Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
AnotherAnders
AnotherAnders began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can everything be OK after aborted Calibre bulk edit?

I made a stupid mistake in a bulk edit of metadata which meant that Calibre would change the author and the tags for all my books, instead of the few I had intended. Due to very poor performance (from competition from other apps) I aborted Calibre during the edit process with the Windows task manager, thinking that any damage didn't matter because I would have to restore a backup of the library anyway. But restarting Calibre before I restored the backup, I cannot see any changes having taken effect. Everything seems exactly as before I started the bulk edit. A library check doesn't signal any errors either.
My question is: can I trust that everything is OK and continue with the current library, or should I restore the backup (losing all updates I made in the last two weeks).
AnotherAnders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
With an abort you can never be 100% certain. Chances are everything is fine, but...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
AnotherAnders

I was afraid you would say that.
Do you think the following strategy is a good idea:
1. save all books that have been modified since last backup to a directory (I checked this selection and it doesn't hold any unwanted modifications)
2. restore backup library
3. add all books in directory with option overwrite duplicate formats

Last edited by AnotherAnders; 12-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Export from damaged library and re-import of the modified books into the backup library is perfectly fine. But rather than using duplicate processing, which is not precise, simply delete the modified books from the backup library as well. Then re-import.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
AnotherAnders

I understand. Thank you very much for your support.

Tags
abortion, bulk edit metadata, calibre