Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
Will we ever be able to turn off the Location / Progress Bar?

I for one would NOT like to know where I am in the book.

If there's a huge 'ending' half way thru the book, then I know it's just a plot twist. Likewise if there's only 1/4 of an inch left, I know the author is gonna be wrapping things up quickly.

Short of duck tape, how long ya think it'll be before the Kindle developers make this a toggable option?
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
How is this avoided when reading a hardcover or paperback?

Geeze ... Now we're demanding that the eReaders OUT-perform paper equivalents (grin).
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
How is this avoided when reading a hardcover or paperback?

Geeze ... Now we're demanding that the eReaders OUT-perform paper equivalents (grin).
I most certainly demand that of an ebook reader. Why shouldn't technology improve the experience where it can? I can't do a text search in my paper books, or instantly look up a word in the dictionary. My paper books don't remember where I stopped reading, either. If an ebook reader didn't do these things, I likely wouldn't buy it.

Adding a control to disable the progress bar should be quite easy and it would make for an interesting new experience. I don't know if there would be a lot of call for it since I think most people are just so used to knowing where they are in a book, but if I had that feature I'd certainly try it just to see what it was like. Sadly I doubt it would ever be high on the list of features to be implemented since it doesn't have huge potential as a differentiator even if it wouldn't be a big deal to code.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
... and you might squeeze in another line of text.

So, an interesting idea.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I personally like knowing where I am in a book. Although your points are the same ones I have when watching sports tape delayed like during the Olympics.

I guess the difference for me is how far am I going to push it reading late into the night? If I am close to the end of the book or the end of a chapter, I will push forward, but if I have too far to go I can get some sleep and finish the next day. I actually prefer how iBooks deals with it. I have both a progress bar and how many pages are left in a particular chapter.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
My Sony 505 has the page number and total pages on the bottom. Never thought to ask if it could be removed. I guess if it can be, someone will find a way to hack it.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You could always cover it with tape.

Seriously though, they certainly could do it. It can be done on the Opus, but then so can other things that the Kindle doesn't allow such as emboldening the text, turning off the flash on page turns, selectable justified text (or not) and using your own fonts. I know Amazon tries to keep everything simple, but more options would be nice sometimes.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-27-2010 at 06:17 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Strolls
Enthusiast
Strolls began at the beginning.

Device: None / Kindle
I think it's a really cool idea. It might prove frustrating at times, but I'd like to try it. Hopefully someone at Amazon is reading this, agrees with us and gives it a trial test.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote