Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Onyx Boox Kon-Tiki2 firmware question

So I purchased an Onyx Boox Kon-Tiki2 from Amazon. This is basically a Nova 3 without the WACOM layer. I like the device but it's running an older firmware v3.0.

I see that Onyx just released v3.2 for it's other devices but it's not available for this one. I inquired from Onyx about it but no response.

This has made me reconsider buying this reader. It's already 2 firmware versions behind and it doesn't seem like Onyx supports their non-US market devices as well the others. I'm still within the Amazon return window so should I send it back and buy the Nova Air for $50 more instead?

Is it possible to flash this device with the firmware for Nova 3 or would I risk bricking it?
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:20 PM   #2
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UPDATE: Onyx responded and said they do not handle firmware updates for devices sold by foreign distributors. So basically, you're out of luck if you own a Kon-Tiki2, Darwin, Lumunosov, or other non-US Boox device.

Needless to say, as much as I like this reader, I'm going to have to return it and seek out a Nova 3 or similar device.
Advert
Old 01-08-2022, 02:06 PM   #3
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
They do update the firmware, but it does lag behind the official updates quite a bit. I also don't think that the 3.0 on Kon-tiki directly corresponds to Onyx's official 3.0. I've been following the discussions about Kon-tiki on Russian forums, as I have a Nova 3 and it's pretty much the same hardware (only with the Wacom layer and newer firmware).

I would get a Nova 3, as the screen seems clearer than on the Nova Air. This is if you really want or need the features of the latest software. Otherwise I would probably keep the device.

EDIT: I just remembered: the software for at least the Russian Kon-tiki doesn't update over the air. You'd have to manually download and install the update. So there might be updated firmware for it already. But you would have to find it on their website.

The latest firmware can be found here: https://onyxboox.com/support/boox_kontiki2

It might be that you are already using the latest firmware, since you bought the device recently.

Last edited by kandwo; 01-08-2022 at 02:11 PM.
kandwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:22 PM   #4
azayn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
They do update the firmware, but it does lag behind the official updates quite a bit. I also don't think that the 3.0 on Kon-tiki directly corresponds to Onyx's official 3.0. I've been following the discussions about Kon-tiki on Russian forums, as I have a Nova 3 and it's pretty much the same hardware (only with the Wacom layer and newer firmware).

I would get a Nova 3, as the screen seems clearer than on the Nova Air. This is if you really want or need the features of the latest software. Otherwise I would probably keep the device.

EDIT: I just remembered: the software for at least the Russian Kon-tiki doesn't update over the air. You'd have to manually download and install the update. So there might be updated firmware for it already. But you would have to find it on their website.

The latest firmware can be found here: https://onyxboox.com/support/boox_kontiki2

It might be that you are already using the latest firmware, since you bought the device recently.
Thanks for the info about the Nova Air. Interesting that Nova 3 has better clarity. Wonder if that’s due to the non-removable screen protector on the Air?

The firmware you linked to is the one that came with my device so looks like its at the current version.

One of the reasons I went for the Russian version is it doesn’t have the WACOM layer which I heard improves screen clarity. Any idea how the Nova 3’s screen compares to the Kon-Tiki2’s?
Old 01-10-2022, 05:15 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Interesting that Nova 3 has better clarity. Wonder if that’s due to the non-removable screen protector on the Air?

The firmware you linked to is the one that came with my device so looks like its at the current version.

One of the reasons I went for the Russian version is it doesn’t have the WACOM layer which I heard improves screen clarity. Any idea how the Nova 3’s screen compares to the Kon-Tiki2’s?
The Wacom layer is behind the screen and the writing film of the Nova Air and Note Air 2 significantly deteriorates the image quality
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert