eBookMobi 0 0%
Blio 0 0%
Tomes 1 1.05%
Other (post name and link please) 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky77 View Post
I primarily use the Kindle app because I also have a Kindle Touch and buy most of my ebooks for that. Just wondering why the Nook app was left out of the poll? I use that as well because I still have a bunch of Nook Books and a magazine subscription through Barnes & Noble.
I'm Australian. Nook is not freely available across the planet
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Although I have several other reader apps on my iThingies (Nook, Kindle, BlueFire, Stanza), I stick with iBooks for my books and ComicZeal for comics. I apparently have very pedestrian needs with regards to my reader app as compared to most of the folks around here - I don't really notice fonts or margins, have never had a desire to make a note or look up a word. I just want it to show me the book, and I think the bookshelves and page turn are kind of neat, so iBooks it is.

I make virtually all my purchases from Barnes and Noble, because my original device was a Nook, and my mother and both sisters have since purchased Nooks and registered all of them under my account so we can all access all our purchases. I don't actually do much reading on my Nook anymore, and have never done any reading on the Nook app; I download all our purchases, strip the DRM and drop them into iBooks so everything shows up in the same place. My sisters and mother are nowhere near technologically savvy enough to do any of this, so I just stick with B&N for their benefit.

Last edited by hrosvit; 09-19-2012 at 09:02 AM.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #18
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Readmill is a curious community of readers, highlighting and sharing the books they love.
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'm taking another look at Shubook. Any reader which can talk to Calibre deserves multiple looks. So thats Stanza, Shubook and Megareader so far... what others do? I cant remember.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I still do majority of my reading via Stanza on the iPod Touch and iPhone but now I'm using iBooks, too. I prefer iBooks' 2-page layout on the iPad so that got me started using it. The organization is crap so what I do is just browse/search for books on the Calibre server using Safari and use the "Open in iBooks" link. Unlike some of the other readers I've tried (e.g. Kobo, Bluefire), it appears iBooks is smart enough to realize if I've previously downloaded a book (maybe using the epub identifier?) and resumes from where I left off which is good enough for me.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
it appears iBooks is smart enough to realize if I've previously downloaded a book (maybe using the epub identifier?) and resumes from where I left off which is good enough for me.

agree! ibook is still up and best!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I currently use Apabi as my preferred reader as it has the most features that want and use.

In the future, if the smaller version of the iPad does show up and I get it, I would have to start looking for an ereader that syncs easily.

I don't buy books from Amazon though I downloaded a free book once and found it great for syncing between the desktop computer and the Kindle reader on the iPhone but, apparently that only works for books you have downloaded from Amazon and/or have used with your Kindle's email address for getting it onto your reading device. Since I don't have a Kindle, that doesn't work for me. I think the Nook reader works the same as the Kindle reader.

iBooks apparently will sync ebooks but it doesn't have all of the features that I prefer.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:47 AM   #23
greenyouth
Zealot

What APabi all about?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
I would easily choose ibooks. I really like the design and its performance too, very smooth. However, I found iBooks handle PDFs not good as others, so I also recommend PDF Max as a free tool to work with your PDFs (forget about Adobe Reader, it's really bad).
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I use Kindle and Kobo. I don't have a particular preference, it just depends on where I bought the book from.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #26
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
iBooks irritates me for two reasons. Its absolutely ridiculous waste of screen real estate on the iPhone (WHY do we need huge margins and book name and page numbers always displayed on a small screen?!) and lack of in app rotation lock. The latter is only a mild irritation but the former is a deal breaker. Pity, 'cos its fine on the iPad and page syncing is nice.

So, since we're likely never to see Stanza updated for the 5's taller screen, I'm giving Megareader a go. It's not bad, only thing notably lacking is a dictionary, ability to change how paragraphs are displayed and the rotation lock doesn't currently work on the 5.

Last edited by yegon; 10-03-2012 at 02:43 AM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I am hooked on auto-scroll so I use Tomes. It also talks to Calibre server, which is great. It's not perfect, but I gotta have auto-scroll. If anyone knows of other auto-scroll readers for iOS, please let me know. I know about uBooks and i2reader... are there any others?
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
So - is Stanza dead?

It doesn't now work for me on ipad3.
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Kindle for me as I can read my books on practically any device.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Wrong thread. Deleted.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote