Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Kobo Aura Apps?

Sorry if I should not have created a new thread - I visited the end of the other Kobo Aura thread, and frankly I'm a teensy bit afraid to post in it...

I just got my new Kobo Aura yesterday, and so far I love it. My Sony gave up some time ago, so I've been reading on my Android phone, and while I really like it, it is awfully small and hard on the eyes (I read a lot). So I finally could afford a new reader, and saw the Aura was coming out, and it was exactly what I was looking for - lighting, long battery-life (compared to a phone), and bigger real estate to read on. I've gotten used to the Kobo app, and like it, so it took me an hour or so to get used to the slightly slower page turn speed, and... it is simply a bit different. But I love it. I don't find it any heavy that an actual book. At first I found the shape of the back strange, but after half an hour of reading, I totally forgot about it and just naturally adapted to it. I love love LOVE the light, and the ease of adjusting it. Love it. Easy on my eyes.

Happy camper here.

One thing I can't quite find out on my own yet is if we can install apps on this? I'd love to put Comixology on it - I know, it's black and white, but I can live with that. I still have my phone. I'd also like to put the Kindle app on if possible. Is it possible? If so, do I download the app directly into the "My Computer- KOBOeReader" window?

I hope these are not silly questions. Thank you for the help...
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
install Aura HD apps on Kobo Glo, touch, mini

Hi,

Did some of you already take a look at the Aura HD firmware to see if it is possible to activate Aura extras on Glo, Touch and mini?

would be great to have it!

Cheers,
Fred

Last edited by vandafc; 04-30-2013 at 09:06 AM.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
No, there's no way to install new apps on it. I don't know if the Kindle PW has any new apps for it, of if they stopped support. This isn't running Android or a replaceable launcher, so you'll need to get an Android tablet if you wanted to keep those.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Oh, that is disappointing. Oh well, Kindle on my phone, I don't read Kindle much anyway, only when the book isn't available on Kobo.

Thank you for the reply! I still love my Kobo.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandafc View Post
Did some of you already take a look at the Aura HD firmware to see if it is possible to activate Aura extras on Glo, Touch and mini?
I had a brief look and couldn't see anything. Kobo have said they are looking at it. They didn't say if it will definitely happen as they do have screen size and resolution issues. I suspect it will come to the Glo, but might not come to the lower resolution Touch or Mini.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a brief look and couldn't see anything. Kobo have said they are looking at it. They didn't say if it will definitely happen as they do have screen size and resolution issues. I suspect it will come to the Glo, but might not come to the lower resolution Touch or Mini.
Thanks for the reply David. Guess it could be part of the next firmware
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

The short answer: you cannot install new apps on your Aura.

The long answer: there is nothing preventing third parties from developing apps for the Kobo. The platform is open to modification and third party apps. Developers have used hooks in the Kobo firmware to make tweaks to the user interface. Almost anyone with a knowledge of Unix can use a specially constructed update file to modify how the system functions outside of Kobo's reader software.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipencil View Post
One thing I can't quite find out on my own yet is if we can install apps on this? I'd love to put Comixology on it - I know, it's black and white, but I can live with that. I still have my phone. I'd also like to put the Kindle app on if possible. Is it possible? If so, do I download the app directly into the "My Computer- KOBOeReader" window?

I hope these are not silly questions.
Well, silly isn't the word I would use, but the answer is no. A Linux based ereader is very different than a windows or android or iOS tablet or phone. It is designed to run one program and then those "extras" that have been developed to run in this kind of environment.

I believe you can buy an ereader that is Android based, and then rooted to run additional Android Apps. Kobo's only Android based devices are their tablets.

There may be some things that are interesting to you that use the browser. For example, I can download books that are in dropbox or use calibre server. It's not much good for gaming though .

Last edited by taming; 04-30-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: info about browser
taming is offline   Reply With Quote