Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
bellosguardo
bellosguardo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Power efficiency

I just got my Sony PRS-505 2 days ago.

I have one simple question which I can't seem to figure out from the manuals.

If I leave the device ON with a book showing on the screen, does it consume energy? Will it drain my battery? Should I turn it off everytime I finish using it?

By the way, my Sleep Mode is set to ON... does that mean that it will power off by itself after a while?

Thanks.
bellosguardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
First off, no, not really. It really only uses batteries when you turn the pages (if I understand correctly. I would, however, turn it off if you are putting it in a bag or something of that nature. .

In default Sleep mode, the screen shuts off after an hour.

One important thing to note - the slider at the top actually only puts the device on Standby. This is all fine, the battery lasts for a long time. But if you aren't going to pick your device up for a month or more, you should do a full shut down, otherwise the battery will slowly drain (very very slowly, but it will). I've actually never fully shut down my Reader, I just use the slider and charge the unit every two weeks.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh and congrats on your new 505!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
bellosguardo
bellosguardo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
After I left it on for a while (without using the slider to turn it off), i opened the leather case to find a message on the screen saying "To Format Internal Memory press xxx". Apparently I must've pressed something for that to show up. So I will turn it off anyhow

Oh, and thanks, I hope i'll get myself to read more.
bellosguardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellosguardo View Post
After I left it on for a while (without using the slider to turn it off), i opened the leather case to find a message on the screen saying "To Format Internal Memory press xxx". Apparently I must've pressed something for that to show up. So I will turn it off anyhow

Oh, and thanks, I hope i'll get myself to read more.
Oops! Yeah, I turn mine off pretty much every time I put it down.
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Putting the reader in standby by using the slider at the top locks the keys, so you can't accidently press something. If you just leave it on it can change the pages etc
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, sleep