Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #1246
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@ixtab

i tried to localize JBPatch 3.2.1 by following the instructions (copying the translated menu txt files to opt/jbpatch and restart). But the strange thing is that of the 4 menu items (I'm using KT 5.3.2), the Modify Reader Margins menu remains in English. I've check the file name and re-started KT a few times, but this menu is still not localized.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem. Thanks.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #1247
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@yiming
All files localized?
The files name is exactly same the english version?
The files is UTF-8 format?
Disconnect and unplug the device, then reboot.
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #1248
needle
needle began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrixxxxxxxx View Post
Now you've gone way past my level of competence and started talking gibberish but someone on here will have the expertise to help you.
Gibberish? Sorry, dude. Let me try to rephrase. (I figure you have a technical background since you're in here answering questions -- if not, hopefully someone else sees this and can help me out.)

I've installed JBPatch (and read through the README a couple times). After opening JBPatch on my Kindle Paper White, it says that I have four patches: Enhance Dictionary Lookup, Modify Reader Font Sizes, Fix Reader Layout and Hyphenation, and Modify Reader Margins.

My main question is: are there any patches I can install besides those four that I already have? If so, how do I get them?

Looking at the source code for jbpatch that ixtab put up, there's some files in here that I'm guessing are patches I can compile myself. Has anyone else tried this?
needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #1249
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Those four are the only patches which work on the paperwhite. The other patches are for the Kindle touch. See:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPatch#Patches
Quote:
Firmware 5.3.x users: Not all of the patches are available for Firmware 5.3.x. Some of the patches simply do not make sense on a Paperwhite (like the Cover Views or TTS patch), and others have not been ported. Do not try to install a patch for an older firmware, it won't work.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #1250
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanog View Post
@yiming
All files localized?
The files name is exactly same the english version?
The files is UTF-8 format?
Disconnect and unplug the device, then reboot.
yes, the files are all localised, in UTF-8 and with the same names as the English version.

anyway, the problem has been solved after I re-saved those files which were not working by setting the Return method to LF only (before that it was CR+LF).

I'm not sure whether this is really the solution as previously one of the files was working even though the Return method was CR+LF (i think).

thanks for your help.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #1251
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/PW/KV
I haven't been to the forum for a while, last time I heard 5.3.2 was very hard to crack. Now 5.3.3 is out, can I simply update by placing the update file to the root folder or do I need something else to preserve the holes (I'm using 5.3.1)?
morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #1252
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow View Post
I haven't been to the forum for a while, last time I heard 5.3.2 was very hard to crack. Now 5.3.3 is out, can I simply update by placing the update file to the root folder or do I need something else to preserve the holes (I'm using 5.3.1)?
5.3.2 is for the K5(Touch, not the Paperwhite).

5.3.1 and 5.3.3 are for the K5(Paperwhite).

Mostly yes, use these hints: (at least up to the point that the KUAL launcher is once again working - which means any Kindlet will work again.):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...94#post2399494

I.E: The device jailbreak survives the update, other part have to be replaced.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #1253
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
First of all, thank you, ixtab for all your hard work Finally took the plunge and jailbroke my PW today. Just a question, I installed JBPatch and there's no option to rotate in all directions? Is there a step I might have missed?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #1254
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
First of all, thank you, ixtab for all your hard work Finally took the plunge and jailbroke my PW today. Just a question, I installed JBPatch and there's no option to rotate in all directions? Is there a step I might have missed?
Support all orientations in the Java UI (including upside-down), working for Home Screen, Kindlets, ... (FW 5.1.x only)
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #1255
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanog View Post
Support all orientations in the Java UI (including upside-down), working for Home Screen, Kindlets, ... (FW 5.1.x only)
Oops Got it! Thank you
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #1256
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
errr.... I kind of recall something (an extension???) that does that..

*goes off and looks for it*

EDIT:

Ah right.... looks like orientationLock is no longer respected in 5.3.3. for the MAIN UI ?? Hadn't remembered/noticed that... sorry.

however... if you want it for books... read on.
The only real extra this gives you is the inverted landscape view (probably why I hid it away)

I will repack the HELPER in readiness for the next release to have the following amends...

Spoiler:
Okay.. so I dug.. this still works for books...

I don't know about a PW but on a touch...
(There is a SIMILAR script hidden in KUAL HELPER extensions folder, so you would need to EDIT that or to make an ameded copy/script of your own...)

/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/setorientation.sh (U D L or R)

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# I think this is now creds of Ixtab / Yifan Lu. repacked by Twobob.
SETPROP=/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop
PREFS=/var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

case "$1" in
"L"|"R"|"U")
        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock $1
        ;;
"D")
eips 2 38 "NO LONGER SUPPORTED"
        ;;
esac
Also of note...

nano -w -$ /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

Quote:
#User preferences for Framework
locale=en-GB
cover.art.upgraded=true
SPEAKER_VOLUME=11
TTS_SPEECH_RATE=2

device.orientation=U <-- no longer parsed for UI? meh.
TTS_VOICE=Tom
HEADSET_VOLUME=4

anyways. something like that.

if you wanted to add it the the KUAL HELPER BUTTONS then the menu.json would require the following additions.

Code:
                        {"name": "Rotation U", "priority": 6, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "U"},
                        {"name": "Rotation L", "priority": 7, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "L"},
                        {"name": "Rotation R", "priority": 8, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "R"}

FULL EXAMPLE:

Spoiler:
Code:
{
        "items": [
                {
                "name": "Helper",
                "priority": 0,
                "items": [
                        {"name": "BEGIN Grayed Installer", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/start_update.sh"},
                        {"name": "TOGGLE UsbNetworking", "priority": 2, "action": "bin/usbnetwork.sh"},
                        {"name": "PREVENT ScreenSaver", "priority": 3, "action": "bin/ssprevent.sh"},
                        {"name": "ALLOW ScreenSaver", "priority": 4, "action": "bin/ssallow.sh"},
                        {"name": "SHOW Network Info ", "priority": 5, "action": "bin/411.sh", "params": "711"},
                        {"name": "Rotation U", "priority": 6, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "U"},
                        {"name": "Rotation L", "priority": 7, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "L"},
                        {"name": "Rotation R", "priority": 8, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "R"}
                ]
                }
        ]
}

limited usefulness but meh. it's there. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_186.png
Views:	327
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	101650   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_187.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	101651   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_188.png
Views:	311
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	101652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_189.png
Views:	310
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	101655   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_190.png
Views:	318
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	101656  

Last edited by twobob; 02-21-2013 at 11:22 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1257
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a setorientation.sh script in the helper extensions. There are no buttons defined to use it, however.

Spoiler:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
"L"|"R")
#        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn true
        ;;
"U"|"D")
#        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn $({ grep onPageTurn $PREFS || echo false ; } | sed 's/.*=//')
        ;;
esac
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #1258
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
There's a setorientation.sh script in the helper extensions. There are no buttons defined to use it, however.

Spoiler:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
"L"|"R")
#        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn true
        ;;
"U"|"D")
#        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn $({ grep onPageTurn $PREFS || echo false ; } | sed 's/.*=//')
        ;;
esac
I did not write that he **never** makes mistakes, just that he makes fewer than lab126 does.

There was a spell of problems with parameter passing and this little nit was probably the victim of 'clean up' after that problem was dealt with.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #1259
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

HA! I see, thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1260
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I assure you it is no mistake... (but knc1 is right we did have a little params gaff)

viz... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1256
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks