Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
coldmoon
coldmoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Unhappy Kindle permanentely frozen after Book tranfer

Hi there!

I don't know if I'm the only one with that problem, but I just broke my second Kindle within a week.

After transferring books via calibre I ejected my kindle paperwhite via the eject-button in calibre. Once it was ejected my kindle informed me that it was not ejected properly:

(an unexpected error occurred. this can happen if you recently disconnected your kindle from a computer without ejecting.....please wait until .... )

I waited 1 hour til I decided to restart it via the button. It seemed to restart but I never got to see the progess bar. And again, I waited an hour. I tried everything: charging it for hours, waiting, pressing the button 40 seconds, waiting for the battery to empty (still waiting).

I gave up and ordered a new kindle, this time a more expensive Kindle oasis.
Guess what, the same thing happened. This time I waited an entire minute after ejecting the kindle.

Did anyone have the same problem? I assume it has to do with the new firmware, it never happened with my old kindle from 5 years ago
Thank you in advance,

Rafael
coldmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I connect my Oasis 2 to my computer on a regular basis. I've never had an issue ejecting it. It always goes to the normal screen within a few seconds of my ejecting it, then I disconnect it.

What happens if you connect it again? Or connect it, and reboot the computer?

I don't use the eject from Calibre...I use the one in the Windows tool bar.

Adding...I've used several different Kindles and a Kobo, and have never had any problems with connecting or ejecting them.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 11-28-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
coldmoon

Kindle permanentely frozen after Book tranfer

Thank you for your reply,

I connected the kindle again, the screen became brighter, nothing else happened.
With the kindle still connected I restarted the computer as you said. The screen light up, kept flashing for a few seconds and now shows me the symbol of a battery.

I use a macbook pro 2012 with Mojave
Old 11-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
coldmoon

I did this with the Paperwhite. When restarting the computer with the oasis connected, the screen only gets brighter. Noting else happens.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Once the screen brightens, swipe the screen to "open" the Kindle.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
coldmoon

Kindle permanentely frozen after Book tranfer

Unfortunately that doesn't help. The screen shows the image of the boy reading under the tree. It seems to start but doesn't. The progress bar never appears.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Try putting on a mains charger for 24 hours. Don't use it during that time.

This is my standard treatment for a sick ereader.

Afterwards, try doing another restart.

If that doesn't work, attach it to your computer via usb. If you can see the kindle as a drive, try directly adding a book to the 'document' folder.

Eject the kindle using whatever is standard on a Mac, but not via Calibre. Leave the USB attached to the computer for an hour or so.
In the meantime you should be able to see books on the Kindle.

If this basic stuff doesn't work - hope that a techie comes along to this thread.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^

And also, somewhat similar help needed for this member, please:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325206
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
^ Basically good advice already above.

If you get to the loading screen - the boy under a tree then the Kindle is in the midst of booting. If you have charged it for at least 20 hours, and it now stays on the boy under a tree screen for more than an hour after a hard restart then we can tentatively assume that the boot is failing. Which is probably fall out from a premature ejection or perhaps a failed update - something that has corrupted at least one file that is now preventing a full boot.

How long have you left it on the boy under a tree screen? If you connect it to your PC's via USB does your file manager see any file listing for the Kindle? Are you using a known good USB cable? Have you tried rebooting your computer, close Calibre - if you use it. Then connect to a different USB port. If none of that works, try connecting to a different PC.

If you try all of the above then you're more or less at a point where you can either complain strongly to Amazon - who will probably offer you a sizeable discount on buying a new device as their "solution". Or you could open the Kindle up, solder a serial adapter ($2 - $15) to the board and get an accurate idea of what is going on internally.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
^ And ah for the Oasis model, I'm not sure if anyone has identified exactly where the serial or JTAG pins are. So the latter might not be easily accomplished on an Oasis.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, frozen screen, frozen start page, kindle oasis 2, kindle paperwhite 6, troubleshooting