I turn the book off, and then turn it back on again, it will sometimes revert back to where I had started reading my last session. It's almost like the power off mode isn't waiting for the book to save its position before turning itself off. I don't know if the same thing is happening when the battery gets low as well, in that it's shutting down all non-essential applications without saving anything it has in memory to try and save the battery from going completely dead.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I more than quadrupled my battery life by using the power off option rather than the sleep option. I find that if the battery dies my bookmark goes back to the LAST "save point from wherever I quit reading last time. I've never had it go back to the beginning of the book.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
mikegetz
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
I more than quadrupled my battery life by using the power off option rather than the sleep option. I find that if the battery dies my bookmark goes back to the LAST "save point from wherever I quit reading last time. I've never had it go back to the beginning of the book.
well that makes sense though ... if she has started a new book and has not powered it all the way off since starting it ... the bookmark will be at the beginning.