Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 02:43 AM   #61
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Either that, or they just have very good speculative manual writers ;-)
It doesn't cost that much to make changes to a manual, you know. A manual might look more or less ready for printing, and still undergo a month of daily (mostly stupid) changes. It depends how fine they thread (or at least that's the idiom in Spanish!), and how much money they got to burn.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #62
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
There was never anything that ugly on Star Trek. Here are some "real" PADDs:

Earlier ones:

Last edited by Ken Stuart; 09-13-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #63
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Speaking of DRM content and new machines, MicroSoft is introducing a new player this year that is not compatible with their old "Plays For Sure" format. Thus all the people who bought DRM music must now buy it again.

Edit: Mobi may well still be available for other readers to implement. Amazon is in the business of selling content, the more readers that can use Mobi, the more content they can sell. It will be a matter of implementing uniform DRM restrictions more than anything else. Apple on the other hand is in the hardware business and maintains iTunes as a service and a selling point for the iPod, it is not their main line business.

Last edited by RWood; 11-22-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Additional thought about Amazon
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 PM   #64
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

MS is abandoning PlaysForSure. Well, I don't know that they have said that, but there is no PFS on the new Zune and DRM content wrapped in it won't run on the Zune. So, it seems like its days are numbered.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #65
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

I really don't care how it looks, so long as it works, is relatively inexpensive, and is available for purchase in Canada. Looking at the manual (thanks for posting the link to it), it looks like the Kindle allows for text searching, which is a feature I was wishing for in the Sony Reader. In two different places, it lists file types it will open, and the lists are not the same. So long as it opens .pdf, .rtf and .txt, Kindle is looking like one of my preferred choices so far.
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #66
kahm
kahm is on a distinguished road

Device: 505/Librie/Zaurus/iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuata
I really don't care how it looks, so long as it works, is relatively inexpensive, and is available for purchase in Canada. Looking at the manual (thanks for posting the link to it), it looks like the Kindle allows for text searching, which is a feature I was wishing for in the Sony Reader. In two different places, it lists file types it will open, and the lists are not the same. So long as it opens .pdf, .rtf and .txt, Kindle is looking like one of my preferred choices so far.
I agree. As long as it's cheap and I can actually buy it (I'm in Canada too), then it can look like anything it wants (short of eating babies and spitting pea soup)
kahm is offline   Reply With Quote