Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
squiggy
squiggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Automatically Changing Font Size

I purchased a copy of The Hunger Games from the Kindle store and when I opened on my K3 (with 3.1 firmware), I noticed the font size was one step larger than my preferred setting. When I open the font menu, it's still set at my preference (3rd from smallest), but the displayed font is larger.

After moving through a few pages, the font eventually switched back to the correct size. However, once I finished the first chapter and moved to Ch 2, the font was again enlarged.

Anyone else experience this? It's annoying as I've grown accustomed to one font size. I have no problems with other books, but this is the first book I've bought with real page numbers.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've seen an occasional book where the font size is set one higher than my normal setting. I suspect the beginning of the book formatting has something like "font-size: +1", which you should not put into ebooks, except for very short sections (like headings).

I doubt it has anything to do with the page numbers. There is no reason for the software to link the two things.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggy View Post
Anyone else experience this? ...
I've seen similar font issues (a size change, bold, and/or italic running for a few screens and then "healing" at some point) in ebooks converted from other formats. When I edit the original ePub or convert the original to ePub for editing I generally find extremely poor document construction and style application, things that may have survived display in an ePub reader but not survive conversion to MOBI.

I don't buy DRM'd books so I don't have any real experience with them in terms of reliability. The very few I have are free promotional books.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggy View Post
Anyone else experience this? It's annoying as I've grown accustomed to one font size. I have no problems with other books, but this is the first book I've bought with real page numbers.
Some ebooks have a larger font specified as a default font. I've seen this once in a while ever since I got my first Kindle three years ago.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I've seen this in books too, what you can do is convert the mobi file to an epub, open the epub in Sigil and edit the offending HTML of the epub. Please understand that you have now worked on the book and to me this is good work.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I too have come across ebooks with this problem. If it caused from font tags you can remove them and this will fix the issue most of the time.

You can use Calibre to fix it.

In Search & Replace area of Calibre
<font([^>]+)>
then leave replace box empty.
Then in the second box
</font>
and leave the replace empty.
The first one will get rid of all font tags and the second the closing font tags.

This will work but it can also remove bold and italics if the book is poorly coded, You can always specify which font tag to remove if it's just a a Font Size +1 issue by using the Search and Replace wizard you can view the coding in the book and see what will be removed using the regex above and adjust it accordingly to your book's code.

I wish Calibre automatically fixed this problem. It seems to be happening more and more these days.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
I have alot of books where the publisher thought it was a good idea to override the font size or decide that I want to read in left justification or other horrible ways.

It's usually long books or china meivelle ones that I've run across that are formatted like crap. It drives me crazy.
I have to strip drm, convert to epub, change css, fix other crappy formatting then convert back to mobi.
It feels like they should be paying me sometimes.

They obviously don't know what they're doing, and somehow have a job making ebooks.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote