Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
gperrot
gperrot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Display maps of Lonely Planet digital guides on Kindle Paperwhite ?

Hello,

I would like to use a Kindle Paperwhite to read my Lonely Planet guides [Link deleted - MODERATOR]. I heard that the reading of maps is really a problem because the maps are very small.

Have you any experience of that and can you confirm it ? (there are two possible formats of digital guides : PDF and EPUB, can you precise which one do you use ?)

If you want a PUB or PDF file for testing, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gigi.

PS : I am also looking the Kobo Aura device and I have the same question about this device...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-04-2013 at 07:09 AM.
gperrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
PDF wouldn't be ideal, I had a look at one of the previews on my Kindle and it is a little small and not easy to read the maps because they are in black and white. You can change to landscape view and it makes the map much bigger (it splits it over two pages).

Looking at the Lonely Planet website, some of the guides give options for PDF, EPUB & MOBI, and I'd certainly think that either MOBI or EPUB would be a better option if you planned to use any e-reader. PDF files are only really going to be suitable for tablets.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
gperrot

Question Re: Display maps of Lonely Planet digital guides on Kindle Paperwhite ?

Thanks a lot for your precise answer.
Below are my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
PDF wouldn't be ideal, I had a look at one of the previews on my Kindle and it is a little small and not easy to read the maps because they are in black and white. You can change to landscape view and it makes the map much bigger (it splits it over two pages).

Looking at the Lonely Planet website, some of the guides give options for PDF, EPUB & MOBI, and I'd certainly think that either MOBI or EPUB would be a better option if you planned to use any e-reader. PDF files are only really going to be suitable for tablets.
1) Why PDF is not as suitable than EPUB or MOBI ?
2) Between MOBI or EPUB, what is the best format ?
3) Have you tried those 2 formats ?
4) No way to zoom on small maps with those 2 formats ?
5) do you have the Kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, maybe some display problems are solved ?

Gigi
Old 12-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MOBI or EPUB would be better because they are designed for ereaders, PDF files are designed for computers (they are larger and don't display so well on the smaller 6" screens of ereaders).

I haven't tried either of them because the samples are PDF only. As to which is better between epub or mobi, I'm not sure there will be any difference between them, but if you get a Kindle you will require the mobi format, the Kobo Aura would use the epub version (although if DRM free, you can easily convert between the two if you only had the epub version but had bought a Kindle). I've no idea if the epub/mobi digital guides sold by Lonely Planet are DRM free though.

You can zoom in on the maps (at least in the PDF format) but it's a bit slow and cumbersome. I have the latest Paperwhite.

Here's two screenshots of a map from the PDF sample, first in Landscape view, second in the standard portrait view. Neither looked anywhere near as clear on my Kindle as the screenshots appear!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	116147   Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	116148  
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have several Lonely Planet guides on my paperwhite2 (from amazon in kindle format). The maps are available in full where you cannot read everything and additionally the maps are shown in quadrants so every map page is additionally partitioned into 4 separate pages, where you can read everything.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
gperrot

Question Re: Display maps of Lonely Planet digital guides on Kindle Paperwhite ?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Would you mind to send a picture of both view (full and 4 quadrants) please ?
Do you find kindle paperwhite2 ergonomic in travel situation with those 2 views ? What is the kindle format ? MOBI ? Can I translate kindle format to EPUB if I want to try a Kobo Aura device with the same original file ?

Gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
I have several Lonely Planet guides on my paperwhite2 (from amazon in kindle format). The maps are available in full where you cannot read everything and additionally the maps are shown in quadrants so every map page is additionally partitioned into 4 separate pages, where you can read everything.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperrot View Post
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Would you mind to send a picture of both view (full and 4 quadrants) please ?
Do you find kindle paperwhite2 ergonomic in travel situation with those 2 views ? What is the kindle format ? MOBI ? Can I translate kindle format to EPUB if I want to try a Kobo Aura device with the same original file ?

Gigi
Sorry for the delay in answering. Actually, on the road I am using my smartphone to look at the guide books. It's great that you can use the kindle guide books on many platforms. My S2 is just easier to use on the road than the bulky kindle. However, when planning the day I use the kindle.

I will try to get some screenshots of a map example.

I guess you can perform any kind of format conversion. However, that would involve getting rid of the DRM which is not legal.

By the way, we had a comparison between kindle and Kobo Aura in our company these day with large and heavily linked ebooks. The result was that kindle was far superior to Kobo when handling these files. Kindle did not introduce any delays when following links while kobo had a 5-10 seconds delay.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #8
gperrot

No problem for the delay and thanks a lot for your detailed answer.

Would you mind to provide me a recent Lonely Planet guide book you have in order to test it myself ?

Furthermore, do you have the complete results of Paperwhite2 vs Aura comparison ?

Gigi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
Sorry for the delay in answering. Actually, on the road I am using my smartphone to look at the guide books. It's great that you can use the kindle guide books on many platforms. My S2 is just easier to use on the road than the bulky kindle. However, when planning the day I use the kindle.

I will try to get some screenshots of a map example.

I guess you can perform any kind of format conversion. However, that would involve getting rid of the DRM which is not legal.

By the way, we had a comparison between kindle and Kobo Aura in our company these day with large and heavily linked ebooks. The result was that kindle was far superior to Kobo when handling these files. Kindle did not introduce any delays when following links while kobo had a 5-10 seconds delay.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Do not ask for copies of copyrighted material again or you will be instantly and permanently banned from MobileRead. We will not permit these forums to be used to condone, encourage, or facilitate piracy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
gperrot

Sorry for that ! I didn't want to pirate but I just wanted to make a test of a Kindle device with that kind of documents.

I apologize for that.

Gigi
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Are you in the US? Does your local library have an ebook program? You may want to check. My library carries a huge number of Lonely Planet titles in ebook format.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
gperrot

I am in France and there is no ebook program in my library unfortunately. Thanks a lot for the suggestion !
Old 12-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperrot View Post
I am in France and there is no ebook program in my library unfortunately. Thanks a lot for the suggestion !
Try a Kindle sample...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
gperrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Try a Kindle sample...
Thanks a lot for your answer. In fact, I want to test a Lonely planet guide on Kindle and Kobo. Do you know where I can find a sample legally ?

Gigi
Old 12-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

You can download a free preview sample of the Kindle format from the Amazon website. For example, this link will take you to the Spain Guide on the amazon.fr website, and you'll see the link for a sample on the right under the buy button. If you don't already have a Kindle you can test it on, you can download the Kindle for PC app from Amazon to view it.

I don't think any of the epub stores have samples so can't help you for seeing how the epub would look on the Kobo.