Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PRS-505 is mostly back in stock

SonyStyle now has the Harlequin bundle and the Silver PRS-505s in stock. The Blue is on back order. So it looks like PVI is hard at work making 6" Vizplex screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookeen are sold out again until March. Wonder how much longer the Sony will still in stock?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That I cannot answer. But it is a good question.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
It is a bit annoying that neither Sony nor Amazon will release actual sales/ production numbers. Sold out could mean they sold 2 or 200,000 units.... Though likely somewhere in between!
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsohsmith View Post
It is a bit annoying that neither Sony nor Amazon will release actual sales/ production numbers. Sold out could mean they sold 2 or 200,000 units.... Though likely somewhere in between!
I suspect that at present all the main eBook reader sellers are being limited by their supply of screens. Judging from peoples' order numbers, Bookeen seem to be able to supply around 2000-3000 units per month. There's no particular reason to suppose that Sony or Amazon are able to get hold of significantly more screens - they all come from the same source.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
My wife has been threatening to get me the Harlequin one for an anniversary gift. We'll see what she actually got me...

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If she gets you the romance edition, please take pictures.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Quote:
If she gets you the romance edition, please take pictures.
Because I have been enjoying my blue PRS 505 so much, my wife has demanded one of her own. She wanted the Harlequin pinky, so we have ordered one for her. My friend will bring it to us from the US in early march (we are on a one year assignment in Switzerland), so if no one else has posted pictures by then, I will do so.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Just as a note, my wife called in for status, since Sony is rather poor at keeping up status. (They had said that it had shipped.) Actually, it has not shipped and they are out of stock.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
I know it's been discussed before, but I wonder how much the e-ink screens will go down in price one more manufacturing facilities are in place and the marketing and development of the product become more streamlined. I imagine that a lot of the price difference with cheaper screen would be eaten up by Sony et all, but if newer model Readers were $200 instead of $300, that would be making up a huge gap in terms of what a lot of people are willing to pay for such a device (although I've seen at least one person say they wouldn't pay over 50!).
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It would be nice to see prices drop due to the screens being cheaper to produce. But I hope in making them cheaper to produce they don't make the screen more fragile.