Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Libby, the new Overdrive App

I saw Libby in the Google Play store last night.

Libby / Overdrive Labs Homepage

I like the interface but currently you can only stream audiobooks, not download them.

You can adjust fonts and screen / font color of books.

Works for me and what I do.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Libby is from Overdrive for iOS and Android.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've read good things about it in general, but if audiobooks only work through streaming then it's worthless to me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I really like with Libby is that it supports multiple libraries and even multiple cards at the same library.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've read good things about it in general, but if audiobooks only work through streaming then it's worthless to me.
You can download audiobooks. You have to play around to find where the download option is. I have my iPhone in airplane mode and WiFi is off. I have no problem listening to what I downloaded.
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can download audiobooks. You have to play around to find where the download option is. I have my iPhone in airplane mode and WiFi is off. I have no problem listening to what I downloaded.
Good to know, thanks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I looked at it and couldn't see any way to access my wishlist. Did I miss something?

Also can't figure out how to log out.

Last edited by 4691mls; 02-01-2017 at 10:13 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #8
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Oh, I like it so far! I belong to 2 Public libraries. All had to do was sign in under my Overdrive account. Looks simple.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I looked at it and couldn't see any way to access my wishlist. Did I miss something?

Also can't figure out how to log out.
Yes, I am also missing Wish List. There are Tags, which it seems are supposed to replace Wish List but there is no way to migrate from one to the other apart from one at a time, as far as I can tell.

Yes, no logout. Or (once you have set up cards) login.

One thing it will take getting used to is that it does not list books in Loan status if they have been borrowed in Kindle format. And there is no indication of how many borrows are left.

Libby is not available in Amazon AppStore (yet?). Have not tried Android version yet. On iPad it supports Split View (as does Overdrive), which is nice
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Oh, I like it so far! I belong to 2 Public libraries. All had to do was sign in under my Overdrive account. Looks simple.
Gee, I'm jealous. My Libby app said the sign-in-via-OverDrive feature is "coming soon"; I had to enter the library card number and password of each library account I wanted Libby to access.

Last edited by Froide; 02-03-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3469571&nojs=1#community
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I really like with Libby is that it supports multiple libraries and even multiple cards at the same library.
*That* is good to know! I'll check Libby out!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The UI is a little weird: a book I borrowed does not show up on Loans page, so I have to go to Activity page and tap there to open the book. I assume that is a bug.

I also am getting 'unexpected error' navigating around, e.g. When attempting to return a book. So there's work to do.

That said, I probably would only use it for borrowing books and not for reading (which I would use Kindle for).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Gee, I'm jealous. My Libby app said the sign in via OverDrive feature is "coming soon"; I had to enter the library card number and password of each library account I wanted Libby to access.
Yeah same here. Coming soon is what it says on the home. When I went to one of my libraries, to enter the card, there is another option to sign in with overdrive. But doing so does nothing. It showed me logged in in settings, but no libraries were there. So I started from scratch again, deleting the app and installing again. Then I just entered my 3 libraries again one by one.

I don't use my phone to read or listen to audio books, but using this app to see whats new at each library will be nice. And also to see what book I need to read next as it shows me all the loans from all 3 libraries on one page. And showing me what I have suspended on the holds.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do use my phone to listen to audiobooks. It's just easier. The app is there and ease of use is there.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #15
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
[...] using this app to see whats new at each library will be nice. And also to see what book I need to read next as it shows me all the loans from all 3 libraries on one page. And showing me what I have suspended on the holds.
Agreed!
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote