Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
eBook Library software not working

My eBook Library software has suddenly stopped working. When I open the programme nothing comes up on the screen but if I check in Task Manager then the eReader.exe is running in the background.

Any suggestions?
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
I too have this problem. I contacted Sony, but they didn't have an answer. I am able to run it in safemode, so I know the software is working. I've checked drivers and came up empty. It has to be a driver or a program I've installed because it was running fine with Libprs500. Now it just like the user above, its running in the task manager but the gui isn't visible. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've uninstalled and removed all traces of the reader in windows, the registry and docs and settings. I'm currently using my mac, but there was even a file that started with a k in docs and settings that I removed, but none of that fixed the problem. I installed the software on my laptop and I'm using that now, but I sure would like to get it back on my server. Thanks for any help.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Well, after reading a few post I saw where I should uninstall libprs 500 and reinstall instead of upgrading. So I redownloaded libprs500 and I installed the old Connect software [I keep all my downloaded exe files] and it works. It asked me if I wanted to update the software to the new ebook library, but for now I chose not to. Just seeing the library was good enough. If it starts to act up or I need to update then I'll try it again.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarrow View Post
My eBook Library software has suddenly stopped working. When I open the programme nothing comes up on the screen but if I check in Task Manager then the eReader.exe is running in the background.

Any suggestions?
I believe that both the Ebook library software [formerly called Connect software]and libprs500 use the same device driver. Here's a link to a thread about it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...iver+libprs500

JS Wolf noted in the thread:
"if you have Connect software installed, you have the USB driver for Connect installed as well. You cannot have both the Connect USB driver and the libprs500 USB driver at the same time. The Connect USB driver seems to get priority. In order to get libprs500 to work if you have Connect installed, delete the USB driver for Connect and reboot. You should still be able to use the Connect Store to purchase books I would think. But I'm not 100% sure."

See the thread for more info.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
KorrMuraan
Winning at life
KorrMuraan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
The library sw was too buggy and slow for me. I uninstalled it(like the trash it is) and use drag'n'drop through explorer now.
KorrMuraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Atlantic
Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad
Solution

So what is the solution to this problem ? Still cannot figure out.

Thanks
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you go to '/Documents and Settings/<your login name> / Local settings/ Application Data/ ' and rename the directory 'Sony Corporation', that may help with the problem of the software starting up but not showing its interface.
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
waison
waison began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
I will disconnect my reader first before starting the eBook Library software, this usually work for me.
waison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Atlantic
Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.Atlantic invented the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrjl View Post
If you go to '/Documents and Settings/<your login name> / Local settings/ Application Data/ ' and rename the directory 'Sony Corporation', that may help with the problem of the software starting up but not showing its interface.
bob
Thanks for the tip. Just a clarification: Do you mean renaming the folder to another name for example Sony Corporation to ereader ?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rename the folder from 'Sony Corporation' to 'Sony Corporation.orig', for example. When it doesn't find the original folder - because you've just renamed it - it will create a new one.
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Atlantic

Unfortunately did not work. The software still doesn't display while it shows up in Task Manager as running. In Safe Mode it opens up.

Any other suggestions....

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it works in safe mode, then it is something you run on start up. So remove it all and then see if it works. Especial any Anti-virus/spyware software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
If you delete the Connect software, how do you make collections?
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use Libprs500 to make collections as well
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
Oh, well there's no point at all to that horrible Sony software, then. Good riddance.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook library, sony