Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Blue Lights

Let the banter begin...

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/0...es6JL3K4swy9EA
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Perfectly sensible.
The idea that light from tablets is damaging to your eyes in a way that other lights aren't has always been junk.
The idea that it may cause issues with sleep patterns is reasonable.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Yep....just like staring at a book for hours on end, or reading before going to bed. Both of which I've done since I was a kid and will do until I die.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The article doesn't seem that conclusive. "Probably" and "not necessarily" seems more like a guess than any kind of scientific finding.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Either the article is missing the point or I am.

I don't remember hearing that blue light was damaging to vision. What I have heard is that blue light throws off sleep patterns, which is why the readers that have color changing light tend to reduce the white/blue light in the evening.

Now, I'm willing to say that this may be bunk as well, but it's different from the bunk the Washingtonian article is trying to disprove.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Either the article is missing the point or I am.

I don't remember hearing that blue light was damaging to vision. What I have heard is that blue light throws off sleep patterns, which is why the readers that have color changing light tend to reduce the white/blue light in the evening.

Now, I'm willing to say that this may be bunk as well, but it's different from the bunk the Washingtonian article is trying to disprove.
They have been talking about it causing early macular degeneration for the last few years now .....
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
They have been talking about it causing early macular degeneration for the last few years now .....
Oh. Now where's the darn blushing emoji...

Here it is
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The article doesn't seem that conclusive. "Probably" and "not necessarily" seems more like a guess than any kind of scientific finding.
It's called journalism. It's a safe bet that they may understand at best 25% of what they're reporting on and simply leave out the stuff they didn't understand.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Reasons to still use eReaders :

1.) The science is not conclusive even though the blue light probably does not harm your eyes.

2.) Just because it does not harm your eyes does not mean that reading on e-ink is a more comfortable experience for how many people ? I dunno, I can say for me it is but probably for others too because that is what it is designed for.

3.)The newest generation of e-ink eReaders have warm light which won't throw off your circadian rythm.

4.) Sure people say they read on their tablets and phones but the sessions are probably not as long and serious because one can be easily distracted by e-mail, texts, web browsing and the like etc... etc.. so you need Nazi like discipline (at least I would) to read on one ideally as much as an eReader.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
4.) Sure people say they read on their tablets and phones but the sessions are probably not as long and serious because one can be easily distracted by e-mail, texts, web browsing and the like etc... etc.. so you need Nazi like discipline (at least I would) to read on one ideally as much as an eReader.
Perhaps you should only speak to your own habits and personal discipline, then. Because you're sure dead wrong about mine.

Oh hurr derp derp derp. Reading on this tablet shore is fun. So glad I don't have to get two serious about it tho. Oh look, a squirrel!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2019 at 06:15 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Oh hurr derp derp derp. Reading on this tablet shore is fun. So glad I don't have to get two serious about it tho. Oh look, a squirrel!
Exactly how my reading on a tablet looks like.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Duh, I forgot one :

5.) longer battery life
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
Reasons to still use eReaders :

1.) The science is not conclusive even though the blue light probably does not harm your eyes.

2.) Just because it does not harm your eyes does not mean that reading on e-ink is a more comfortable experience for how many people ? I dunno, I can say for me it is but probably for others too because that is what it is designed for.

3.)The newest generation of e-ink eReaders have warm light which won't throw off your circadian rythm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Perhaps you should only speak to your own habits and personal discipline, then. Because you're sure dead wrong about mine.

Don't you just love how some people think that we are all the same, just stamped out in a factory.
I too read constantly on my tablet. The only time I use my tablet for email or forum browsing is if I am traveling. I use a PC the rest of the times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never had a problem with the battery life of my tablet.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And as far as distractions go; I don't know about you, but I found that most devices have these new-fangled things called volume buttons on them. Some of them will even let you do crazy stuff like go offline. Which is great! Because I could never do anything like ignore an email my own big self.

How long of a reading session would I need to do on a tablet to be considered a "serious" one, anyway? I hope it's not longer than four or five hours at a stretch. My bladder's just not what it used to be.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2019 at 08:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote