Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Julien Pham
Connoisseur
Julien Pham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question What is the best "the lord of the rings" eBook version?

Hi,

So I think the title is self explanatory. I would like to buy the lord of the rings trilogy as an eBook, better ePub.

A good eBook version without typos, with good text formatting, the appendix, maps and illustrations, and the elvish and various glyphs in the text.

What version should I buy to have all that?

At home I have the 50th anniversary version, a very good one, leather cover, bible paper, and so on. But this is for collection, I do not want to risk damaging it by reading it and carrying it around

Thanks
Julien Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
There is only one legitimate version available that I'm aware of. For Kindle, or for
ePub (B&N).

This is also available as individual editions, but at 1/2 the price of the trilogy, each, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

This is this one?
http://www.harpercollins.com/books/T...d+of+the+Rings

Problem with Amazon, it will be in DRM mobi version, and I have a Kobo.
Problem with Barn and Nobles, I have heard they use their own proprietary ePub format, is it true? Other issue is I think they don't sell stuff outside US.

I have to try on indie bounds then

Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any ePub bookstore should sell it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

btw something I find strange. This version, made as ePub in november 2011 is available on kobobooks.com. What I find strange though is that if I say I'm in France (I'm in France) they sell it to me at 15$ (13$ + VAT). But if I say I'm in the states, the price drops to... 0.99$. How is it possible? Thanks

(this is an Adobe DRM version)
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien Pham View Post
What I find strange though is that if I say I'm in France (I'm in France) they sell it to me at 15$ (13$ + VAT). But if I say I'm in the states, the price drops to... 0.99$. How is it possible?
Kobo's checkout is being glitchy today. It tells me that books aren't available in my region and sets them at $0.99, then it tells me they are and gives them at the regular price, and then it gives me $0.99 cents again when I type in a coupon code, but then the real price (minus discount) when I actually press "Apply". And the real price seems to go through when I "Buy Now".

You might want to use the 35% off coupon code a few posts down in this thread if you are thinking of buying LOTR via Kobo. It might not work if the publisher has made the title non-discountable, but then again, you might save a few $ to put towards another book you want.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mine is, I painstakingly corrected the typos and other misspellings.

Say, Julien Pham, your print version, does it happen to be the same as my profile picture ?

Last edited by Quexos; 12-04-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The three-in-one version has less errors then the three separate editions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Mine is, I painstakingly corrected the typos and other misspellings.

Say, Julien Pham, your print version, does it happen to be the same as my profile picture ?
Looks like but not the same color
Mine is this one:
http://www.amazon.fr/Lord-Rings-50th...3074310&sr=8-3

Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Looks like but not the same color
Mine is this one:
http://www.amazon.fr/Lord-Rings-50th...3074310&sr=8-3

Yours looks like the one I own, which was originally copyright in 1978 in this edition (if my memory is correct, as my copy is currently in an environmentally-controlled storage unit).

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

How can a 50th anniversary edition be copyrighted in 1978?
Waow you have an environmentally controlled storage unit? Mine is just in a bookshelf ^^
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yours looks like the one I own, which was originally copyright in 1978 in this edition (if my memory is correct, as my copy is currently in an environmentally-controlled storage unit).

Don
The picture is of the American "deluxe" edition. I have the British version, which is almost identical other than the fact that the edges of the pages are not gold, and the two maps are bound into the book, rather than being loose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
How can a 50th anniversary edition be copyrighted in 1978?
Waow you have an environmentally controlled storage unit? Mine is just in a bookshelf ^^

It was not listed as a 50th anniversary edition, when I bought it! How could it be!

It appears that the date is actually copyright 1987. What I am referring to is the edition of three books collected into on edition, along with a new introduction, box, illustrations, ribbon, etc, for this special edition. Hence, the new copyright.

I do remember that my copy is published my Houghton Mifflin.

Here's a description of the book, one which I just located:

Book Description: Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1987. Hard Cover in a Slipcase. Book Condition: Very Good. First Thus. 8vo. 423, 352, 440 pp. All three titles in a single volume but paginated individually, the titles and the page numbers in red. Red leatherette boards stamped with a jewel-pattern in gilt and blue on the front, spine, and back. Fold-out map in the back; marbled endpapers. Plain red leatherette slipcase. Price: US$ 395.00

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tolkien.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	79663  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

But the 50th anniversary version is a version with a lot of improvements on the original text, corrections, and so on This is not just the three in one.

And btw tolkien never intended to make three books, the original lotro was always planned as a single book. They made three books for marketing purpose ^^
Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now that we've gotten off-topic. Anyone else have an answer to the OP's question?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote