eBookMobi 0 0%
Blio 0 0%
Tomes 1 1.05%
Other (post name and link please) 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #31
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moody View Post
So - is Stanza dead?

It doesn't now work for me on ipad3.
Stanza still works for me on iPad 3 iOS 6.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have most of my ebooks in ePub so it's easy to load into my iTunes via Calibre. I like the folder set up.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Sue - you're lucky - I miss Stanza.

Do settings work properly?
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sony finally released their long awaited Sony Reader iPad app. It is very impressive with a lot of formatting options and the choice of 45 fonts!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I played with the Sony app for a bit. It's not bad but I won't be switching right away. NOTE: it is only available in the US iTunes store. You need a US account to download it.

Pros:
- Can sideload EPUBs
- Very customizable reading settings (margins, text size, dozens of fonts, dozens of text and background colours, 5 page turning animations)
- Swipe up and down for brightness control
- Can copy text, or share selections via email and Twitter

Cons:
- No offline dictionary (uses Google search)
- No one-tap in-line definitions
- No Wikipedia integration
- No quick highlighting
- The 'slide' animation is quite jarring
- The 'flip' animation is not very elegant
- Bookmarking requires two taps
- No progress indicator in library view
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #36
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Logged into my US account and downloaded Sony Reader app. Haven't loaded it to the new phone yet, but it does sound promising I wonder why its not available on other stores?

[Edit] It doesnt matter. Its Bluefire reader in new clothes.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-06-2012 at 03:01 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #37
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
iBooks irritates me for two reasons. Its absolutely ridiculous waste of screen real estate on the iPhone (WHY do we need huge margins and book name and page numbers always displayed on a small screen?!) and lack of in app rotation lock. The latter is only a mild irritation but the former is a deal breaker.
I always forget the name of the book I'm reading as soon as I turn to the first page after the cover so I like it.
Your printed books also have space around the text, it's a design issue and I find it is well done in iBooks. I turn my text size down real small so most of the time I have to battle the turning off of the light

Rotation lock would be nice, but I have it set all across the system so it doesn't bother me.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
Stanza is dead for me because it hasn't been updated in a year and is letterboxed on my iPod screen.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #39
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moody View Post
Sue - you're lucky - I miss Stanza.

Do settings work properly?
Okay, I see what you mean. No. It gets stuck when I go to settings. Clearly I don't use it that much. My husband does but he's on an iPad 2.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #40
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I would use iBooks if there was a Mac version of it. For now I'm using Kindle, waiting for something better to come along. Had hopes for the Sony reader, but it fails in the area of syncing. Maybe it will improve in later versions.

By the way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
...used with your Kindle's email address for getting it onto your reading device. Since I don't have a Kindle, that doesn't work for me.
You don't need to have a Kindle to use the Kindle e-mail address - or the "Send to Kindle" app, which accomplishes the same thing more easily. It works for the iPhone too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
...found it great for syncing between the desktop computer and the Kindle reader on the iPhone but, apparently that only works for books you have downloaded from Amazon and/or have used with your Kindle's email address...
Unfortunately, syncing with the desktop computer only works for purchased books, not for books you've sent to the Kindle's email address.
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #41
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I just wish there was an ebook reading program that allowed you to sort by date installed AND allowed syncing between computer and hand held devices. LOL

okay... yes, there are other features I would like but those above are biggies for me.

If only Shubooks would add syncing, I would be a very happy camper.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote