Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
Njall
Enthusiast
Njall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, S7 Edge, Tab 4
Questions about adding "Jim's Board" to my PW2

My Kindle PW2 is running firmware 5.8.9.2. I would like to jailbreak it. Apparently the only way I can do that at this time is to crack the PW2 open and tickle it via its internal serial port.

Thanks to dhdurgee pointing me in the direction of Serial Jailbreaking your fw >= 5.6.x Kindle for Dummies I am in the process of doing this.

I have already obtained Jim's board. I have already cracked the case open w/o damaging anything that I am aware of. Out of its case entirely, the Kindle still works. I am as amazed as you are!

While reading the Serial Jailbreaking thread I saw a post from kaz572 about mounting the serial board permanently into the PW2 case. That seems like a reasonable thing to do. I have been ESD trained. I can solder, have tools, patience, and time. Oh, and a Dremel. Don't leave home without it! Before proceeding I have a couple of questions.

Q:1 Does leaving the serial board attached, obviously continuously powered, cause any significant change in the Kindle's battery life?

Q:2 Has anyone other than kaz572 done this? Care to share your experience and any tips you might have? For example, what's the best place to mount the board?

Thanks in advance.
Njall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
That is raz572. Let me finish reading the other thread.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:35 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=14

There have been other ways posted also.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Njall
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

There have been other ways posted also.
Alas, that link is 404 to me. I did look around a bit. I try not to be a tard.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njall View Post
Here:
The example is buried in a thread on a different subject.

There was one where the person made a connector to fit between the charge light and the USB connector on the bottom.
They brought out the serial port leads on that connector (used external serial-to-usb adapter).

And then one person used a serial-to-bluetooth adapter installed inside the Kindle case.

Of course there is the 'old school' "just put a notch in the case and tape leads flat against back when not in use" way of doing things.

Nobody has posted how to do any of those things using only a big hammer, but I am sure somebody out there has tried.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
I think thid is the one knc1 meant to link. He had posted it in recently in the main serial jailbreaking thread, and it looks like there were some copy paste issues.

reference to his post in the main thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...267541&page=13
post #193

I've thought about doing this on my new device, and having the leads come straight up, instead of coming out the side, so the opening is on the back of the case, instead of the side.

This would let it be hidden while I have my cover installed. Doing it this way I could put the jim board inside it, or I could just put like a 4 pin header up into it.

Last edited by coplate; 06-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Njall
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nobody has posted how to do any of those things using only a big hammer, but I am sure somebody out there has tried.
This link worked superbly.

Regards using only a big hammer: I've got one of those; however, I thought I'd need a chisel too. Did I miss that shop class?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
This link worked superbly.

Regards using only a big hammer: I've got one of those; however, I thought I'd need a chisel too. Did I miss that shop class?
A very sharp chisel might help avoid splashing the e-ink around.

= = = = =

We should be more careful what we write.
Some fool will read this a few years from now, not recognize the immediate context, and try it.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
Njall
Enthusiast

Quote:
We should be more careful what we write.
Some fool will read this a few years from now, not recognize the immediate context, and try it.
I've often wondered if we might have a similar issue with Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Kids! Don't do this at home. We don't know what we're doing and we're doing it well.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
Njall
Enthusiast

Woo hooooo! Finally got/took the time to follow Serial Jailbreaking your fw >= 5.6.x Kindle for Dummies. I believe I have successfully completed the actual JailBreak. I've yet to install the Debug Serial port into the case; but, that's gonna happen.

Thank you to all who have helped!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JailBroked_Kindle.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	157452  

Last edited by Njall; 06-21-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Tags
firmware downgrade, pw2, serial