Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
sudden and remarkable slowdown after user stopping backup of metadata

Hi All,
despite the suggestion of the manual, I have been putting my bigger and bigger (40+k) ebook collection on a (single user) NAS and so far things have gone fine (some but acceptable delay in retrieving books and saving edited metadata). Last time, however, I had the unhappy idea to make a backup of the database via Library Metadata Backup Status. Once I realised that the backup process would have to be extremely long I stopped it.
Since then on, I found that any access to NAS library has been hugely delayed (every and each action to GUI, including list scrolling is painful and always [not reponding] remark appears beside library name in the window tool bar. Moreover, I notice that whenever I hold the library open, NAS drives are constantly in activity, which does not end overnight, even when I don't do anything. Therefore I suspect that anyway backup internal processes have been not stopped actually.
No trouble at all when I access library through a local USB external drive, but it is not practical. In the NAS arragnement, router has been rebooted many times and cables are fine.
Any clue to fix this newer trouble of mine?
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Metadata backup writes individual OPF files to the library, so if your library is ona slow drive, it will be very slow. ANd stopping it wont help, as it will automatically restart (calibre tries hard to make sure your db is backed up).

Your best bet is to temporarily move your library to a fasst disk. DO the backup and then move it back.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
NAS / cloud drives are not supported.
The Calibre Library use a Transactional model.
Files are written, data base updated, old files deleted (when renamed)
Network caching and delays can hamper or even lose a step.

A modern USB2 or 3 direct attached hard drive should be able to keep pace with most of Calibres common operations
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for diagnosis (though there is no sign that it is backup'ing besides HDD activity, unfortunately) and suggestion provided, Kovid!
Then it has been as I suspected, Calibre WILL eventually do the backup. It was INDEED a serious, unforgivable mistake to request a backup for a NAS library with 43520 books!
Yes, sir, I will backup the library (due its value it is often synched) and work in the copy, then backup it again!
As your smart suggestion of setting the env CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH variable, I wonder if it would be possible to change machinery so that it works on ONE certain library only.

Last edited by RotAnal; 12-13-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotAnal View Post
Thanks for diagnosis (though there is no sign that it is backup'ing besides HDD activity, unfortunately) and suggestion provided, Kovid!
Then it has been as I suspected, Calibre WILL eventually do the backup. It was INDEED a serious, unforgivable mistake to request a backup for a NAS library with 43520 books!
Yes, sir, I will backup the library (due its value it is often synched) and work in the copy, then backup it again!
As your smart suggestion of setting the env CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH variable, I wonder if it would be possible to change machinery so that it works on ONE certain library only.
The OPF type backup status is the first item on the Library Maintenance menu
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@RotAnal - if you can do the 'database backup' via calibredb backup_metadata command you should find it's a lot faster. By design, the option in the GUI does it as a very low priority 'background' task, it typically chugs along at about a book a second, whereas the command line option does it as a normal priority 'foreground' task and executes as fast as it can.

Quote:
<snip>

I wonder if it would be possible to change machinery so that it works on ONE certain library only.
FWIW - I now have the content of my libraries on a Windows server. I have symlinks at the server referencing workstation resident library metadata databases. 'Logically' they are something like:

At server <libraryName>\metadata.db files reference ...\Metadata\<libraryName>.metadata.sqlite files at workstation.

This may or may not be doable on your NAS and workstation setup.

I changed the extensions to .sqlite because Windows regards .db files as something 'special' - thumbs.db and all that jazz. Obviously the server side symlinks must conform to calibre's expectations, so they retain the metadata.db name. On Windows the name of a symlink and its target do not have to be the same, I have a vague recollection from aeons ago that on another OS they did have to be the same.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-13-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: to get rid of the spaces Vbully inserts into long strings - grrrrhh
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 AM   #7
RotAnal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
if you can do the 'database backup' via calibredb backup_metadata command you should find it's a lot faster. By design, the option in the GUI does it as a very low priority 'background' task, it typically chugs along at about a book a second, whereas the command line option does it as a normal priority 'foreground' task and executes as fast as it can.
That was a very useful hint, thanks. In fact I updated all the ebooks in less than an hour (in a local 3.0 USB HDD)! On the other hand, I noticed that many entries in the batch output have been labelled as unknown. Is that a normal thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW - I now have the content of my libraries on a Windows server. I have symlinks at the server referencing workstation resident library metadata databases. 'Logically' they are something like:
At server <libraryName>\metadata.db files reference ...\Metadata\<libraryName>.metadata.sqlite files at workstation.
This may or may not be doable on your NAS and workstation setup.

I changed the extensions to .sqlite because Windows regards .db files as something 'special' - thumbs.db and all that jazz. Obviously the server side symlinks must conform to calibre's expectations, so they retain the metadata.db name. On Windows the name of a symlink and its target do not have to be the same, I have a vague recollection from aeons ago that on another OS they did have to be the same.
This suggestion has concepts completely new to me and I am not quite sure to have understood the details. I will study better the stuff in a future, anyway.

Thanks again
Old 12-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That was a very useful hint, thanks. In fact I updated all the ebooks in less than an hour (in a local 3.0 USB HDD)! On the other hand, I noticed that many entries in the batch output have been labelled as unknown. Is that a normal thing?
No I've never seen that, but I have only used calibredb backup-metadata a few times over the past 5-6 years

If you could capture the actual text and post it here someone could probably work out what's going on.

Quote:
This suggestion has concepts completely new to me and I am not quite sure to have understood the details. I will study better the stuff in a future, anyway.
See Symbolic link - Wikipedia. You may read elsewhere that Symbolic Links are the equivalent of Windows shortcuts, that is false. The WikiP page explains the differences.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks again
I wonder if you now have a damaged Library (DB) from using it with 2 different OS filesystems. Case issues happen when making changes in Windows, but the File system is case sensitive. Windows thinks Windows and WINDOWS as the same, Linux, as 2 exclusive names.
(it is fun to cleanup after this happens )
Old 12-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #10
RotAnal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I wonder if you now have a damaged Library (DB) from using it with 2 different OS filesystems
Duck, after fast, batch command fix as suggested by BetterRed, library is working fine!
Still, the opportunity to keep the metadata.db file local to the notebok, while leaving actual library in the NAS would be desirable, and I do hope that Calibre developers will implement that eventually through Calibre adjustable, internal pointers. As I wrote before, using a global env variable is not very practical when one has many, different libraries.

Last edited by RotAnal; 12-17-2017 at 05:39 AM.