Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Lobo59
Lobo59 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
What I saw at the LAX airport!

As I was going through security at Terminal 2 at the Los Angeles Intl airport I surprised to see a Sony Advertisement for the PRS-505 on the bottom of the white bins that go through the X-Ray machines. It was the advert that Sony has on their website, a picture of a silver 505 next to a stack of books. The TSA agent said that companies pay to do it. (Those marketing people think of everything!) I was thinking of taking a picture of it with my iPhone but was worried that the TSA agents would take issue.
I thought it was a creative way to advertise to those people who would most likely buy it, frequent flyers....

Lobo59
Lobo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo59 View Post
...Sony Advertisement for the PRS-505 on the bottom of the white bins that go through the X-Ray machines...
What a fantastic spot to place an e-book reader ad!

Anecdote: I brought my mom to the airport last week and she had so much luggage (including a small dog) that she decided to leave her heavy paper books behind. Imagine how happy she would have been had had she the Sony Reader in her bag.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
anyone seen the 505 for sale at lax? i vaguely remember seeing the 500 there in march and am passing through again in december and wouldn't mind picking one up.......
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
anyone seen the 505 for sale at lax? i vaguely remember seeing the 500 there in march and am passing through again in december and wouldn't mind picking one up.......
No, but I saw it and bought it at Logan in Boston at Borders.

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They've got an ad in this month's SkyMall magazine, too. I have to read something during take off and landing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
LAX is being used to test ads in the security areas at airports (captive audience). Soon to come, ads on the floors and on the metal tables in addition to the boxes.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Lobo59
Lobo59 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I haven't seen a PRS-500/505 at the LAX airport, but I bought my 505 at the Detroit Metro Airport. There are two Borders Books stores there and they sell the Silver readers. One interesting thing is that a few days ago I was at one of the DTW Borders Book store and the Sony Reader boxes locked behind glass under the display had stickers on them saying that a $25.00 (I think) discount at the Borders/Sony ebook site was included. Has anyone heard when that site will be available?

Lobo
Lobo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last I heard (several months old) it was still in the planning stages.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
They've got an ad in this month's SkyMall magazine, too. I have to read something during take off and landing.

Ditto. Saw it this week on my way to Germany. Thats one of the small downsides to the electronic format..not able to read during the long the down time they mandate before takeoff and landing...maybe someday.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

The obnoxious thing to my mind is that since the Reader still has the processor spinning and the OS running, it isn't really any more off when it's "off" than it is when it's "on."
Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The obnoxious thing to my mind is that since the Reader still has the processor spinning and the OS running, it isn't really any more off when it's "off" than it is when it's "on."
It's the same with PDAs, iPods and even some computers in sleep mode. They're just trying to be hyper-cautious, but it is really annoying to have nothing but the airline magazine and the skymall catalog to read during takeoff and landing. Sometimes I buy a magazine I'll actually enjoy at the airport, but usually I forget.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Sometimes I buy a magazine I'll actually enjoy at the airport...
Ditto. I usually get a random newspaper or magazine just to pass the time until I can switch on my Reader again.

E-paper will pass the test (as a replacement of p-paper) once flight assistants won't be able to tell the difference anymore and thus won't tell you to switch off your device.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quick FYI: I saw these 505 display ads in Sky Harbor (PHX- Phoenix) and Logan International (BOS - Boston).
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Saw an ad on the wall in an ATL terminal as well...
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Ditto. I usually get a random newspaper or magazine just to pass the time until I can switch on my Reader again.

E-paper will pass the test (as a replacement of p-paper) once flight assistants won't be able to tell the difference anymore and thus won't tell you to switch off your device.
During takeoff and landing, I slip my reader into one of my old magazines and nobody is the wiser, except my wife whom is a Flight Attendant for American. She just shakes her head when I do that. She admitted she wouldn't pick up on it while working a flight.

And I agree with NatCh that it is on when it is off and off when it is on.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote