Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
thosedays
thosedays began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Lightbulb Calibre fills automatically title and author metadata in books without any metadata?

I make this thread, because I found something interesting and which is related to my other thread/question that I made earlier on this forum but in different category.

I started to play with calibre and found that, that probably when some book that I add, if don't have any metadata info(title, author, etc.) calibre takes it from the filename somehow.
And that's one part of the thing that I asked in previous thread that could help me changing metadata in bulk.

So Calibre is capable of doing this, but is there anyway to control it, like for e.g. tell it to always try to make such metadata from files, even if the file have some metadata?

And maybe to tell it the pattern/s.

There is also an old thread on this forum, where there is a similar question and one might even say it's solved, but the solution for me is to tricky(?), just bad. Especially if it seems that Calibre is capable of doing it automatically.
thosedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Look at Preferences:Adding Books

Calibre can use either From fiilename (with the appropriate template set) or from internal metadata
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
thosedays

Thank You @theducks!

By the way, do You(or anyone) know, how to prevent Calibre at saving books to disk, from moving the word "The" when occurring in the beginning of the title to the end of the title preceded by the coma?
Old 10-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
look in Preferences: tweaks:

the Keyword is strictly alphbabetical

But this begs the question: 'Why do you care?" Calibre will deliver the books, no matter what THE NAMEING is"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
thosedays

It helped again, You helped me again. Thanks!

Although I think I don't quite get what You mean.
If it interest You because of some reason I will tell You what is the difference for me.
What I wanted is to change in my books the metadata, because many books had them wrong and all those books have all the information needed in filename.
So I import all those books by the method You showed me, and then save them to disk.
But I had a problem with some files, because some files with word at the beginning for e.g. "The" weren't saved as same as they were in original but now the is at the end of title sentence in filename in windows.
I don't know how it looks like on other devices but on my kindle pdf are named as filename and mobi's etc. are named as title and author.
Anyway, thanks again, and sorry if I didn't get something.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@thosedays - you need familiarise yourself with the calibre template language

Another of calibre tools - Plugboards - can help organise books on various devices such as Kindles.

I'm moving this thread to the Library Management subforum, there are a couple of sticky threads there (at the top) with many sample templates and plugboards.

I also recommend the Video Tutorials

And as always Goggle is available, it just found this for 'calibre plugboards' ==>> HTG - How To Use Calibre To Correctly Order Your Ebook Series

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulk, bulk edit metadata, bulk metadata, calibre, metadata